Room Steward Horror Stories

cardqb

When we cruised 3 years ago the cabin steward introduced himself the first day. And we never saw him again. But we saw the effects of his work every day and never had a complaint.

We took a Premier cruise on our honeymoon in 1987, and our cabin steward went above and beyond the call. . . Every night for turndown, he'd leave us extra chocolate mints. He'd lay out my satin bathrobe on the bed and arrange the mints in pretty patterns on the robe. It was very sweet of him to do that.

I've stayed at deluxe hotels, inexpensive motels and everything in between. Certain "basics" are expected in any of there establishments. I expect the staff to be courteous and respectful. I expect the room to be clean and comfortable. I expect that reasonable requests be fulfilled. I do not expect the staff to be my personal servants.

One thing I like about hotels . . .their "green" programs where they don't change your sheets or towels unless requested. They leave a card in tge bathroom telling you that if you hang up your towel they won't remove it, but a towel on the floor will be replaced by a ckean towel.

So, what is a "reasonable request"? In this context --

I expect clean towels and enough of them for every guest in the cabin. If I have an emergency in the middle of the night and need clean sheets, I expect someone to bring me sheets. I expect a sufficient supply of basic necessities such as toilet paper and tissues. If it's the cabin steward's job to supply ice, I expect him to bring extra ice if I ask for it.

I do expect my cabin to be cleaned every day. Although I'm not sure about getting the cabin cleaned if I sleep in -- in a hotel the housekeeping staff clean rooms all day long, but if the stewards operate on a different schedule . . .

If turndown service is offered, I expect the same service thst everyone else gets. Though if you want to give me any extras, like additional mints on my pillow, I won't say no.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, guess I'm a minority of one here. But, I do not believe expecting to get 1 washcloth for each guest in a cabin, an unreasonable request. Now if she had been asking for an additional one, for each of them, that could be a tad over the top. I still wouldn't consider that unreasonable, just unusual. Someone suggested using the handtowel as a washcloth, but not cutting them. All well and good, if there were 5 of them provided. Mostly all you get in handtowels, is 2. Bottom line, she asked for some washcloths, they weren't provided. She made "do" with what she had. Lemonade out of lemons, and all that. :D:

Ok, guess I'm a minority of one here. But, I do not believe expecting to get 1 washcloth for each guest in a cabin, an unreasonable request. Now if she had been asking for an additional one, for each of them, that could be a tad over the top. I still wouldn't consider that unreasonable, just unusual. Someone suggested using the handtowel as a washcloth, but not cutting them. All well and good, if there were 5 of them provided. Mostly all you get in handtowels, is 2. Bottom line, she asked for some washcloths, they weren't provided. She made "do" with what she had. Lemonade out of lemons, and all that. :D:

Yeah I'd say you are in the minority, thinking destruction of someone else's property is ok. How do you know he wasn't going to bring them later, he just didn't have them right then. Or how about you call guest relations.

It certainly might not be an unreasonable request, but again, i'm sure the room steward was not refusing to get them simply for the fun of it. Sometimes Sh*t happens and for whatever reason the wash-clothes were not available. Perhaps all of the other guests had taken the liberty of cutting them into smaller pieces leaving them in short supply on board.

What IS unreasonable is someone deciding that because they did not get what they wanted, that they will then go and chop into pieces a hand-towel or anything that does not belong to them. Perhaps I am the only one seeing the irony here. They complain that they were unable to get extra wash-cloths yet willingly destroy another perfectly good piece of toweling, thus rendering it unavailable to anyone else, ever. I do hope that the tip they removed from the poor room steward was promptly handed over to Carnival to reimburse them for the destruction of their property- though I highly doubt it.

Its all well and good to complain and moan about service that we see as inadequate however, while this may only be a hand-towel, it has certainly crossed a line that I doubt any reasonable person would cross.

