Room Steward Horror Stories

cardqb

Sorry OP. Some of the responses here are totally rude. I believe everything you have posted. We too have been victims of a room steward from hell. He banged on our door every morning between 7:30 and 8:00 to warn us if we weren't 'out of our room' by 9:00, he wouldn't be back. He kept his word. Our cabin was cleaned maybe once the entire seven day cruise. We ordered room service only once during the trip. The dirty dishes sat on our desk nearly two full days. DH was fed up and took the try and placed in front of a crew only door. We had rough seas one evening and at some point during the night, an empty glass fell from my bedside table and shattered on the floor. I awoke to step on the glass, but fortunately I wasn't cut. I picked up the large shards of glass and then called the number on the card for our room steward and his assistant. I called seven times and the phone was never answered. DH called guest services and they said they would send someone to clean up the glass. Never happened. That glass stayed on the carpet for the duration of the cruise. Our cabin was literally not cleaned for the entire cruise. Apparently, one evening the steward tried to tidy up the room a little while we were at dinner. The bed was made up half a$$ and our dirty glasses with coke were still sitting there. No toilet paper was left.

We did not reduce or remove tips. We thought about it. We also didn't make a formal complaint although we thought about it. After the first few days of this crappy service, we decided not to take action because we actually feared retaliation if we said anything.

we don't expect it...

AAH!! There is that word again!! --"EXPECT"

This is a word (a verb?) that comes up a lot in CC discussions -- or the noun "expectations" :D

I believe that this is what this particular discussion is really all about. I ALWAYS go onto a cruiseship with NO expectations - that way I will not be disappointed, but I may be pleasantly surprised (usually the latter:D) However, obviously others will not adopt this attitude, while still others would absolutely refuse to even countenance such an attitude WHY SHOULDI?? I HAVE PAID MY MONEY AND I DO HAVE EXPECTATIONS!! :D

But to each their own - to those who have had expectations that have been not met, I feel sorry for (but don't sympathisize with) you, and there ARE always two sides to every coin.

Barry

Yes it's true, in this country waiters are paid less than minimum wage, BUT, they are guaranteed minimum wage. so if they do not achieve minimum wage with tips, the employer must make up the difference. But none of theses ships are registered in the US. So not really sure where the fall in on that.

That sounds good but it doesn't happen most of the time. The employer takes into account the nights where you made well over min. wage. For all the cheapos that take a cruise there are still plenty of people who over tip and don't remove the tips. You will always get those that don't believe in tipping but I still believe that in the service industry you know when you start work that there will be good days and bad days. I am a waitress for a upscale restaurant and I have customers who are "regulars" and tip horribly. They get the same service from me as those who are the great tippers. If they didn't the restaurant would lose money from the loss of their business which means I would then lose my job. It all comes down to service with a smile.

That sounds good but it doesn't happen most of the time. The employer takes into account the nights where you made well over min. wage. For all the cheapos that take a cruise there are still plenty of people who over tip and don't remove the tips. You will always get those that don't believe in tipping but I still believe that in the service industry you know when you start work that there will be good days and bad days. I am a waitress for a upscale restaurant and I have customers who are "regulars" and tip horribly. They get the same service from me as those who are the great tippers. If they didn't the restaurant would lose money from the loss of their business which means I would then lose my job. It all comes down to service with a smile.

I'm not sure what you are saying doesn't happen most of the time ? In the US there are state and federal laws that guarantee an employee to make minimum wage for the week. If you're not getting that you're getting screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry OP. Some of the responses here are totally rude. I believe everything you have posted. We too have been victims of a room steward from hell. He banged on our door every morning between 7:30 and 8:00 to warn us if we weren't 'out of our room' by 9:00, he wouldn't be back. He kept his word. Our cabin was cleaned maybe once the entire seven day cruise. We ordered room service only once during the trip. The dirty dishes sat on our desk nearly two full days. DH was fed up and took the try and placed in front of a crew only door. We had rough seas one evening and at some point during the night, an empty glass fell from my bedside table and shattered on the floor. I awoke to step on the glass, but fortunately I wasn't cut. I picked up the large shards of glass and then called the number on the card for our room steward and his assistant. I called seven times and the phone was never answered. DH called guest services and they said they would send someone to clean up the glass. Never happened. That glass stayed on the carpet for the duration of the cruise. Our cabin was literally not cleaned for the entire cruise. Apparently, one evening the steward tried to tidy up the room a little while we were at dinner. The bed was made up half a$$ and our dirty glasses with coke were still sitting there. No toilet paper was left.

We did not reduce or remove tips. We thought about it. We also didn't make a formal complaint although we thought about it. After the first few days of this crappy service, we decided not to take action because we actually feared retaliation if we said anything.

If you were such a victim as you stated why not just go to the pursers desk or call a housekeeping supervisor the first time you experience this behavior.Your cabin wasnt cleaned the entire cruise lol :)

You also may want to proof read your posts ,was your cabin cleaned once or a few times or just once tidied up

Sorry to hear of your experience, that is definitely worse than ours by a long shot. Be thankful you didn't cut your foot on the glass!! Yikes. We completed understand you not making a formal complaint for fear of retaliation, since they have full access to your cabin. Also why we didn't push the steward on the various details or his attitude, just accepted it with a smile or possible look of questioning/shock on our faces.

