Sunscreen , packing

jnc411

HI , this may sound dumb but I have not had this issue come up before because I don't use aresol hairspray , and now I want to pack some aresol sunscreen in my checked baggage, is the pressure in the cargo area a problem with the aresol sunscreen, I know I can't make it a carry one because of the ounces in it. But I don't want to mess up my clothes in my checked bags either. I usually take a cream sunscreen , but I need to take the aresol this time because I just had Melanoma surgery on my back earlier this year and I need to be able to be sure I have the back sprayed well with the sunscreen, that I can not reach well with the cream type. I prefer to take the brand I use here , but if I have to I can get something once we get to FLL also. I just don't know the answere to this dumb question . Anyway thanks

Cori

I packed areosol sunspray in the checked bags for our NCL Panama Canal Transit and had no problems. Put a small tube of regular in the carryon in case other was lost. I always double or even triple-bag anything that could leak in the suitcase. (Yes, I know, if a can should explode, plastic bags don't help) So far, nothing has caused any mishaps. If you have time and yours is a brand you could find easily in FL, that would work, too. Only thing we usually buy after getting to the port is cokes and wine, though. Hope the melanoma gives you no further problems. My dad had several removed over his lifetime and have friends who have had them and they're okay now, just careful. Enjoy the trip.

Always put anything that MIGHT leak into zip-loc bags....always! Double bag, if you want! (Bring an extra bag for the trip home, in case the 1st bag gets gooped up!)

The only thing I've ever had a problem with is shampoo and fingernail polish remover....they do tend to be affected by the pressures in the plane. Double bag...and you're good to go!

And...you can always ask a lounge chair neighbor to spray you....99% of people will NOT mind helping you!

I have never taken sunscreen in a spray, but I have taken hairspray in an aerosol can and not had any problem. If it has a plastic cap I run a strip of masking tape all around the cap where it joins the can and then seal it in ziploc freezer bag. A decent quality one, not a cheap flimsy one. I've never had a problem with any leakage. Good luck.

Thank you to everyone for you good information and input . I will put the sunscreen in ziplock plastic bags and triple bag it for good measure, and the tape around the lid sounds like a good ideas as well.

And thanks you for the well wishes re my melanoma issue. As for that , I am doing good and need to continue to see the specalist regularly to keep an eye on things. I am fortunate to get it early and hopefully not have a reaccurance.

Cori

Archived