I think sometimes it is a generational thing as well as "old country" - my FIL was Ukrainian and would always call our son by his name but our daughter was "the girl". It use to bother me that he would not call her by name but I knew he loved her and treated her exactly the same so I finally just let it go. I absolutely hate it when someone refers to "the wife" as the "old lady" - I will instantly call them an old goat and will continue to do so until they stop.

Before you condemn people for calling their wife “The Old Lady” you may want to consider that it is a title of respect that is not easy to acquire in some circles.

Being such my Old Lady is proud of what she has earned and being the extremely professional and friendly lady that she is would gladly sit on the lido deck and enjoy a beverage while explaining this and the history behind the term.

Now the term she could not stand would if I referred to her as the DW and I would probably get knocked on my butt for it….lol

I always find the room steward on the first day/evening of the cruise and give him 1/2 of a $100 bill and tell him to take care of me and he'll get the other 1/2 the last night on the ship. Amazing what service I always get. That is in addition to the normal gratuities. So far so good!

Ok this point struck me funny .. The luggage mat they called to have it put out ..i have never done that in seven cruises i always thought it was under the bed where i could grab it when i needed to pack when i wanted .. i also roll it up the first day after i unpack and put my suite case under the bed or in the closet

Sounds to me like you had "high maintenance" expectations.

The room steward has lots of other cabins to service.....he isn't at your beck and call.

I'm not seeing any "horror" here......just someone who paid $ for a vacation and expected to be treated as if he spent $$$$.

Gotta agree with you.

I had a nightmare room steward once, and I only wish he had been as good as yours.

I guess we have always been lucky when it came to room stewards. I think the only one I had that was not perfect was when he told us we could not smoke in our stateroom….before the ban…We didn’t think anything about it really until the next morning when we were speaking with some people on the Lido and found out their room steward brought an ashtray to them. If that is the worst I ever get I will never complain.

I on the other hand do not expect them to wait on me hand and foot because as others have said they are room stewards not butlers. I have in the past done the AI style vacation and had butler service that was phenomenal and if that is the kind of treatment you desire than maybe a person should book a vacation that includes the service or find out what kind of service is offered on the cruise lines with butler suites

Not a "horror" story, but felt a little apprehensive afterwards! We went to our cabin, found a bag with air fresheners and a case of bottled water, still wrapped in plastic. So not wanting to assume anything we called the desk, they sent an officer up to check it out. He talked for awhile, very nice, then decided the previous passengers must have left it. He asked if we wanted it removed and my daughter said no, if it's o.k, we'll keep it cause we both drink alot of water! Well, not 10 min. after he left a little female rushed thru the door without even knocking and snatched up the stuff, yelling .....dis fo me...dis fo me!!! And looking at me like I stole her children!!! I told her fine, if she wanted it and that was all we saw of her! Our cabin was kept fine, towels, ice, and so forth. But never a word or a sign of her the whole time! Just a little wierd!!! Other than her, everyone we've ever had has spoken to us in the halls and said our names and smiled! Maybe she was new?? Don't know! And NO we did not take our tips back.

well now..at least this answers the question of wether or not a pax should bring little trinkets for the steward for Christmas gifts?

They want bottled water and air fresheners!!!

actually..this doesn't surprise me at all.

That isn't lemonade, that's destroying something that doesn't belong to you. Sure, extra washcloths are a perfectly reasonable request. If you can't get them, go up the chain of command. It might be a pain, but get a manager, call guest services, keep calling.... but it's absolutely unacceptable to destroy ship property just becuase you didn't get something you wanted. Kind of reminds me of a small child throwing a tantrum.

Can't get your way or what you want right now? I'll just "show" you by destroying something. :mad:

That isn't lemonade, that's destroying something that doesn't belong to you. Sure, extra washcloths are a perfectly reasonable request. If you can't get them, go up the chain of command. It might be a pain, but get a manager, call guest services, keep calling.... but it's absolutely unacceptable to destroy ship property just becuase you didn't get something you wanted. Kind of reminds me of a small child throwing a tantrum.

Can't get your way or what you want right now? I'll just "show" you by destroying something. :mad:

Exactly!

