Our "Suite" Liberty Cruise Review-November 10th, 2012

niksmom630

Let me start by saying I have read a ton of reviews on the forum—I have always managed to glean one interesting bit of information or a tip from almost every one. Sometimes I have just laughed out loud. Maybe one of you will pick up a tip or two. There are a few “firsts” I’ll be experiencing on this cruise, and they’ll be plenty of pictures as well (once I get past all the preliminaries) so here goes….

This will be our “first” cruise on a Freedom class ship, —and now, for background details--I celebrated my 50th birthday this year, traveling with my husband, and 13 year old daughter. As luck would have it (and being the great salesman that I am), I’ve convinced a bunch of friends to join us, so our party of three is now a group of 11. My review will likely be fairly limited to the ship itself and our experiences onboard. If you are looking for port or excursion details for this itinerary, this is probably not the review for you. Same thing for the shows—while I enjoy some evening entertainment , I’m just not a “show” person. Perhaps because I spend an inordinate amount of time planning in my everyday life and in my job, (including my vacations), my approach to vacation once I actually start one is much different. I literally plan nothing once on board—eating, drinking, staring at the ocean and relaxing with a good book for days is all I really need. And as a final bit of information, I am an RCCL fan. So, you also won’t read any comparisons in this review to other cruise lines (maybe other RCCL ships-who knows!) I am Diamond member who aspires to be Diamond Plus, what the heck, maybe even Pinnacle. (only another 45 points to go to the next level, but whose counting) With the exception of one Disney cruise, I haven’t sailed any other line besides RCCL. Why? Because I follow the old saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Until I hit every ship, and every itinerary, I’ll be loyal to Royal. Who knows, even then I may just start all over again…something to look forward to indeed….

How it all began…the devil is in the details…..

So, I am the “planner” of the family, which is really just a nicer way of saying “control freak”. Anyways, I booked this cruise on our February Jewel cruise. My first time ever booking on a cruise ship! (here’s where that control freak thing comes into play). The idea of just randomly booking a cruise and a date and a ship in a half hour session with a Loyalty Embassador has me twitching. Surely this is not enough time to make such a major, potentially life altering decision! Well, I am lured by the reduced deposit and promised on board credit, which I thought was $100. (turns out for 6 nights or less, it is more like $25). Oh well, I book an aft junior suite for the 3 of us (the last JS available on this sailing) and happily return to meet my hubby in the bar with the good news.

Fast forward 1 month later…nothing more depressing than returning from your cruise….it’s like you blinked, and it’s over. Unless, of course, you have another one planned! Woo hoo! Once day I WILL do a back to back, but in the meantime, I’ve decided that having another to look forward to (no matter how far out) sure helps with the post cruise “hangover”—literally and figuratively.

So, onto the details and the “devil” in them….. Honestly, I think I may have won the award for number of cabin changes on this cruise. This is where internet and CC can be a godsend, or a curse. Remember the good ole days when you always booked a vacation through a TA? They showed you a pretty brochure with glossy photos and deck plans, and you took their advise on the right floor, right cabin, walked off after paying your gi-normous cruise fare, and never thought about it again until the cruise documents and luggage tags arrived? (yes, back in the day when you got a spiral bound cruise document book and real luggage tags)……Well, with the wealth of information and real life experiences out there, all you need to do is search the boards or use google, and the answer to every question is at your fingertips. Too bad there are so many differing opinions…..

The Cabin Dilemma…

So, are we are a group of three, and my daughter is now 13, I selected a junior suite, simply for the space. We’ve done a deluxe and superior ocean views, and it’s a bit tight on space. Doable, but if you spend time in your cabin (which we do), I recommend a larger room. Not to mention that my daughter was a lot younger on the first few cruises.

Choice #1- The AFT balcony.

