Itinerary change- America's Cup

terrifish

Has anyone received any communication from Celebrity or their Travel Agent on this change? My TA has not received anything on this....neither have I.

The more I think about this, the more I get disappointed in Celebrity.....if I hadn't heard about it on here, I wouldn't have known about the change.

NADA here...only learned about it on CC.

I think the key part of this itinerary for most who booked it was the opportunity to watch the Americas Cup race from their balcony while the ship was docked in San Francisco.

Not so sure you would see much from your balcony. Here is the race course and where the cruise dock is located. Even being on the side of the ship facing the course you won't be at the best viewing angle.

Americas%20cup%20cruise%20dock.jpg

Well, perhaps it is a good sign that there has been no official word on the itinerary change. Maybe they're waiting to see what the noise level is prior to giving options. My TA sent a message to her Cel rep on Sunday asking for options. She hasn't heard anything yet.....or she didn't like the answer.

The Port of San Francisco shows Solstice at pier 35 versus 27. Pier 35 would allow viewing of part of the race from upper starboard side balconies.

Thanks! I forgot that Pier 27 was the backup terminal to 35, and is now closed until spring 2014 for remodeling into the new primary cruise terminal. http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=282

Thanks! I forgot that Pier 27 was the backup terminal to 35, and is now closed until spring 2014 for remodeling into the new primary cruise terminal. http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=282

Pier 35 should give a little bit better view than what Pier 27 would have. The top decks of the ship and a pair of good binoculars on a tripod should do the trick? ;) I'm not sure how much easier it would have been on the old schedule arriving the day prior and trying to get venue tickets. Wouldn't these be sold out well in advance?

Take a look at Millennium (same day), so far the ports have not been changed....

BILL

I have jumped ship and now will be on the Millennium-- thanks Bill. It looks like you have a nice roll call group -- I will join you there when I get it all finished up.

There is a ship in San Francisco today at Pier 35. It appears that there would be decent sight lines to the America's Cup races from it.

David

You're right, I was alongside pier35 on Century October 1. We were in a deck eight balcony and had a wide angle view from Coit Tower past Fisherman's Wharf, Marina Green, Golden Gate, Sausalito, Alcatraz and Angel Island. It covered the whole race course except the finish line which is off the stern.

I have jumped ship and now will be on the Millennium-- thanks Bill. It looks like you have a nice roll call group -- I will join you there when I get it all finished up.

We will welcome you to a FUN roll call...

BILL

• 1 month later...

The northern ports were eliminated because the America's Cup planners moved the race schedule up a week. The only way for Solstice to be in SF port for any part of the AC event was to eliminate the northern ports and speed down to SF directly. As it is, the AC event could be all over before Solstice even departs Seattle, if there is a winner in each of the first 8 races. The events on Sunday 9/15 will be races #11 and 12.

It also seems likely that the berth for Solstice will be at one of the piers below the Bay Bridge, as the piers usually used by Celebrity are now reserved as headquarters for the AC events. Given the layout of the bay, that would mean no visibility from the ship.

The northern ports were eliminated because the America's Cup planners moved the race schedule up a week. The only way for Solstice to be in SF port for any part of the AC event was to eliminate the northern ports and speed down to SF directly. As it is, the AC event could be all over before Solstice even departs Seattle, if there is a winner in each of the first 8 races. The events on Sunday 9/15 will be races #11 and 12.

It also seems likely that the berth for Solstice will be at one of the piers below the Bay Bridge, as the piers usually used by Celebrity are now reserved as headquarters for the AC events. Given the layout of the bay, that would mean no visibility from the ship.

Where would that be roughly (below the Bay Bridge)?

Missing Astoria is no big deal unless they have improved this port...but Nanaimo and Victoria are two outstanding stops!!!

Seems there is time to find something else for those who desire to switch...sorry!

Archived