Posts like yours, getting people's stories, is exactly what I was looking for when I originally posted. Not attacks from other CC members, which tends to become the norm here.

We've had less than stellar room stewards that were curt or less than friendly, but no horror stories.

The first time we traveled with our children, we had a *wonderful* room steward. When our son was sick with an ear infection and fever, he went out of his way to make us comfortable and ask if we needed anything. We couldn't leave the room and he cleaned up a few things for us without making us uncomfortable. It's the wonderful room stewards like this that make it more difficult for the other room stewards to live up to that standard.

You also may want to proof read your posts ,was your cabin cleaned once or a few times or just once tidied up

Perhaps you should go back and read my post again. I stated that our cabin was half way cleaned once...the entire cruise. It was never cleaned during the day AT ALL. In fact, I made the bed and straightened up the room as often as I could.

I'm not sure what you are saying doesn't happen most of the time ? In the US there are state and federal laws that guarantee an employee to make minimum wage for the week. If you're not getting that you're getting screwed.

In my experience, U.S. waitstaff is often young and doesn't know better. They need the job and/or don't know enough about the laws to fight back or report the employer. Not uncommon for restaurant management to "up" the declared tips on an employee to make it look like they made minumum wage and so the employer doesn't have to make up the difference. Also not uncommon to have hours suddenly removed from a timecard to keep from pay time and a half on that 2.13 an hour. Sad, but true. Illegal, but again, it's often 18-25 year old kids being taken advantage of.

In my experience, U.S. waitstaff is often young and doesn't know better. They need the job and/or don't know enough about the laws to fight back or report the employer. Not uncommon for restaurant management to "up" the declared tips on an employee to make it look like they made minumum wage and so the employer doesn't have to make up the difference. Also not uncommon to have hours suddenly removed from a timecard to keep from pay time and a half on that 2.13 an hour. Sad, but true. Illegal, but again, it's often 18-25 year old kids being taken advantage of.

Sorry if that's you're experience but it's not mine or anybody that I know. Do I think it can happen, or that it does. Absolutely, anything is possible. But do I think that is the overwhelming common practice, NO. Not even close. But anyway, I cruise in 2 days and could care less about the cheapo people :)

We just finished our 6th cruise -- and have always felt our room steward(s) knocked themselves out. Very pleased with level of service. I even ordered a room service lunch a couple of times and it actually arrived in about 25 minutes. No complaints here.

You obviously don't work where tips are involved. Yes, there are laws but there are ways around them and if the employee wants their job they go with the flow. If you don't someone else will. I have worked in the food service industry for over 20 years and it has happened to me and other people I know in 90% of the places we've worked. I accept it because the tips are good.

You obviously don't work where tips are involved. Yes, there are laws but there are ways around them and if the employee wants their job they go with the flow. If you don't someone else will. I have worked in the food service industry for over 20 years and it has happened to me and other people I know in 90% of the places we've worked. I accept it because the tips are good.

Ok, sorry for you're luck. Obviously you're exaggerating, 90% of the places ? Don't believe that for a second, if that is you're experience, then you are in the minority , that doesn't make it main stream. And you're comment about "if you don't do it, someone else will", can be used in about every line of work there is. But this isn't a tipping thread anyway.

I can tell you that when I pay for a cruise, I pay for a package. That package includes a room steward. No, I do not expect the room steward to be at my beck and call but I do fully expect them to do their job...just as I do with my job. I drive a school bus, how would you feel if I did a half-a** job picking up your child or grandchild for school! I do not feel like the op was being picky or wanting there very own cabin boy! I just think they wanted him to do his job! I have had WONDERFUL room stewards and I count my blessings for it, but there is always the chance that I may get someone who just is not into their job for some reason. And as having to deal with a rude steward or one that makes me feel uneasy, especially around my children...well I tell you it would be like poking a mad bear with a stick! I do not mind hurting feelings when people do not mind disrespecting me or my family. And sorry if that offends anyone but I don't care if you have a room on riviera deck or if you are staying in the highest priced cabin on the ship, everyone on the ship deserves and PAYS for the same service and should get it!

I can tell you that when I pay for a cruise, I pay for a package. That package includes a room steward. No, I do not expect the room steward to be at my beck and call but I do fully expect them to do their job...just as I do with my job. I drive a school bus, how would you feel if I did a half-a** job picking up your child or grandchild for school! I do not feel like the op was being picky or wanting there very own cabin boy! I just think they wanted him to do his job! I have had WONDERFUL room stewards and I count my blessings for it, but there is always the chance that I may get someone who just is not into their job for some reason. And as having to deal with a rude steward or one that makes me feel uneasy, especially around my children...well I tell you it would be like poking a mad bear with a stick! I do not mind hurting feelings when people do not mind disrespecting me or my family. And sorry if that offends anyone but I don't care if you have a room on riviera deck or if you are staying in the highest priced cabin on the ship, everyone on the ship deserves and PAYS for the same service and should get it!