Ok, so I’ve read the rave reviews on AFT balconies, but for as many “fans” as there are, there’s an equall number complaining about metal beam view obstruction, (depending on the ship) soot all over the balconies, and the lengthy walk to certain areas on the ship. Not to mention folks looking over from the balcony above. I have always booked cabins mid ship—never had any issues with sea sickness or motion, but why risk it? Back to my earlier statement, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, So, after checking online, I find another junior suite mid ship (can’t even recall the number), and change my reservation

Choice #2-An OWNERS Suite

On a whim, I decide maybe it would be an amazing, “one time” experience to book an Owners Suite. After all, it is my 50th birthday. Why not splurge, just once? I never had a mid life crisis and bought a sports car or a motorcycle, so wouldn’t I be entitled to a special vacation? So, after much more research on which cabin to choose (looking for suites with the least amount of overhead noise), I decide to book cabin #1650, right above Chops.

Choice #3- An Owners Suite with Buyers Remorse

As the weeks go by, I am really rethinking this. Is an owners suite really necessary for almost $800 more than a grand suite, which will surely be plenty of room for the three of us, and still has all the same perks and suite benefits? 50th birthday or not, the guilt is getting to me, and I just can’t justify the expense. Many more searches “grand suite vs. owners suite”, and I am calling RCCL to make yet another change. Downgrading….sniff, sniff…. To cabin #1568—one of the few grand suites available….

Choice #4 – The “not so Grand” Suite

I could have saved myself some time and researched this cabin prior to changing it with RCCL, but I’m a glutton for punishment. Certain I’ll find nothing other than amazing reviews on my new cabin choice, I do a few quick searches—it “appears” to be under the cantilevered whirlpools. Are you kidding me????? So, you may not get much sun, not to mention noise from the machinery and potentially the inhabitants of the whirlpools late into the night. My dreams of having the balcony door ajar and listening to the sounds of the ocean in the evening are no more. Guess I am calling RCCL yet again. By now I am wondering if I have some sort of “flag” in my reservation. (Coco-loco, wackadoodle lady who can’t make up her mind, just humor her) Anyways, #1582 has opened up, a little closer to mid ship.

Choice #5- “The” Grand Suite

So #1582 it is! I check the deck plans yet again. Hmmm, under the pool bar? Well, there’s always ear plugs as other reviewers suggest. I usually sleep like a log anyways. Still excited for as this will be our first REAL suite! Concierge lounge, here I come!

Choice #6 – Where we finally ended up….Drum Roll Please…..

Final payment comes due, and we are 60 days out. I do check prices even after final payment in the event the prices drop low enough to get a free or reduced price upgrade. Yes, folks, no refunds or OBC are given after final payment is due, and I learned this the hard way on our last Jewel cruise when the prices dropped. But, as so many others have said, book it when the price is what you are comfortable paying, and then forget about it! If you want the chance at an upgrade for a lower price, or even no cost, check the prices every day! I actually also changed my preferences to allow for automatic upgrades. But let’s face it, there’s no rhyme or reason to a visit from the “upgrade fairy”, and I’m not feeling particularly confident that my number will be pulled out of the hat (particularly since my name is probably on some black list anyway—OOOH, NO, IT’S CABIN CHANGING LADY AGAIN). So I continue to check the prices daily in the hopes that my ultimate wish for an Owners Suite will be granted. There’s suddenly many available, but still can’t bring myself to pay the $800 difference. Until one day……IT HAPPENED! It appears the price of the owners suite is now less than a grand suite! How is this POSSIBLE? Certain my new prescription for bifocal contacts have failed me, I proceed through the reservation anyway, and the numbers are pretty compelling. Will It really only cost me $100 more total to go back into a Grand Suite? Which leads to the first picture in my review:

18263_10151124559726398_2072814472_n.jpg

And the official door sign:

248903_10151124563676398_1425074362_n.jpg

Yep, I GOT IT! The coveted mid hump OWNERS SUITE! The rep I spoke with was pretty short and rude (but again, I’m probably on a “list”). I promise her that I won’t be calling to change again, no matter what, but I’m not sure she’s convinced. I never did get my e-mail confirmation of the change, but low and behold, checked my online reservation and it was there!

Now, I am so excited I could do cartwheels (which at my age probably isn’t a good idea), so I dash off to inform my husband of this monumental news. “hmmm”, he says “that’ll be nice”……Not quite the reaction I was hoping for, but that’s ok, I’m excited enough for the both of us.

Coming up next, our pre cruise night hotel experience and finally boarding Liberty of the Seas!!!

