One Item To Buy

TravelGal22

Just really not a lot here except gorgeous white sand beaches and crystal clear turquoise water. I too am a shopper but didn't buy a single souvenir here.

We did a great wall dive with Blue Water Divers and then had some wonderful conch strips and a cold beer right on the beach !!!! Not a souvenir that you can put on your shelf but I have GREAT memories of those conch strips and that cold beer ;)

I have a jar of sea glass that I found along the shore of Grand Turk. I always try to find interesting rocks, shells, and/or washed up corals from each port that we visit. I got hooked on collecting sea glass this year. It is amazing how much sea glass that you can find just walking along the beach.

Have fun!

Julie

Depending where you are going, conch shells might be a no-no. We have had them confiscated as they harbour organisms and are on the do-not-import list in many countries. We are heading for Turks and Caicos for the first time in a few weeks, too, so I am sorry I can't offer any suggestions about other mememtos!

Unfortunately, there aren't too many shops at Grand Turk, either, and we noticed that the lack of competition made souvenir items that much more expensive. My sister wanted to bring home a Grand Turk hoodie or t-shirt for her sons, and the prices were much higher than we'd seen at St. Thomas or San Juan. (No "3 tee-shirts for $10" deals here!)

So...maybe picking up an empty conch shell is your best bet. ;)

I like to buy an ornament at each port.

I also have an oven mitt and potholder with reef fish and it says Turks and Caicos.

Both are great reminders of fun days.

My souvenir reminder of our fun day at Grand Turk was free: a little Turks & Caicos paper flag that had been stuck in my hamburger from Margaritaville. I was pretty shocked anyone had actually made any; it's not like the place is that big! :)

I usually buy a magnet from each port/location I visit while on vacation. Have one from here already. May look for the shells or I like the sea glass idea. Really depends on what my group wants to do. I'll mention these ideas. Some may like the tram ride by a local......we'll see

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that wherever you go in the Caribbean/Central America all tourist art and souvenirs seem the same. I rarely, if ever buy anything anymore. All I collect now is some coinage from the visiting country and something interesting washed up on the beach I find.

• 3 weeks later...

I often buy small water colors. I change them every once in a while. They are not always easy to find, but will look. The sea glass soundes good. Since the tsunami in Japan, there is a lot of stuff floating around. Not sure if the right area though.

Archived