Room Steward Horror Stories

cardqb

I always take a loofa that I buy for 99¢. I guess I cannot relate to asking for more wash cloths, but I don’t understand destroying something to create your washcloths.

How are some people on here sure that the employees make a salary? Please don’t speculate, if you are sure, I would like to know how you are. I thought it was tips only, because our Carnival Rep told me that they are paid in tips only. I’m thinking now he lied to me.

If they get paid tips only: and they still cleaned the room on other days, made the beds, replaced towels, filled ice most of the time...wouldn’t that mean that they are owed at least 50 or 60% of the tips?

My Horror story is nothing bad. It was just a look I got. My kid got a nose bleed one night and I had to ask the RS to replace the pillow cases and sheets. I got a look of something close to "are you kidding me" I said I was sorry and I didn’t know what to do. He replaced them and I made our kid sleep with his personal beach towel over his pillow the rest of the cruise. I didn’t even consider removing tips. He just made a look, but I probably would have to if I had to clean up a nosebleed.

We really have the ninja RS. We meet them on day 1 and never see them again. Ice bucket may not get filled twice a day, but I live with that.

They don't know for sure about the RS getting a salary, they are just speculating, or I'd like to know as well how they would know. I was told the same thing as you, they work for tips only.

This thread is mentioned in the CC newsletter

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/?p=6367

Yup, and that's how I've found my way over here!

Maybe it's because I'm British but I'm sitting here thinking, "What's this fuss over an ice bucket?" If mine never got filled it wouldn't bother me. Ice buckets just don't feature much over here. And wash cloths? (Or 'flannels' as we usually call them) - we bring our own. I don't understand why you wouldn't. (I mean British people would normally take their own flannels on holiday with them; not just our family)

But cruising IS expensive, in the UK anyhow, and we are being sold the idea of being 'pampered' (which was the word used in that link to the Carnival website), so I can understand people's expectations might be higher than on a land-based holiday.

We're going on our second cruise next year (and soooo looking forward to it) and we will have a butler :D (it worked out cheaper than getting 2 balcony rooms) - so does this mean I can expect to be waited on hand and foot? ;)

(To be honest, I don't know what to do with a butler)

They don't know for sure about the RS getting a salary, they are just speculating, or I'd like to know as well how they would know. I was told the same thing as you, they work for tips only.

I would suggest reading this book- been updated to include Corsica d'cordia

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1479383716/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353530979&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Yup, and that's how I've found my way over here!

Maybe it's because I'm British but I'm sitting here thinking, "What's this fuss over an ice bucket?" If mine never got filled it wouldn't bother me. Ice buckets just don't feature much over here. And wash cloths? (Or 'flannels' as we usually call them) - we bring our own. I don't understand why you wouldn't. (I mean British people would normally take their own flannels on holiday with them; not just our family)

But cruising IS expensive, in the UK anyhow, and we are being sold the idea of being 'pampered' (which was the word used in that link to the Carnival website), so I can understand people's expectations might be higher than on a land-based holiday.

We're going on our second cruise next year (and soooo looking forward to it) and we will have a butler :D (it worked out cheaper than getting 2 balcony rooms) - so does this mean I can expect to be waited on hand and foot? ;)

(To be honest, I don't know what to do with a butler)

Nope, it's not because you're British, most of us Americans don't get to worked up over ice buckets and flannels either :)

I always find the room steward on the first day/evening of the cruise and give him 1/2 of a $100 bill and tell him to take care of me and he'll get the other 1/2 the last night on the ship. Amazing what service I always get. That is in addition to the normal gratuities. So far so good!

Just curious about this novel approach: if you ever felt the extra tip wasn't warranted would you withhold it from the steward and/or ask for the other 1/2 back? Seems to me you're out $100.00 either way.

I've always figured it's like waitstaff here in the U.S. The salary is quite minimal and not enough to live on. In most states, waiters make 2.12 an hour. Yes, you read that right. Then taxes, social security, medicare, etc. come out. My bi-weekly paychecks when I was a waitress were usually less than $20 for 80 hours of work. Tips were what paid my bills.