We flew from Chicago to Miami the day prior to the cruise--I used miles for this trip and could not get a flight in Fort Lauderdale, so we decided to just spend the night in Miami and travel to Port Everglades in the morning. We've stayed at the Sofitel before ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it"), and have enjoyed it. Very comfy beds.....

575170_10151124593346398_1165834097_n.jpg

And a little chaise next to the window, with the very important k-Cup machine for that first cup of coffee in the morning.

559354_10151124593371398_564641698_n.jpg

The Sofitel is a lovely hotel. Here are a few photos of the inside--lobby and bar area. I thought drinks were a bit pricey here--like $6 for a domestic beer, and they automatically added 15% gratuity, which I didn't notice until a few rounds later--so needless to say, the bartender got some rather healthy tips from me...

530932_10151124593456398_1230586251_n.jpg

And the lobby area

423108_10151124593441398_1876186097_n.jpg

Way off in the corner is the "internet" access area...seemed a bit of an odd location to me, and not very private, but it was almost always occupied by someone....

The outdoor pool area at the Sofitel is a very nice area as well. Took some night shots, but they didn't turn out very well--must have inadvertently hit the "blur" botton on my camera. The daytime shots are much better...

579051_10151124584221398_1154573515_n.jpg

Nice waterfall into the pool, and nice padded loungers all around

378410_10151124584441398_1900061018_n.jpg

483072_10151124625356398_1719734678_n.jpg

And I know I'm getting closer to my cruise when I'm seeing palm trees and water

483134_10151124625421398_491702521_n.jpg

65325_10151124593396398_126980904_n.jpg

We met up for breakfast wioth several others in our group. The Sofitel offers a breakfast buffet which had a nice selection (abet, also a bit pricey), but they have a nice outdoor seating area so we got to enjoy our breakfast on the patio area

154352_10151124593476398_1370503833_n.jpg

Shortly after breakfast, we started our journey to the pier.

As a few others have mentioned in other reviews of this sailing, I also got notified via e-mail that boarding for this sailing would be delayed due to the inspections/additional customs clearances for the crew, etc, and not to arrive at the pier before 1 p.m. because of limited seating at the pier. Our pick up at the hotel in Miami was scheduled for 10:15, and I thought abour changing it, but we all decided to just go at the original time we had planned and prepared ourselves for a few hours of waiting time.

I used Larry's Private Car and Limo service for our trip from Miami to the port (recommended by other CC members). We had 7 people and 8 bags total, so we were assigned a 15 passenger van at a rate of $110 plus gratuity. Got a quote almost immediately following my e-mail request, and the driver called me 15 minutes prior to our scheduled departure to say he had arrived at the hotel. I would definately recommend them.

There were no lines when we arrived at 11 a.m.--I got pulled aside for a carry on bag "liquid" inspection. My two large bottles of Hazelnut Coffee Mate were thoroughly inspected and sniffed, and my water bottle got a good shake or two--but both items were returned to my bag without issue. We very quickly got up to a second floor waiting area for suite, pinnacle and diamond plus members, and settled in, expecting a bit of a wait, but as it turned out, we were able to board at 12:15!

Our first stop is always the pool bar to enjoy a "boarding" cocktail. I think the inspection put everything a bit behind, because the gates were still closed, and the bartenders were doing a bit of last minute prep work. SOMEONE in our party had to be the first in line.....:cool:

532119_10151124675556398_1206417012_n.jpg

We enjoyed a few beverages poolside, and finally met up with the rest of our group. They had some college games on the big screen.

148443_10151124675576398_811033894_n.jpg

The shot below taken from the pool deck in Port Everglades. Oasis was in port as well, and I got some great photos of her sailing away.

402480_10151124675926398_102422989_n.jpg

Coming up next--the cabin (WOW!)

Ahh, so you were lucky enough to be on the deck with the 24 hour security guards ;)

My mom was on Deck 10 on this cruise and was across from one of the "problem" cabins where someone was under cabin arrest for nearly the entire cruise.

Excited to read your review!

Thanks! 24 hour security guards???? Where was your mom located?????