Can't believe they couldn't use a hand towel instead. They destroyed Carnival property. Unbelievable.

OP - I think there were a lot of things you could have done for yourself.

Let's look at the bigger picture when it comes to tipping and service.

I'm sure it's safe to say that we all have tipped for services in our lifetime. What seems to be the issue is that on a cruise we are PRE-paying for services that we normally pay for AFTER services rendered, and when pre-paid service doesn't live up to expectations, we feel slighted. Needless to say, we are going to scrutinize our service if we are paying for it in advance because we are expecting our money's worth. It's a psychological issue here, and in IMHO, valid. The requests made by OP and others are not unworthy, nor asking for too much. When on vacation, people expect to be pampered to an extent and that's why we take vacations.... to escape the norm... to have someone else cater to us for a change... to PAY for someone to wash our towels and make our bed and so forth.

Now, before you all burn me at the stake, remember that no one is forcing these stewards/waiters to take this job. They chose this employment and they should be somewhat courteous and helpful with reasonable requests. To provide TP, fresh towels, and ice in bucket is not asking for the moon. That is their job.

What many American's forget (yes, I'm an American too), is that most countries that many of our cruise staff come from don't live American lifestyles or pay American prices.

Too many times I've read "oh, they can't afford this... the workers are sending XXX money home to family... poor them!" Well, the money they are getting is a hell of a lot better working on a cruise ship than the normal jobs that they could be working if still "back home". Life could be a lot worse for these people and many of them are playing the "woes me" card to sympathetic Americans because they know they can toy with your guilt. Sorry to sound like a cynic, but I've traveled to too many countries and know too many foreigners to fall for that song and dance.

Understandably, some requests by fellow cruisers are a bit haughty. However, asking for washcloths or ice is not asking for too much. And being threatened by a steward... don't even get me started on that! Yes, these are things one can get themselves or live without, but again, you are paying for these services.... why not get it?

One more comment and I will shut up... I worked for tips. TIPS stand for To Insure Prompt Service. And since DH and myself worked for tips for many years, we tip heavily (25-40%) to those who deserve it. If I feel that my cabin steward or dinner waiters went beyond the call of duty, then yes, they will be rewarded handsomely. If not, then you can bet the farm that I will remove any pre-paid tips that was expected. I work to earn... why shouldn't they?

I'm sure it's safe to say that we all have tipped for services in our lifetime. What seems to be the issue is that on a cruise we are PRE-paying for services that we normally pay for AFTER services rendered, and when pre-paid service doesn't live up to expectations, we feel slighted. Needless to say, we are going to scrutinize our service if we are paying for it in advance because we are expecting our money's worth. It's a psychological issue here, and in IMHO, valid. The requests made by OP and others are not unworthy, nor asking for too much. When on vacation, people expect to be pampered to an extent and that's why we take vacations.... to escape the norm... to have someone else cater to us for a change... to PAY for someone to wash our towels and make our bed and so forth.

Now, before you all burn me at the stake, remember that no one is forcing these stewards/waiters to take this job. They chose this employment and they should be somewhat courteous and helpful with reasonable requests. To provide TP, fresh towels, and ice in bucket is not asking for the moon. That is their job.

What many American's forget (yes, I'm an American too), is that most countries that many of our cruise staff come from don't live American lifestyles or pay American prices.

Too many times I've read "oh, they can't afford this... the workers are sending XXX money home to family... poor them!" Well, the money they are getting is a hell of a lot better working on a cruise ship than the normal jobs that they could be working if still "back home". Life could be a lot worse for these people and many of them are playing the "woes me" card to sympathetic Americans because they know they can toy with your guilt. Sorry to sound like a cynic, but I've traveled to too many countries and know too many foreigners to fall for that song and dance.

Understandably, some requests by fellow cruisers are a bit haughty. However, asking for washcloths or ice is not asking for too much. And being threatened by a steward... don't even get me started on that! Yes, these are things one can get themselves or live without, but again, you are paying for these services.... why not get it?