Everybody expects a RS to do his job, some people expect more. And in my opinion some expect to much. But comparing a RS to a school bus driver is ridiculous. Why don't we just compare a RS to a dentist, or to law enforcement, or to a heart surgeon. You expect more out of some people than you do others. A RS who forgets to fill you 're personal ice bucket has less consequences than a reckless bus driver. And sorry if I offend you, but some school bus drivers are not qualified to pick up people's pets. There's good and bad in all professions.

Everybody expects a RS to do his job, some people expect more. And in my opinion some expect to much. But comparing a RS to a school bus driver is ridiculous. Why don't we just compare a RS to a dentist, or to law enforcement, or to a heart surgeon. You expect more out of some people than you do others. A RS who forgets to fill you 're personal ice bucket has less consequences than a reckless bus driver. And sorry if I offend you, but some school bus drivers are not qualified to pick up people's pets. There's good and bad in all professions.

I disagree. In this case the comparison is spot on.

I expect the room steward to do his job. I expect the bus driver to do his job.

The difference is in the details. What the job entails. What the consequences are if the person fails to do his job.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Absolutely!

And yes, everyone would like a RS to cater to all of their needs, and I am sure most of them DO try their best. I think people need to be a little realistic about.. dare I even bring it up... how much they are paying for the cruise to begin with! I am sorry, maybe things are a little different on this side of the Pacific, but when you are paying as little as $50 per night- often less according to Carnival website, you cannot realistically expect 5 star service. Heck, you would be lucky to find a 2 star hotel in the suburbs here for this price, and that is completely no frills- and don't even think about meals or entertainment. When its all broken down, Carnival are superb value for money, and you definitely get (more than) what you pay for. Next time your RS forgets to fill your ice-bucket, or doesn't fold the corner of your sheets the way you like, or god forbid forgets to fold the end of the toilet paper into a little triangle, think back to how much you have paid, and how much you ARE getting, and how much all of this would have cost on a land based holiday, and then think, is this really the WORST thing that could have happened?

Absolutely!

And yes, everyone would like a RS to cater to all of their needs, and I am sure most of them DO try their best. I think people need to be a little realistic about.. dare I even bring it up... how much they are paying for the cruise to begin with! I am sorry, maybe things are a little different on this side of the Pacific, but when you are paying as little as $50 per night- often less according to Carnival website, you cannot realistically expect 5 star service. Heck, you would be lucky to find a 2 star hotel in the suburbs here for this price, and that is completely no frills- and don't even think about meals or entertainment. When its all broken down, Carnival are superb value for money, and you definitely get (more than) what you pay for. Next time your RS forgets to fill your ice-bucket, or doesn't fold the corner of your sheets the way you like, or god forbid forgets to fold the end of the toilet paper into a little triangle, think back to how much you have paid, and how much you ARE getting, and how much all of this would have cost on a land based holiday, and then think, is this really the WORST thing that could have happened?

I don't know what you paid for your cruise but the cabin I booked was a lot more than $50 per night. I don't care about the folding of the toilet paper but I expect the RS to do their job and if they don't and I mention it nicely I don't expect a lot of attitude. There are things the original OP mentioned that I wouldn't even know was part of their job such as placing the luggage thingy on the bed the night before disembarkation and I wouldn't even mention something like that. I don't want someone to cater to all my needs. I just expect them to do their job just as I expect any service provider I contract with to do theirs.

I disagree. In this case the comparison is spot on.

I expect the room steward to do his job. I expect the bus driver to do his job.

The difference is in the details. What the job entails. What the consequences are if the person fails to do his job.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

No way, you disagree with me, lol. You always disagree, so grain of salt. If you want to compare a RS to a school bus driver that's you're prerogative. But I'm not going to. Yes I expect them to both do their job, but you name me one job where someone in that profession doesn't make a mistake. Who would rather make a mistake, RS or bus driver ? Some of you people expect more out of a RS than the bus driver

I expect the room steward to do his job.

Who gets to define what is the Cabin Stewards job?? Who gets to determine whether the Cabin Steward is properly doing his job. Mostly here we seem to be talking about what some people "expect"

Barry

Who gets to define what is the Cabin Stewards job?? Who gets to determine whether the Cabin Steward is properly doing his job. Mostly here we seem to be talking about what some people "expect"

Barry

A few weeks ago on the NCL board someone got hold of a Cabin Steward's job description. I wouldn't want it.

I don't know what you paid for your cruise but the cabin I booked was a lot more than $50 per night. I don't care about the folding of the toilet paper but I expect the RS to do their job and if they don't and I mention it nicely I don't expect a lot of attitude. There are things the original OP mentioned that I wouldn't even know was part of their job such as placing the luggage thingy on the bed the night before disembarkation and I wouldn't even mention something like that. I don't want someone to cater to all my needs. I just expect them to do their job just as I expect any service provider I contract with to do theirs.

I'm boarding the ship tommorow, $53 pp

Per day

Archived