I must have been in a fog or simply cabin euphoria--I never heard about any cabin arrest incidents, nor noticed any security guards!!!! Maybe they were of the "undercover" variety :cool:

Cabins were open at 1:30, I believe. Everything seemed to be just a bit behind due to the delayed boarding (including muster and sailaway)

We headed down to check out our home for the next five days. In short, the room was AMAZING, and the photos I was able to find online prior to sailing really do not do it justice!

The dining area--

65384_10151124675621398_773611615_n.jpg

Notice the coffee machine on the bar top? We actually never wound up using this, because we got into the habit of getting our morning coffee from the concierge lounge, which was literally just a couple strides away from our room. However, if you were to use it, you would have had to relocate it to the vanity area because there is no power outlet on this bar top. Our friends who had a junior suite had similar comments about the location of their coffee station. You literally had to relocate the pot to use it. Note to self--pack a power strip next time. Seems I've read that while some people have had success bringing them onboard, other's have had them confisgated. In any event, I soon discovered more square footage does not provide you with more outlets. The only two usable outlets were located in the vanity area.

The living area--

305590_10151124675661398_1822214271_n.jpg

Our daughter slept on the pull out couch. She thought it was comfortable. As I was looking through my photos after I downloaded them, I was immediately struck by something missing in this photo. No throw pillows??????? Maybe it's just a female thing, but this sofa really looked naked to me :D

The bed and vanity area--complete with the two working outlets....

14203_10151124675706398_1550174169_n.jpg

Another cabin shot....

534548_10151124675736398_431471181_n.jpg

And the bathroom shots up next--minus the "bidet" and toilet shot....not sure why I didn't take one, although I see it's viewable in the shot above!!!

Vanity area--it was nice having the double vanity, although without power outlets, we never had two of us using them at the same time--

21724_10151124675766398_569702097_n.jpg

The whirlpool tub--

259799_10151124675786398_1768024581_n.jpg

Word of warning--water pressure in this cabin was very powerful. A few tips below to prevent flooding your cabin....

#1-While we never actually "used" the bidet, we can confirm that when you turn on the faucet, it will go shooting all over the floor. Perhaps the trick is to be sitting on it to prevent over spray :eek:

#2-If using the whirlpool tub, you should either be sitting in it with your back against the rear jets, or adjust them prior to hitting the power button. Or be prepared for a huge spray of water across the room. I actually had to dry off the artwork on the back wall.

There was also a glass enclosed shower next to the tub, which we used most frequently. It was fairly small, but certainly a giant improvement over the spaceship tubes you get in the standard balcony rooms.

"THE" Balcony.....

305976_10151124675851398_1898156210_n.jpg

485047_10151124675826398_1832371763_n.jpg

1340 is on the center hump, flanked by two other Owners Suites on each side. We absolutely loved this balcony, and it was HUGE!!!! Our traveling companions were in 1334 right next door, so they did open up the balcony divider for us, which made it feel even larger. We did not hear any noise from above, and being in the center of the hump gives you great views forward and aft. If you have an opportunity to book this cabin on a Freedom class ship--DO IT! You won't be disappointed!

I had packed my binnoculars as well, but turns out we didn't need them thanks to the high powered one permanently affixed on our balcony. I guess this is a center hump Owners Suite perk. We did not notice them on any of the other Owners Suites....

More commentary on the cabin coming up.....

Vanity area--it was nice having the double vanity, although without power outlets, we never had two of us using them at the same time--

21724_10151124675766398_569702097_n.jpg

The whirlpool tub--

259799_10151124675786398_1768024581_n.jpg

Word of warning--water pressure in this cabin was very powerful. A few tips below to prevent flooding your cabin....

#1-While we never actually "used" the bidet, we can confirm that when you turn on the faucet, it will go shooting all over the floor. Perhaps the trick is to be sitting on it to prevent over spray :eek:

#2-If using the whirlpool tub, you should either be sitting in it with your back against the rear jets, or adjust them prior to hitting the power button. Or be prepared for a huge spray of water across the room. I actually had to dry off the artwork on the back wall.

There was also a glass enclosed shower next to the tub, which we used most frequently. It was fairly small, but certainly a giant improvement over the spaceship tubes you get in the standard balcony rooms.

"THE" Balcony.....

