TWO STORY Cabanas @ HMC??!!

PeaceLoveCruise

I just can't begin to imagine how awful these are going to be. HMC is becoming less and less like the island I so love. We've always rented a cabana and had an amazing day at the beach - but all this construction is diluting the experience to the point where we'll probably just enjoy the view from the ship. SO sad!

There are only 4 cabanas out of 15 rented for our cruise. How can they build more when they can't rent the existing ones? No one wants to pay 399 who is going to pay 550?

On a couple of our recent cruises, very few of the cabanas were rented out.

I have a feeling that these new 2 story cabanas are being built more for the Carnival people. They get to rent them for a lot less than what HAL charges.

Okay -- I did find the pictures of the new cabanas under construction.

from J Alex's Mom:

And down the beach to the last of the five new cabanas (between cabana 12 & 13):

Westerdam011.jpg

I took this of one from behind:

Westerdam022.jpg

And this is the view of all five from the ship. Note that they are all located after the Pirate Ship bar:

Westerdam066.jpg

I have a feeling that these new 2 story cabanas are being built more for the Carnival people. They get to rent them for a lot less than what HAL charges.

I didn't realize Carnival passengers can rent them cheaper. Doesn't seem fair. :(

I have cruised on both Holland America and Carnival. I hate to burst your bubble PMS4104, but the clientelle was very similar on both lines, except there were noticeably more elderly passengers on Holland. Some of the peoplel on this board really believe that they are better than most other cruisers. Very sad.

I was just there and the pics above speaks for itself. I rented the last one at the end for $400 --so NOT worth it. I only saw about 4 that were rented. The one next to us was being used by the crew. I'm sure they did not pay $400. We were not the first off the ship, had to wait for the truck to take us and then when we got to the cabana, nothing was there. The food came about 30 minutes later, we never got our fins and masks even after we filled out the paperwork. The guys came to take everything away about 1:30 so we just went back to the ship. On our last cruise with princess we rented a cabana and it was so much better and cheaper. Good luck HAL with renting the new ones!:(

There are only 4 cabanas out of 15 rented for our cruise. How can they build more when they can't rent the existing ones? No one wants to pay 399 who is going to pay 550?
I have rented a cabana every time I have been to HMC, but at $400 for 4 people, I think they have priced themselves away, at least for me. However, I would be much more interested in paying $550 for 8 people in the large multi-level cabana with a hot tub than paying $400 for 4 people in a 10x10 foot shed with a deck attached.

Thanks for finding and getting the pics into this post KK.

I'll reserve FULL judgment until I see the completed pics, after all, I kinda like the Captain Morgans Bar, but the spacing on these doesn't make sense. They should have either removed a few of the "old" cabanas and put these in their place, or put them all together and had a "2 story cabana district" of sorts.

I have rented a cabana every time I have been to HMC, but at $400 for 4 people, I think they have priced themselves away, at least for me. However, I would be much more interested in paying $550 for 8 people in the large multi-level cabana with a hot tub than paying $400 for 4 people in a 10x10 foot shed with a deck attached.

And I suppose it's a good alterative to loading the vista class full of cabanas, right? :)

At least with what I've heard on the Pinnacle Class the Cabana stuation should be much more to the liking of the "general population"

Thing is, for me, I loved that rustic old 10x10 shed with a deck. It was a perfect blend of "island life" and a few conveniences. It could never be the same with 2 story cabanas blocking my up-and-down-the-beach view. I do realize there are folks who will like them, but from my perspective - they can have them. Still SO sad.

That's interesting; on our charters they are all booked as soon as they become available. (Cabanas on the ship are allocated by lottery!) BTW, for our charters excursions etc are opened on a specific date a couple of weeks before the cruise so that everyone has an equal opportunity to make reservations.

I have a feeling the double decker cabanas will be popular on RSVP charters. :)

Thing is, for me, I loved that rustic old 10x10 shed with a deck. It was a perfect blend of "island life" and a few conveniences. It could never be the same with 2 story cabanas blocking my up-and-down-the-beach view. I do realize there are folks who will like them, but from my perspective - they can have them. Still SO sad.
I never said I didn't like the rustic old 10x10 sheds, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost at this point. What I am saying is I think it will be easier for groups to justify the higher cost of the big cabanas when you look at what it is and the price per person. I'm not sure I like the development that's taken place on HMC over the years either, but I don't think its sad, I think its progress. Its giving the masses what they want. Its business. Look at any beach in the world and compare it to what it was 10-20 years ago and I think you'll see what HAL is doing is not atypical. People want these things.

A hot tub at a sandy beach? I don't see that combination working. :rolleyes: I see lots of "out of order" signs.
For what its worth, we have had a hot tub on the deck of our beach house that we rent out for many years. Its never been an issue. Its about 15 feet from the dunes. If maintained and cleaned properly, it not a problem. The question is whether or not HAL will maintain and clean them properly.

I was on HMC a week aga, and had a look at the new jumbo cabanas. Three are in a row between Captain Morgan's ship and the purple cabana, while the other two are in other gaps among the old cabanas. I was told that each story will rent seperately, and will rent for the same as the current cabanas. At the moment, the cabanas are in the final stages of framing, and I was told that it would be a year till they were finished. The new cabanas are certainly HUGE compared to the old ones.

I'll take my $15.99 clamshell, thanks. I just hope when I go to HMC next month there is no sea rash. That spoiled my first visit. Nothing like going snorkeling and getting stung by thousands of microbial jellyfish.

It caused me to go back to the boat and take a good freshwater shower. Fortunately I made it back in time for the BBQ and my walking tour of the Cay.

I have always loved HMC. It has always been one of my favourite ports of call in the Caribbean.

We first went there 4 months after HAL bought it (leased it?). It was wonderful then.

The way things are going (pirate ship and 2 storey cabanas), if I go there again, I think I will stay on the ship.

This makes me very sad. Shame on you HAL :(

A hot tub at a sandy beach? I don't see that combination working. :rolleyes: I see lots of "out of order" signs.

We paid $$$ for the oasis (and not w a big group) and hot tub was not working.

There was also about 1.5 hour delay on food and drinks.

Tamarind staff is now running the Oasis.

The girls were dolls.

Archived