Silversea Galapagos released

machotspur

Booked the Silver Galapagos for Feb, 2014- deciding factor for us were the 2 side by side cabins with shared balcony (travel with family) vs the shared larger suite on Celebrity.

We arrive Weds night for the Sat sail, so would welcome recommendations for what to do on our own (or hire a guide) for the 2 days pre-cruise.

Just heard via a friend that someone she met picked up Hep A on their trip- has anyone's Dr recommended the vaccine pre cruise?

Booked the Silver Galapagos for Feb, 2014- deciding factor for us were the 2 side by side cabins with shared balcony (travel with family) vs the shared larger suite on Celebrity.

We arrive Weds night for the Sat sail, so would welcome recommendations for what to do on our own (or hire a guide) for the 2 days pre-cruise.

Just heard via a friend that someone she met picked up Hep A on their trip- has anyone's Dr recommended the vaccine pre cruise?

If your pre-cruise is in Quito, check out the early posts from our Galapagos blog archive (July 2012) ... we spent three days pre and one day post. Two of those days were with a private guide ... went north to the Otavalo area one day; south to the Cotopaxi Volcano another day. On our own, we did the Hop-on Hop-off bus for an overview of the city and wandered on our own the rest of the time. Link to the blog is in my signature.

We are also going in Feb- the 15th sailing. Which one are you on? We are doing a 5 day/4 night Amazon Basin cruise on the Manatee and then the "cruise train" from Quito to Gualquil before the cruise. With about 4 days in Quito between.

We are doing the Feb 28th. Just have 2 days in Quito pre & 1 day in Guayaquil post. Sounds like you have a great trip planned- we are still working & cannot take all that time.

As far as the Hep vaccines- I am pretty sure I have had 1 of them, need to go over when I have my physical.

H2so4, I had read your blog a few months ago while I was in the "booking" process. I have also emailed Lincoln without any response about 2 months ago.:confused: Did you have any problems getting in touch with him via email & how long in advance did you book him?

Have a voyage set for Nov 9 of this year with a pre and post land trip. Will get back to everyone while onboard or when we get back.

Can't wait to get your report! One thing I am excited about is the glass bottom boat! I am not much of a snorkler & it will give me the opportunity to see more than I would with my limited time in the water (I get the heebee jeebies when I snorkle, just not comfortable but I do it for a bit).

Also happy that it is a refurbished boat, new is always nicer & when spending this amount of money, that justifies it a bit. Then when I see the pictures of the wildlife, it justifies it the rest!!

H2so4, I had read your blog a few months ago while I was in the "booking" process. I have also emailed Lincoln without any response about 2 months ago.:confused: Did you have any problems getting in touch with him via email & how long in advance did you book him?

We booked at least six months in advance. He was very prompt in responding. Did you use the hotmail address (lincolnjabra@hotmail.com)? I know his yahoo email was hacked and he switched emails soon after our trip. If the email above doesn't work, you might check the Ecuador board on Trip Advisor for more recent contact information. (I'd check myself, but I am at a campground with very, very slow internet.)

We booked at least six months in advance. He was very prompt in responding. Did you use the hotmail address (lincolnjabra@hotmail.com)? I know his yahoo email was hacked and he switched emails soon after our trip. If the email above doesn't work, you might check the Ecuador board on Trip Advisor for more recent contact information. (I'd check myself, but I am at a campground with very, very slow internet.)

Thank you.

Just tried the hotmail address (not sure what I used before) & will see if this email goes through & gets a response. I am thinking Cloud Forest & Otavalo with him- should those be my choices? The other day we will city tour ourselves.

Also looked on the CDC website & they recommend plenty of vaccines, yikes!

Will discuss with my Dr.

Have been following the issue on Xpedition with the stabilizers & the lobster & now I am really glad we went to Silversea. I am sure it could happen to any ship, but the stabilizer issue (for me who is prone to seasickness on a smaller boat) is not how I want to approach a dream trip. I feel so bad for the people whose cruise was just canceled, sure many are already in Quito for 6/2 sailing.

Have been following the issue on Xpedition with the stabilizers & the lobster & now I am really glad we went to Silversea. I am sure it could happen to any ship, but the stabilizer issue (for me who is prone to seasickness on a smaller boat) is not how I want to approach a dream trip. I feel so bad for the people whose cruise was just canceled, sure many are already in Quito for 6/2 sailing.

Was just thinking exactly the same thing- and reminding myself not to expect lobsters on our sailing in Feb. And to be off and on and off again during the course of a week- many of the people have been planning this trip for a long period of time and are probably already there. I simply can't imagine it.

Thank you.

Just tried the hotmail address (not sure what I used before) & will see if this email goes through & gets a response. I am thinking Cloud Forest & Otavalo with him- should those be my choices? The other day we will city tour ourselves.

Also looked on the CDC website & they recommend plenty of vaccines, yikes!

Will discuss with my Dr.

Not sure it is possible to do Otavalo and Mindo Forest on the same day ... at least not without spending quality time at each,but I could be wrong. Lincoln will be able to tell you for sure. We opted against the Mindo Forest this time, leaving it for another time when we will spend time in the area. Our reasons were two fold ... having gone to Otavalo, etc. on one day, we wanted a day south of Quito for our second day. Second, birding is best done early in the morning (or evening), and by the time you get to Mindo, it is already mid-morning; considering the distance back to the city, staying late wasn't something we wanted to do, either. (Those who have done the trip have reported seeing some birds.)

He emailed me back promptly this time, thanks so much.

• 2 months later...

We just booked for the 26th of July, 2014. Ester at silversea was AWESOME and very helpful in our cabin choice and getting a discount for our daughter who will be sharing our cabin. We looked at several companies for this trip but Silversea had the best cabins, itinerary, amenities and were surprisingly child friendly. We are really looking forward to this trip. My husband is a geophysicist and I am a veterinarian so between the animals and the geology this sounds like heaven!

Last summer, we spent a day with private guide Alex Lomas in Quito. He was very accommodating. We had a great day. He was great at presenting options. Enjoy yourselves.

CDC recommends the hep vaccines for most travel to more out of the way places. One thing to be aware of- if you are going to the Amazon area you probably should get the yellow fever jabs. And if you are stopping on the way home anyplace- we have a couple of days in Panama- then you will need to have the yellow fever to enter that country. Whether you have been in yellow fever areas or not. As we are of an age where the yellow fever vaccination is discouraged, we may try to change our return plans. Wish I had know this before we made the plane reservations.

CDC recommends the hep vaccines for most travel to more out of the way places. One thing to be aware of- if you are going to the Amazon area you probably should get the yellow fever jabs. And if you are stopping on the way home anyplace- we have a couple of days in Panama- then you will need to have the yellow fever to enter that country. Whether you have been in yellow fever areas or not. As we are of an age where the yellow fever vaccination is discouraged, we may try to change our return plans. Wish I had know this before we made the plane reservations.

Already had part 1 of my hep A shot. We are only going to Quito & Guayaquil, no other add ons, so that is all we are getting for this trip.

Cannot believe I booked this trip 6 months ago & it will be here in another 6! Time sure does fly by...I did find hats in my local Costco that have sun protection & the neck cover (guess they are like the Tilley hats) for $20, so I have already gotten those as well as sun protection shirts. Have read the Celebrity thread & have picked up many helpful hints from there for clothing ideas.

• 2 months later...
I would like to know what is the review so far of Silver Galapagos, I am sailing in December,,,,,I have been reading not too good reviews,,,Any input???:confused:

I posted the single review (very brief and general) that I have found in searching around. Have you found others? Could you link us to them- although it is too late for me to change my mind.

Archived