One more comment and I will shut up... I worked for tips. TIPS stand for To Insure Prompt Service. And since DH and myself worked for tips for many years, we tip heavily (25-40%) to those who deserve it. If I feel that my cabin steward or dinner waiters went beyond the call of duty, then yes, they will be rewarded handsomely. If not, then you can bet the farm that I will remove any pre-paid tips that was expected. I work to earn... why shouldn't they?

When someone talks about removing tips for stupid little petty things, they sound like a cheapskate to me. Especially someone like you who says they work or worked for tips. I Would not completely withhold tips, I would adjust my tips in accordance with the service I received, but not down to $0, that's pathetic. I haven't read anything on this thread that would warrant 100% removal if tips, not even 1% If you worked as a waitress I'm sure you were stiffed a time or two, how mad did that make you ? Now imagine if you served them ppl for a whole week. Heaven forbid those ppl didn't get their wash cloth right away, lets cut up Carnival property, AND take away his tips, but we will let him be our room steward for the rest of the week and work for nothing. If you truly think a RS is so bad you should remove their tips, go to guest services and request a different one. And pre-paid tips does not mean you will get bad service, for one, obviously we know tips can be removed, and two, they know the better service they give, the more they might get above pre-paid tips. And yes they chose to work on these ships, but even with the occasional cheapskate, they still make better money than they can at home. IMHO

When someone talks about removing tips for stupid little petty things, they sound like a cheapskate to me. Especially someone like you who says they work or worked for tips. I Would not completely withhold tips, I would adjust my tips in accordance with the service I received, but not down to $0, that's pathetic. I haven't read anything on this thread that would warrant 100% removal if tips, not even 1% If you worked as a waitress I'm sure you were stiffed a time or two, how mad did that make you ? Now imagine if you served them ppl for a whole week. Heaven forbid those ppl didn't get their wash cloth right away, lets cut up Carnival property, AND take away his tips, but we will let him be our room steward for the rest of the week and work for nothing. If you truly think a RS is so bad you should remove their tips, go to guest services and request a different one. And pre-paid tips does not mean you will get bad service, for one, obviously we know tips can be removed, and two, they know the better service they give, the more they might get above pre-paid tips. And yes they chose to work on these ships, but even with the occasional cheapskate, they still make better money than they can at home. IMHO

So is what you are saying, is that one should tip regardless? You seem to take this conversation extremely personal. Personally, I don't need to see my room steward, but what I expect is that my room will be cleaned, beds made, fresh towels put in the bathroom. If I request something, I don't expect to be met with attitude.

Why do you say that the stewards would work for nothing if you take away their tips? I do believe that they make a salary. And no, I don't believe in not tipping just because my bed cover is not straight.

I don't believe that it is right that one would cut up a towel, but then again, I don't believe that you should have to keep requesting for a washcloth, this is not reasonable either.

It is a service industry, so it is to be expected that one will receive a service that you are paying for.

So is what you are saying, is that one should tip regardless? You seem to take this conversation extremely personal. Personally, I don't need to see my room steward, but what I expect is that my room will be cleaned, beds made, fresh towels put in the bathroom. If I request something, I don't expect to be met with attitude.

Why do you say that the stewards would work for nothing if you take away their tips? I do believe that they make a salary. And no, I don't believe in not tipping just because my bed cover is not straight.

I don't believe that it is right that one would cut up a towel, but then again, I don't believe that you should have to keep requesting for a washcloth, this is not reasonable either.

It is a service industry, so it is to be expected that one will receive a service that you are paying for.

I'm not talking it personal, I'm posting my opinion, are you taking it personal ? If you read what I said, I said ADJUST the tips accordingly. I did not say they should get their tips regardless. I don't know if they get a salary or not, my understanding is they don't, but even if they do, I'm sure it's minimal, and subsidized by tips just like a waitress at a restaurant, and where did I say they would work for nothing ? Do you really see something from these " horror " stories that would warrant completely not tipping ? Or maybe just an adjustment ?