305976_10151124675851398_1898156210_n.jpg

485047_10151124675826398_1832371763_n.jpg

1340 is on the center hump, flanked by two other Owners Suites on each side. We absolutely loved this balcony, and it was HUGE!!!! Our traveling companions were in 1334 right next door, so they did open up the balcony divider for us, which made it feel even larger. We did not hear any noise from above, and being in the center of the hump gives you great views forward and aft. If you have an opportunity to book this cabin on a Freedom class ship--DO IT! You won't be disappointed!

I had packed my binnoculars as well, but turns out we didn't need them thanks to the high powered one permanently affixed on our balcony. I guess this is a center hump Owners Suite perk. We did not notice them on any of the other Owners Suites....

More commentary on the cabin coming up.....

AMAZING REVIEW!!!

We just got upgraded to OS 1340 on our cruise next month!! SO thrilled to hear little noise in suite, and the center hump looks to be the premiere OS onboard!

The high powered binnoculars look AMAZING! And it is only on the center hump OS? Wow!!!!!

Thanks so much!!

Question ==> is the TV a double sided TV, or does it pivet back from the living room to watch TV in the bedroom area?

Edited by DanTheCruisingMan

Here is the shot with the divider open. Gives you a feel for the added depth you will get in an owners suite on the center hump!

14196_10151124831816398_1094002077_n.jpg

Our cabin steward was Alan, and he was fabulous. He shared that he had just been moved to the suite area, and apologized up front if he missed anything. And he didn't--everything I asked for was promptly delivered with a smile. The only thing I noticed was that the dining room menus (which are available for room service in the suites) weren't updated on a daily basis. But when we asked for them, they were delivered in minutes!

He was previously responsible for cleaning 27 smaller cabins twice per day, and now he was assigned 14 suites. Now we're fairly tidy people, but passing through the hallways and getting a glimpse of some other cabins it's very apparent others are not as neat. I passed by one cabin that looked like it was straight out of an episode of "Hoarders". The carpeting was not even visible. I was really surprised at the number of cabins assigned to each steward. He was the only receipent of a WOW card from us on this cruise, and an extra cash tip. Best cabin steward I have had in many cruises with RCCL, and gave me a newfound appreciation for the work they do.

I really hadn't intended for this to be so long, but for those that want to hang in there, I have lots more photos, the concierge lounge review and experience, hosting a private party at sea, and finally a bridge and galley tour. Feel free to ask any questions along the way! It just may take me a few days to get the entire review posted from beginning to end!

AMAZING REVIEW!!!

We just got upgraded to OS 1340 on our cruise next month!! SO thrilled to hear little noise in suite, and the center hump looks to be the premiere OS onboard!

The high powered binnoculars look AMAZING! And it is only on the center hump OS? Wow!!!!!

Thanks so much!!

Question ==> is the TV a double sided TV, or does it pivet back from the living room to watch TV in the bedroom area?

Thanks! and yep, it was only on the center hump cabin. Our neighbors didn't have them. You will absolutely LOVE this cabin. The TV pivets. So you have the choice of viewing in the living area or the bedroom area. There's also a DVD player in the cabinet. And a final item I forgot to mention related to in room "audio" entertainment, we also had an iPod dock in the vanity area!

Thanks! and yep, it was only on the center hump cabin. Our neighbors didn't have them. You will absolutely LOVE this cabin. The TV pivets. So you have the choice of viewing in the living area or the bedroom area. There's also a DVD player in the cabinet. And a final item I forgot to mention related to in room "audio" entertainment, we also had an iPod dock in the vanity area!

Thanks! Would also like to hear info/pricing on private party in the suite - we may be interested in doing something like that during our cruise.

Really appreciate the review!

Edited by DanTheCruisingMan

Chris, you are doing a great job. Thanks for sharing, I am reliving the cruise thru you.

Was great to met you guys. Maybe our paths will cross again (probably in the casino!!)

Ditto from me,Chris....it's a good thing you didn't like the cabin nor the cruise......

I'm soaking in your review and look forward to hearing about the bridge and galley tour. Did you have to pay for the tour or did you get it as a "perk" for being in a OS?

Interesting story on this topic....will be covering it shortly in my concierge "review"....still facing a mountain of laundry, and we just returned last night. We flew from Fort Lauderdale to Houston to attend a wedding following this cruise.

