Room Steward Horror Stories

cardqb

"lets cut up Carnival property, AND take away his tips, but we will let him be our room steward for the rest of the week and work for nothing"

That is what you wrote. And yes, they do get a salary as well.

Everything is based on perception, what may be acceptable to you, is not acceptable to me or vice versa. The service would have to be pretty bad for me not to leave a tip, or have it taken off.

To the OP, to his perception, the service level wasn't there. I am sure that I could find the bed protector and put it on the bed myself. But I am sure that lots of passengers just put their suitcases on their beds as they are packing, which could cause damage to the linens, so it would be in Carnivals best interest to have this put out.

Anyways, being that we all have different opinions, I agree to disagree :)

Lol, when I said " work for nothing " in that sentence, I'm talking about working for that cabin, with however ppl are on that room. He serviced that room all week for NOTHING.And yes everything is based on perception, or opinion. My perception is some ppl are cheap :). But yes we can agree to disagree.

Twice in different hotels, I had bad housekeeping service. Once, staying at a property on the Las Vegas Strip, my husband and I didn't leave the room until about noon. We were gone until about 6:00, and when we returned, our room had not been made up. I called housekeepking to enquire about no service, and I was told, "Well, you didn't call to request it." Huh? I worked in the hospitality field for years, and stayed in LOTS of hotels, and never once -- anywhere -- did I ever have to call housekeeping to request that my room be made up. And hotel housekeeping staff are there until 5:00, at least.

On another ocassion (different hotel), came back to a made up room, but no bath towels -- only hand towels. When I called housekeeping to request some bath towels, I was told they were out of them. I am a relatively small person, but even I can't dry my body and hair with a couple of hand towels. And if the housekeeper KNEW there were no bath towels, why take the ones I already had?

Bad service can happen anywhere.

If your steward is giving you "attitude" it's probably a reflection of the way you are treating him/her. Some people just have no idea how to interact with staff and think its OK to be demanding, rude, inconsiderate and cheap. It's embarrassing to see how clueless they are.

If your steward is giving you "attitude" it's probably a reflection of the way you are treating him/her. Some people just have no idea how to interact with staff and think its OK to be demanding, rude, inconsiderate and cheap. It's embarrassing to see how clueless they are.

It could also be a cultural difference. What appears to be an "attitude" could very well be how they interact in their culture. Throw in speaking a language that isn't their own, could easily cause a misinterrpretation. Not saying that it was in this case, but it could have been a factor.

As far as the wash cloth issue, the steward may very well have been telling the truth that he didn't have any extras. I recall reading on another board a while back (might have been Royal Caribbean) where people were asking if Royal no longer provided wash clothes. It turned out it was on one particular ship and they had a severe shortage of wash clothes. They had ordered more, but the order wasn't part of the deliveries when they were at the embarkation port.

Okay, now the wash cloth thing has me thinking - is it normal not to get one? I like a wash cloth, so now I am thinking perhaps I need to throw a couple in my bag - great, no wonder I overpack - I overthink :eek:

I have NEVER noticed the absent of sufficient wash clothes in my room...the fact is there are probably more than we need, supplied.

Although I am sure that it can happen....we have always had wonderful cabin stewards with positive attitudes... and have always tipped extra! Really Really! Daughter has to have lots of extra pillows due to bad back problems and I ask that the ice be kept up. Other than that, I think we are pretty agreeable to work with.

I don't have to see my steward daily but I always SEE the results (an usually I do see them daily, too!) I am always called by name, if I need something, it appears with a smile.

I am always thankful we have great stewards. I think a bad one is quite rare in my opinion.

Just got back from a Pride cruise and on the last night they made a swan towel animal and hung it up were I kept hitting my head on it. Think I should get 50 percent off my next cruise;)?

No, but by some people's standards you should have withheld every penny of his tips :(. And I know you are joking

I have NEVER noticed the absent of sufficient wash clothes in my room...the fact is there are probably more than we need' date=' supplied.[/quote']

Nah, just catch the steward carts out in the hall and nab all you want..Dennis

Yeah I'd say you are in the minority, thinking destruction of someone else's property is ok. How do you know he wasn't going to bring them later, he just didn't have them right then. Or how about you call guest relations.

He didn't bring them for us untill the forth night.

He said they had just released them to him.

I wash't happy distroying property but darn. We have always used each others towels but not face cloths.:eek: The Guest Relations knew us & our story by heart. It was just a bad seen. I'm sure it is because we were smoker's. DH &I not the graandkids. we are now non smokers & don't really blame him LOL:D:Dthe rooms are so much harder to clean.

Char

I wash't happy distroying property but darn. We have always used each others towels but not face cloths.:eek: The Guest Relations knew us & our story by heart. It was just a bad seen. I'm sure it is because we were smoker's. DH &I not the graandkids. we are now non smokers & don't really blame him LOL:D:Dthe rooms are so much harder to clean.

Char

You don't blame who,The cabin steward ? But yet you withheld his tips, that's an odd way to not blame him.

Char

what does smoking have to do with anything?

It could be a reflection of the way they were treated but I don't think you say in all honesty that is always the case. Some people (including room stewards) are never happy and no matter how well you treat them you aren't going to change that.

If you bring aboard a cooler' date=' you should be the one to fill it..not your steward. [/quote']

When I get on the ship, I meet my steward, introduce myself, get his name, ask about where he is from, his family .... just a conversation to get to know him or her.

I then give the steward my little cooler, a $20 bill, and ask that he fill this every day. Throughout the cruise, I will leave a $10 bill in the cooler with a note about how I appreciate the great service.

Never had anything but the best of service, not one complaint ever.

Horrors!:eek:

Your thoughts on my reference to my son as "The Royal Offspring"?

Hahaha I like that. Might have to use it myself. I've never heard that one but used to work with a woman whose husband's name was Nelson. Whenever she was ticked off at her kids she would call them Nelson's children.

I always take a loofa that I buy for 99¢. I guess I cannot relate to asking for more wash cloths, but I don’t understand destroying something to create your washcloths.

How are some people on here sure that the employees make a salary? Please don’t speculate, if you are sure, I would like to know how you are. I thought it was tips only, because our Carnival Rep told me that they are paid in tips only. I’m thinking now he lied to me.

If they get paid tips only: and they still cleaned the room on other days, made the beds, replaced towels, filled ice most of the time...wouldn’t that mean that they are owed at least 50 or 60% of the tips?

My Horror story is nothing bad. It was just a look I got. My kid got a nose bleed one night and I had to ask the RS to replace the pillow cases and sheets. I got a look of something close to "are you kidding me" I said I was sorry and I didn’t know what to do. He replaced them and I made our kid sleep with his personal beach towel over his pillow the rest of the cruise. I didn’t even consider removing tips. He just made a look, but I probably would have to if I had to clean up a nosebleed.

We really have the ninja RS. We meet them on day 1 and never see them again. Ice bucket may not get filled twice a day, but I live with that.

Archived