How do O transfers work when you arrive early morning in MIA

iamalwaysready2go

Truthfully I would just take a taxi for $25 plus tip MUCH cheaper

You will probably wait for other to fill the bus then maybe a city tour on the way to the ship

You will not be able to board till after 11 am if in the top suites later if not

Go have something to eat at the airport & take a cab

Lyn

I, too, agree with Lyn -- we always grab a cab. If we're far away (such as going from central Rome to Civitavecchia) we reserve a van with some other passengers. That's where the Roll Call comes in handy.

That being said, I remember staying in Dover pre-cruise with Renaissance back in May '01 and seeing the slack-eyed passengers arriving at the hotel to sit, rest and have coffee before they could board. So I would assume this is pretty normal with all cruise lines where you arrive early in the morning and have booked a transfer to the ship.

We also prefer to come in at least a day early. That gives us "slack" for arrival problems, and we have some time to adjust to the time difference. Besides, we usually want to see the city before we board the ship. It does make a difference.

Sometimes if you calculate the cost of a hotel and a cab versus the overpriced transfer, you are better off -- even if you pay for a deviation and use their air. It used to be that we always did better booking our own air and taking the credit from O, but that isn't so true these days. The O credit is less and air fares are higher. But if you want to fly above coach level, then doing your own air (in our experience) is usually better. Some of O's contracts with the airlines don't permit upgrading with your miles, some do. But asking for an upgrade with O for biz air is pretty much only worth it if money is no object. And even then I think it is "restricted" which means that if you are flying over land you will be in coach.

When I was younger and thinner I didn't mind coach ...now I do!

Mura

Thanks all for the info. Maybe we will get refunded for the transfers we purchased and just grab a cab. But say we want to go check out South Beach for a few hours. What would we do with all our luggage? :confused:

The ship will have arrived in Miami at 6AM from the previous cruise, and the same porters who help those passengers off the ship will later help you onto it.

If you get to the Port at 10AM or later, you shouldn't have a problem checking your luggage and then continuing on to South Beach for a few hours.

Oceania will have a man at luggage with a sign. Unfortunately, he will probably

tell you to go eat breakfast in the airport and come back at 8:30 am. That bus company gave a short tour of Miami and then took those people to the ship around 11:30 a.m.

We were so glad that we took the free shuttle to the Marriott and eat breakfast there and then took a taxi to the port (this was 2 years ago).

Oceania charges way too much and offers lousy service. Their rep looked like he just woke up and stumbled to the airport.

Needless to say when we go again we will do the same and go it on our own.

Archived