In short, I e-mailed the concierge inquiring about these "back stage" tours, and was told that it was $150 per person for the "Behind the Scenes" tour, which was to last about 2 1/2 hours. I honestly could not justify $450 for the three of us to do this tour, and basically e-mailed the concierge and told her the same-I had read other suite guests had gotten this perk through simply inquiring. She said she would try and see what she could "arrange". We wound up getting an invitation from the Diamond Lounge concierge inviting us to do both the Bridge and Galley tour. At no charge. :D Both were scheduled on our last sea day, which made things a bit hectic, but definately worth it nonetheless!

Congrats on Your OS. Loving your review so far. It just so happens we booked this stateroom next spring when Liberty is in Europe. Thanks for providing so many photos of it. The binnoculars look wonderful! Did you use them?

Yes, we did! My daughter had to stand on a chair to use them in order or focus on anything close to the horizon. For those "vertically challenged", like myself, it was a bit difficult--but they were definately a great perk, and the view put my "carry on" binoculars to shame!

After checking out the cabin, we headed back up to the Sky Bar for a sailaway meet and greet with some cruise critic members we had met on the boards! It was great seeing everyone! Then it was off to the Concierge Lounge, to meet Oona and confirm the details for the cabin party we had planned.

Here's a quick shot of the lounge on debarkation day:

230080_10151124831896398_1272404011_n.jpg

We visited this lounge often in the morning for coffee--and occasionally in the evenings.

They serve continental breakfast in the morning, as well as appetizers and cocktails in the evening. We are Diamond members, but I only went to the Diamond Lounge once to attempt to print off my boarding passes. There were no internet terminals in the Concierge Lounge. (there are two in the Diamond Lounge) It is a much nicer venue than this lounge from a natural light perspective--windows and also outdoor seating on Deck 13, I believe. Because we were traveling with a large group (not all in suites or Diamond +), we really did not take advantage of the evening cocktail hour, as we wanted to socialize with our group. I did manage to carry out a beverage to two in the evenings, and bring it back to my cabin (although the "rules" say you must consume anything in the lounge). Kindof depended on how crowded it was.

I received an e-mail from the Concierge a week before our sailing:

Greetings from The Liberty of the Seas!

I look forward to welcoming you onboard the beautiful Liberty of the Seas. We are honored that you have selected Royal Caribbean International for your cruise vacation. My name is Oana and I will be your Concierge. As the Concierge, I will be available to assist you with any special requests you may have. As a Concierge Club guest, you will be offered amenities and services not available to other guests onboard the Liberty of the Seas.

For your convenience, here is a brief summary of the services we will be offering to you:

Use of the Concierge Lounge located on Deck 10, aft

Spa bathrobes for use onboard & upgraded bathroom amenities

Continental breakfast served in the lounge daily from 8:00 am to 10:00 am.

Hors d’oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary bar setup served in the lounge every evening before and after dinner from 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm.

Daily menus displayed and pre-ordering for your dinner wine.

Full Dining Room room service privilege (available when Dining Room is open)

Reservations for any of our specialty restaurants, sport activities, Explorations!, Salon and Spa appointments, etc.

Arrangements for private parties.

Exclusive suite guests area above the Sky Bar.

Personalized Port & Shopping advice.

Business services such as faxes, copies, etc.

Reserved VIP seats for production shows and ice shows (please show Cruise Director’s Staff gold SeaPass card at the entrance).

Cocktail party hosted by the Captain (invitations will be sent)

Reserved private seating during breakfast and lunch at Chops Grille dining area on Deck 11from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm (please see your service personnel for directions). For main Dining Room Deck 3, please refer to daily Cruise Compass for operating hours.

The Concierge Lounge is a private area accessible on a 24-hour basis with your SeaPass Card.

The Concierge Lounge is designated as a smoke-free area. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed footwear is required at all times). To ensure all our guests are able to enjoy this exclusive Lounge we require that all guests 20 years and younger must be well behaved and accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.

I look forward to meeting you and hope you have the vacation of a lifetime onboard the Liberty of the Seas.

Warmest regards,

Oana Popa

Concierge

Liberty of the Seas

EXT 3190