I don't know what those onboard in tipped positions make nor is it my personal business. But I would assume the salary is quite minimal - just enough for Carnival to say they get one.

I've always figured it's like waitstaff here in the U.S. The salary is quite minimal and not enough to live on. In most states, waiters make 2.12 an hour. Yes, you read that right. Then taxes, social security, medicare, etc. come out. My bi-weekly paychecks when I was a waitress were usually less than $20 for 80 hours of work. Tips were what paid my bills.

I don't know what those onboard in tipped positions make nor is it my personal business. But I would assume the salary is quite minimal - just enough for Carnival to say they get one.

I agree, and that's what I posted a few posts earlier, that even if they do get a salary, it will be very minimal. I know you're right on a waitresses salary as well, my daughter did that for a couple years as well. And I agree it's non of our buissness

When someone talks about removing tips for stupid little petty things, they sound like a cheapskate to me. Especially someone like you who says they work or worked for tips. I Would not completely withhold tips, I would adjust my tips in accordance with the service I received, but not down to $0, that's pathetic. I haven't read anything on this thread that would warrant 100% removal if tips, not even 1% If you worked as a waitress I'm sure you were stiffed a time or two, how mad did that make you ? Now imagine if you served them ppl for a whole week. Heaven forbid those ppl didn't get their wash cloth right away, lets cut up Carnival property, AND take away his tips, but we will let him be our room steward for the rest of the week and work for nothing. If you truly think a RS is so bad you should remove their tips, go to guest services and request a different one. And pre-paid tips does not mean you will get bad service, for one, obviously we know tips can be removed, and two, they know the better service they give, the more they might get above pre-paid tips. And yes they chose to work on these ships, but even with the occasional cheapskate, they still make better money than they can at home. IMHO

I agree with everything you said, except the blocking a person from leaving the room. That is where the line was crossed.

The crappiest room steward I ever had is at home, I have to change the sheets myself, wash them, put them back on, no towel animals or chocolates....just terrible!

I agree with everything you said, except the blocking a person from leaving the room. That is where the line was crossed.

The crappiest room steward I ever had is at home, I have to change the sheets myself, wash them, put them back on, no towel animals or chocolates....just terrible!

Funny thing our room steward must be related to yours because we never see him and we also have to change the sheets ourselves etc. Here I thought we were alone with this problem only to find others. :p

I agree, IF that really happened I would have an issue with someone blocking me from leaving my room. And after me and the RS had it out, that's when I go to guest services and get a new RS. But I think some of these posts IMO, are a little fluffed up.

why would you not go to guest services and complain - I would have taken the sheets down (if they were soiled prior to me using them or I had an accident) to them - put them on the counter, tell them I want them washed and replaced if it is that bad.:eek: I personally do not expect my sheets to be changed while I am on a 7 day cruise - I do not change them that often at home. But that is just me. Block a person IS crossing the line though

why would you not go to guest services and complain - I would have taken the sheets down (if they were soiled prior to me using them or I had an accident) to them - put them on the counter, tell them I want them washed and replaced if it is that bad.:eek: I personally do not expect my sheets to be changed while I am on a 7 day cruise - I do not change them that often at home. But that is just me. Block a person IS crossing the line though

Blocking the door is crossing the line, but this had nothing to do with sheets. In this case the poster knocked a glass over and broke it, then claims the RS blocked the door and told them to clean it up. But yes if that happened I'd go to guest services.

Blocking the door is crossing the line, but this had nothing to do with sheets. In this case the poster knocked a glass over and broke it, then claims the RS blocked the door and told them to clean it up. But yes if that happened I'd go to guest services.

Sorry - I did not read AT HOME in the second part of your post - but I would still take it to guest services if I could find one there and I would be fired in a blink (ha ha). Hey, this is sounding better

Sorry - I did not read AT HOME in the second part of your post - but I would still take it to guest services if I could find one there and I would be fired in a blink (ha ha). Hey, this is sounding better

I think you're talking about twindaddys post, lol. But I know what you mean and agree with you

What's with the overuse of superlatives like "horror"? I have a very different definition of what i think a horrific experience would be. Guess its a ploy to make sure everyone reads complaints.

