Silversea Galapagos released

machotspur

I've just noticed that the Galapagos itineraries & fares have now been released on the Silversea website.

Details are shown for September 2013 through to December 2014.

There appears to be several different 7 day itineraries running right through the year.

The Silver Galapagos used to be a Renaissance ship built in 1990 (22 years old, similar to the Cloud and Wind). The following is an interesting article about the ship:

http://www.galapagosonline.com/Cruises/galapagosexplorer-map.htm

GALAPAGOS EXPLORER II SHIP INFORMATION, SPECIFICATIONS AND VIDEO

Galapagos Explorer II Capacity

100 passengers and 70 crew members

Public Areas

The Galapagos Expedition was originally built as part of the Renaissance fleet the public areas are grand and keep in line of an international level cruise ship. In addition to the Jacuzzi and outdoor bar, the five decks feature a restaurant, library, conference center, play area, medical center, boutique, massage suite and reception area.

On Board Meals

Breakfast and lunch buffets and for dinner there are a variety of dishes (you can choose from two entrees and two vegetarian options): Dinner onboard the Galapagos Explorer II is casual and there is no need for advanced reservations. Meals feature both Ecuadorian and international cuisine; special diets can also be prepared.

Suites

The Galapagos Explorer II is a superb ship that offers only suites. The suites average of 250 ft2 (20 m2) and they are comfortable yet harmonious with the surroundings. Cabins have two twin beds which can be converted into a double as well as a sofa that can be converted to a bed to sleep a maximum of three per cabin. There are four categories:

Renaissance Balcony, Renaissance Panoramic, Deluxe Balcony, Premium, and Classic; each one displays a classic and elegant decor. During your cruise you will enjoy the best comfort and service.

Special Features of the Galapagos Explorer II

Amenities on board include a Jacuzzi, Al Fresco bar, conference room, piano bar, library, solarium, boutique, medical center, massage suite, wireless internet, satellite communication from suites and glass bottom boat.

Cruise Departure Types

The Galapagos Explorer II is outfitted for group charters or individual passengers on naturalist cruises of either 4 nights or 6 nights. All cruises include snorkeling and hiking.

Construction

Built in 1990

Ship Dimensions

293 feet (88.16 m) in length 49 feet in beam (15.3 m)

Motors and Speed

MAN B&W main engine to travel at a designed speed of 15.5 knots

Safety Information

The Galapagos Explorer II abides under all international standards of safety for a ship of its type. Certifications include ISM Certificate, ISPS Certificate, SOLAS Passenger Safety Certificate, International Load Line Certificate, Marpol (Prevention of pollution) (IOPP), Classification: RINA (Registro Italiano Navale. Safety equipment includes Furuno FR-1510 Mark III Radar; Furuno FR-2125 Radar Arpa, Shipmate Satellite Navigator, Furuno GPS, Anschutz Gyro Compas, Salwico Fire Alarm, GMDSS Raytheon Radio, Satcom Fax &

• 2 months later...

Planning on going to Galapagos May 2014. Smaller or Larger ships? I know I won't get feedback till Fall 2013 on Silver Galapagos. SO could use help now as to pick maybe the photo Lindblat Nat Geo....had friend that loved it....only going once so want to get the right size boat!:D

Haven't been on Lindblad in Galapagos, but have been in Costa Rica. Note: it was our first ever cruise 16 yrs ago. We had a great time, but our expectations are totally different now. The cabins were VERY small with tiny bathrooms. No tv in the cabin. Food was ok but just that, not anywhere the quality I would expect on Silversea. The guides and excursions were great however. One of our best ever naturalist guides was David. (See, I even remember his name, so he was really good.)

The thing with the Galapagos is that groups going ashore are restricted to no more than 16 per guide (yes, everyone goes ashore with a guide ... except in the towns). So, size of ship becomes irrelevant unless you go on a boat smaller than 16 pax ... even with the 16 pax ships, I would doubt that the pax would be broken into smaller groups because each would have to be provided a guide, and that's another expense for the company. We went with Celebrity Xpedition last summer (90 pax) and were very happy with our experience. (Link to my blog in my signature.) It's an option to consider if you don't want to wait for feedback on the Silver Galapagos sailings before you book.

We went on the Xpedition a few years ago, everything was very well done. Going back in July for a second trip. I like the fact that it is small, the guides are excellent, two excursions a day, and each of those are broken down into 3 levels. The pre and post in Quito is nice, as it includes your airfare, and entrance fee into the Galapagos. No matter which ship you choose, it is quite a lovely trip.

• 1 month later...

Your very welcome Beth, C and you will have a blast. We will probably go to Tuscany (cooking itinerary for Ida) then the Dolomites (hiking for moi) in September 2014.

Your very welcome Beth, C and you will have a blast. We will probably go to Tuscany (cooking itinerary for Ida) then the Dolomites (hiking for moi) in September 2014.

Hi Wes, We are excited to go to the Galapagos and have been busy planning this week. So far off, though. Your's and Ida's adventures sound so much fun. Ida's Tuscany cooking tour may cause you to do more exercising!!:D The hiking will surely help.

in the mean time Beth, between our Cloud (London Tower to Reykjavik and back) in July and Fall crossing (Spirit in November) we are doing a nine day Cuba trip with Ida's Master Gardener group.

Silversea announces land programs with the Silversea Galapagos:

http://www.silversea.com/media-centre/press-releases/?pressrelease=15514

Thanks Wes, SS did a preview event for UK Venetians last night at the Royal Geographical Society where they announced a tie up with the Society giving them access to the Society's maps, material etc to compliment both the Galapogos and Explorer voyages, plus a handful of classic voyages. Official announcement is I believe within the next 10 days.