I am pretty positive that most people who have an issue have a valid complaint, at the time. The issue, for me, arises when the problem is resolved and people still go on and on and on. Have something in your cabin you are allergic to and the steward hasn't removed it...then put it out in the hall or at the door of his supply closet don't just suffer the affects to drive home the point that you weren't serviced correctly. If you bring on items like water or pop that is also supplied by the ship it should be your responsibility to find a home for such items. If you bring aboard a cooler, you should be the one to fill it..not your steward. Now, if he misses filling your ice bucket then you should remind him of that...but the big cooler is a negotiable request in my opinion. If someone soils linens in the middle of the night don't expect someone to instantly answer your distress call. The event is an abnormality and may take a bit of time to resolve. If your room hasn't been outfitted with all of the towelling...request and wait as patiently as you can...if no response then call services, don't fly off the handle and destroy ship's property.

Now you better believe if anyone, staff or other passenger, threatens me in any way I'd be the first to complain...and I would do it quickly and to the right people even if it meant being late for an excursion or for dinner. Complaining a day later can be construed as it not being that important by outsiders looking in.

Again, I'll say that I have been very, very fortunate that in 50 odd years of travel I haven't had much to complain about...even though some experiences haven't been nearly as good as others. I think the reason I haven't complained about a lot is those are the things I just forget about quickly...its the good stuff that I CHOOSE to remember.

I was agreeing with you until you got to the part that I bolded. That's an urban myth. And if "TIPS" was indeed an acronym, it would be "TEPS" - to ensure prompt service.

We've been on 9 cruises and have not ever had problems with our room steward. Some are friendlier than others, but none have ever been rude. We just returned from a three day cruise on Inspiration and on Sunday, our DD slept in because she had been to a Camp Carnival party the night before until 3am. Our room steward had told us on Friday that he is off from Noon until 5pm, so we didn't expect him to come in and clean the room that day. In fact, my husband and I went to breakfast and put the "Snoozin" sign on the door and told the room steward that our DD was still asleep. He said that if she woke up before noon, he would do the room. She was awake before then but we didn't leave the room until 1pm. When we came back from dinner, the room had been cleaned. In all of the cruises, we've never had the luggage pad put out for us on the last night. It remains rolled up in the closet if we want to do it ourselves.

I think that different people have different expectations of what employees should do for them. My expectations have always been met, and if they weren't, I would make sure to let someone know prior to the end of the cruise so they could take steps to correct the behavior.

whenever we ran out of ice I just went to the lido bar with my beer bucket and they filled it with a smile everytime

I also went to the service area on our floor and opened the door and there was an ice machine right there - I filled it up no problem - ran into a steward while doing this and he thanked me for getting my own. Only filled my beer bucket as I had Fosters and needed lots of ice and not the ice bucket which I left for our steward to do.

I'm not talking it personal, I'm posting my opinion, are you taking it personal ? If you read what I said, I said ADJUST the tips accordingly. I did not say they should get their tips regardless. I don't know if they get a salary or not, my understanding is they don't, but even if they do, I'm sure it's minimal, and subsidized by tips just like a waitress at a restaurant, and where did I say they would work for nothing ? Do you really see something from these " horror " stories that would warrant completely not tipping ? Or maybe just an adjustment ?

"lets cut up Carnival property, AND take away his tips, but we will let him be our room steward for the rest of the week and work for nothing"

That is what you wrote. And yes, they do get a salary as well.

Everything is based on perception, what may be acceptable to you, is not acceptable to me or vice versa. The service would have to be pretty bad for me not to leave a tip, or have it taken off.

To the OP, to his perception, the service level wasn't there. I am sure that I could find the bed protector and put it on the bed myself. But I am sure that lots of passengers just put their suitcases on their beds as they are packing, which could cause damage to the linens, so it would be in Carnivals best interest to have this put out.

Anyways, being that we all have different opinions, I agree to disagree :)

Archived