It's kinda like some of the posts in here, it's a fluff word to make it sound better :) kinda like when someone says they asked for a wash cloth for example, the RS probably said " I'm sorry but I don't have any extra " BUT, the poster says, " I asked for a wash cloth, he said NO. Which one makes the RS sound more evil ?

Maybe I just had unrealisitc higher expectations from our last steward? Met him briefly day 1, saw hime one other time from afar. Mumbled his name in a rush day one and left. Then again, in 3 cruises I never had a steward smile, shake hand and greet any of my family by name. I am always amazed when I read people saying their steward or waiter called them by name???

We have been on 12 cruises - and never have I NOT been called by my name. Usually they call me "Mr Barry"

Barry ( my Christian name :D)

Just curious about this novel approach: if you ever felt the extra tip wasn't warranted would you withhold it from the steward and/or ask for the other 1/2 back? Seems to me you're out $100.00 either way.

LOL..any pax who actually would do this to a steward deserves lousy service and deserves to be out the $100.

That person's approach is one of the most insulting condescending actions any pax can do to a steward.

I have to think that the poster who said he does that has to be joking and just playing with the CC community with that post.

LOL..any pax who actually would do this to a steward deserves lousy service and deserves to be out the $100.

That person's approach is one of the most insulting condescending actions any pax can do to a steward.

I have to think that the poster who said he does that has to be joking and just playing with the CC community with that post.

I completely agree - if he seriously does this I hope he gets lousy service and when he asks for the other half back the steward tears it up in front of him and tells him to shove it (of course, the steward keeps the serial number so it cannot be put back together) The poster deserves to be more than $100 out - he deserves to be banned for being so condescending and demeaning to another human being. Whew, do you think I am a little p o ed.

LOL, this thread is like the Telephone Game. Amusing how my story has been analyzed, twisted, and convoluted over the last 174 posts...:rolleyes:

I agree, IF that really happened I would have an issue with someone blocking me from leaving my room. And after me and the RS had it out, that's when I go to guest services and get a new RS. But I think some of these posts IMO, are a little fluffed up.

Believe me, the story doesn't need any "fluffing". The way I told it is the way it happened, nothing more, nothing less. I could've really "fluffed it up" for dramatic effect, but there was no need to.

As mentioned previously, thankfully in my 30+ years of cruising I've never experienced anything like that ONE experience, that's why it sticks in my mind. Besides that one time, my opinion of cabin stewards is the same as so many others here. They do an exceptional job and are a big part of why I enjoy cruising so much.

In this case the poster knocked a glass over and broke it, then claims the RS blocked the door and told them to clean it up. But yes if that happened I'd go to guest services.

As previously mentioned, I did. In fact, I ended up having a sit down meeting in the Hotel Director's office. I did not remove tips (back then there were NO auto-tips, just the good ol' envelopes that you stuffed with cash). The offending cabin steward was indeed removed from serving our cabin and a new one replaced him. Needless to say, the tip envelope went to the NEW cabin steward.

LOL, this thread is like the Telephone Game. I love how my story is getting analyzed, twisted, and convoluted...:rolleyes:

Believe me, the story doesn't need any "fluffing". The way I told it is the way it happened, nothing more, nothing less. I could've really "fluffed it up" for dramatic effect, but there was no need to.

As mentioned previously, thankfully in my 30+ years of cruising I've never experienced anything like that ONE experience, that's why it sticks in my mind. Besides that one time, my opinion of cabin stewards is the same as so many others here. They do an exceptional job and are a big part of why I enjoy cruising so much.

What part was twisted and convoluted ? And I believe I said, IF that did happen, it would have been crossing the line, and I would have went to guest services. I said I think SOME posters fluff their story, I didn't mention you. Are you trying to twist and convolute my post ? Lol

Archived