This looks like a good move by SS.

Silversea sent me this email today:

Be one of the first to join us on an adventure in learning aboard Silver Galapagos' Premiere Voyage on January 25, 2014.

To view this email online please click here.

Add silversealuxurycruises@silversea.com to your address book to ensure our emails reach your inbox.

Silversea Reservation 1877-289-2101

PLAN A VOYAGE SPECIAL OFFERS ORDER A BROCHURE REQUEST A CALL REQUEST A QUOTE

Announcing Our Premiere Voyage

Exclusive 7 day advance bookings for members of the Venetian Society - Request a Quote!

HIGHLIGHTS & SPECIAL EVENTS

• Guest lecturers, Dr. Paul D. Stewart and Richard Wollocombe

• Expedition team including renowned zoologists, naturalists, writers and photographers

• Premiere Lecture Programme supported by Royal Geographical Society

• A memorable cultural experience at a local Ecuadorian school

• Voyage hosted by senior executives of Silversea

• Commemorative Silver Galapagos logo apparel

• Commemorative "old world" chart of the Galapagos Islands

• Hand-crafted sculpture by a local Ecuadorian artisan

DAYS VOYAGE FROM/TO SILVER PRIVILEGE

EXPLORER SUITE FARES FROM SILVER PRIVILEGE

VERANDA SUITE FARES FROM SILVER SKY*

AIR FROM

7 8404 Baltra to Baltra $5,950 $8,150 $1,100

* The Silver Galapagos Air Package from Quito to Baltra and return to Guayaquil, park entrance fees and immigration fees are additional costs and not reflected in the fares shown above. Please contact Silversea Reservations for pricing.

— SPECIAL GUEST LECTURERS —

PAUL STEWART DR. PAUL STEWART, Award-winning Zoologist, Writer, Producer and Photographer

Having earned his Doctorate from Oxford's Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, Dr. Stewart has won the national Prince Philip Zoology prize. He has written and photographed for wildlife magazines around the world, including his book "Galapagos — Islands That Changed the World." He is also a multiple Primetime Emmy and BAFTA award-winning cameraman and producer across 40 countries.

RICHARD WOLLOCOMBE RICHARD WOLLOCOMBE, Renowned Wildlife Cameraman, Naturalist and Galapagos Resident

Mr. Wollocombe is an Emmy and RTS award-winning cameraman with 15 years experience filming on land and underwater. His natural history filmmaking credentials include extensive work for Discovery in the South Pacific, as well as his award-winning Galapagos, voted best film at the Jackson Hole Film Festival. As a resident of the Galapagos, Mr. Wollocombe knows first hand the natural riches the islands possess.

Got the same email. Galapagos is not a place I would want to go for a maiden voyage. Too many issues.

Rachel, I would agree with you about not taking a maiden voyage, but this cruise is 4 months after the Sept. 28, 2013, first Silver Galapagos cruise. They should be in a routine by then.

• 1 month later...
in the mean time Beth, between our Cloud (London Tower to Reykjavik and back) in July and Fall crossing (Spirit in November) we are doing a nine day Cuba trip with Ida's Master Gardener group.

Hi Wes,

Just curious. How did you get permission to enter Cuba? I thought travel to Cuba was still a no no for a US citizen. Elsie

HI Elsie,

I did not get permission to travel to Cuba but the Travel Organization who is running our tour is working with another agency that has a valid US Dept of Treasury licenseto travel to cuba.

Ida's Master Gardener hero, Walter Reeves (renown here in Atlanta for last four decades) since 2011, now sponsors a Cuba trip annually. Pls see this link from last year's trip: (btw, just heard from Earthbound expeditions today that Walter's 2013 (not advertised but word of mouth (last year's group had first priorty) is sold out after 85 days with extensive wait list).

http://www.walterreeves.com/how-to-archive/cuba-trip-2012-tour-group/

This is our itinerary (Oct 10-Oct 18)

http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/Cuba%20with%20Walter%20Reeves%202013.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=480483&part=2

Elsie, Walter's travel organization, Earthbound Expeditions works with a third party, Vaja Sojourn who has a US. Dept. of Treasury OFAC license to travel to Cuba. Pls see below. US permits these people to people (Educational/cultural groups) organizations

to travel to Cuba if they have a valid OFAC license.

General & Specific Licenses for Travel (taken from this link: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html

General licenses are available for certain categories of travel. General licenses constitute authorization for those transactions set forth in the relevant provision of the Cuban Assets Control Regulations. No further permission from the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is required to engage in transactions covered by a general license.

Specific licenses are also available for certain categories of travel. OFAC will consider the issuance of specific licenses on a case-by-case basis to permit travel-related transactions where the proposed activity is not covered by a general license but is addressed by one of the statements of licensing policy listed in section 31 C.F.R. part 515.560(a) and set forth in a related section of the Regulations. A specific license applicant must wait for OFAC to issue the license prior to engaging in travel-related transactions.

Elsie, if you're interested in traveling to Cuba, Tauck does Cuba tours, pls see:

http://www.tauck.com/faq/Traveling%20to%20Cuba.aspx

Thanks Wes. Sorry about hijacking the thread. As a Canadian I am free to visit Cuba at any time but know that it is difficult if you are from the US. Many of my friends go there for vacations. It has never been on my bucket list but doing what Ida is doing sounds more interesting than staying at a resort.

I now return you to the original thread with my apologies. Elsie

• 2 weeks later...
Have a voyage set for Nov 9 of this year with a pre and post land trip. Will get back to everyone while onboard or when we get back.

Thanks- very much interested in some actual reports from the Silversea version of the Galapagos Islands.

Archived