Room Steward Horror Stories

cardqb

One more comment and I will shut up... I worked for tips. TIPS stand for To Insure Prompt Service.

Don't you mean TEPS???? "To Ensure Prompt Service"? That acronym has been widely debunked and should no longer be used. SMH :confused:

I have to shout that I've NEVER had a bad experience with a room steward on Carnival. They've always been exceptional and over the top.

I'll have to wait for someone to start a Waiter Horror Story thread.

Oh goodness, if there is one of these threads I have a story to add!

What part was twisted and convoluted ? And I believe I said, IF that did happen, it would have been crossing the line, and I would have went to guest services. I said I think SOME posters fluff their story, I didn't mention you. Are you trying to twist and convolute my post ? Lol

Yeah, I had to twist, convolute, and fluff up your comment about my twisted, convoluted, and fluffed up comment to make it even more dramatic...;)

It sounded like you were talking about my story since you mentioned "IF my story did happen" in one sentence, and then you mentioned in the next sentence how "some of these posts are a little fluffed up". You will agree that it's not hard to add those 2 together. No biggie. Moving along....:)

Yeah, I had to twist, convolute, and fluff up your comment about my twisted, convoluted, and fluffed up comment to make it even more dramatic...;)

It sounded like you were talking about my story since you mentioned "IF my story did happen" in one sentence, and then you mentioned in the next sentence how "some of these posts are a little fluffed up". You will agree that it's not hard to add those 2 together. No biggie. Moving along....:)

Yes if you add those two sentences together it could sound that way, my appleigees :)

i've had really good, decent, and not there stewards.

Our last cruise we had a similar situation where our steward never made up our room....until time for bed.

I never understand why people expect you to do the work of the room steward you are paying him for.

do i expect ice in my cooler-especially when i specifically ask him/her for it? you bet! asking them to remove the items in the mini fridge-if nothing else, that should be done by the steward (whether it's in his job description or not) just for customer service aspect...maybe he can garner an additional tip for going out of his way.

my last steward saw my cooler and filled it daily and I never even asked him to do this.

i have read on this site many times, to ask your steward to remove these items if you do not want them. that is not an unusual or extra request. neither is having a small personal cooler filled with ice.

if all my steward has to do is make my bed and empty my trash, i think he's got it made. I already hang up all of my towels and reuse them. i clean up after myself...there's not much left for him/her to do to warrant that much in tips. so if these snarky stewards keep it up, they just might get themselves right out of a job/tips.

I agree, IF that really happened I would have an issue with someone blocking me from leaving my room. And after me and the RS had it out, that's when I go to guest services and get a new RS. But I think some of these posts IMO, are a little fluffed up.

Hard to argue with that. I seriously am going to fight someone if they block me from leaving my room, but that is one of the few advantages to being "John Heald" sized, it would be hard to block me from going through any doorway.

I think you're talking about twindaddys post, lol. But I know what you mean and agree with you

Yeah, I shouldnt have mixed a serious response with a funny response, I think it threw some people. No problemo...

I would never do the tear the tip in half game, but does anyone slip the steward a $20 to start the week? Is that a douchy move?

I never found out my room steward's name or got a formal introduction but he was always friendly, and our room was immaculate all the time! We even came back to the room while he was out doing drills (we came back early while we were in port), and he was in the middle of cleaning our cabin when he was called to the drill. We left and went up to Serenity for a few hours and when we came back the room was PERFECT. Never disturbed, nothing was ever moved or misplaced. Just wonderful service! We left him a nice tip. Even when I stay in a hotel, I don't usually have housekeeping come in daily as I tend to spend a fair bit of time in the room, but our steward was just so efficient, we never worried about being in his way or him being in ours. And it was so nice to come back to a perfectly made bed all the time. He'd even re-make my bed if I had a nap!

I only cruised one time, back in March but I have a Christmas cruise and the Monsters of Rock (MSC cruise line ) booked so I can only go by our first experience. Our RS was wonderful. He went by the name "K" and I go by the name "V" so we had fun with our names together.

He was wonderful, too wonderful as a matter of fact. We gave him a nice tip the night before we left plus the ones that are added to our bill. What I wouldn't do to have him again.

My only problem was that I saw how hard he had to work. It seemed like he was always on duty

I wish everyone had the same service that I received

So, I have read this thread with interest and do know that the RS can make or break your cruise. It all comes down to "what do you expect" and "what do you tip if your expectations are met"

I Expect

Ice for my cooler and ice bucket 2 times per day

My bed made in the morning but not if I sleep in

My bed turned down with a towel animal each night (maybe not the 1st night as I know they are very busy getting luggage out) Please leave them all week

3 washcloths and 2 bath towels per day per person in the room(I shower in the morning and before dinner, I AM NOT washing my face with the same cloth that I washed my butt with that morning, I also like to take my makeup off before bed, not the mention I use them to clean up all the water on the bathroom floor after we shower)

1 beach towel per person for the next day

trash empty each day

bathroom counter wiped off each day

toilet paper replaced as needed or extra in the room

sheets changed if needed

to be polite

What I do not expect

Sheets changed if not needed

picking up my clothes

picking up my trash (it will be in the trash can)

picking up my dirty dishes from room service (I will stack them on the tray and leave either in the hallway or on the table as directed)

for you to address me by name, or spend time chatting - although I do enjoy talking with them I know they are busy

Cleaning the ashtray on my balcony - It's my nasty habit I'll clean it up

We do prepaid tips and also tip $25 on the first day DH let's them know there is more where that came from and if MAMA IS HAPPY EVERYBODY IS HAPPY! The amount we leave at the end is totally based on if my expectations are met, as much as $75 totaling $100 for the week. So in saying

Potential Income

1 RS with 20 cabins on a 7 day

3.70 x 7 x 20 = $518

$25 at the start = $500

$75 at the end = $1500

For a total of $2518 for the week potential even with 2 assistance that pretty is good money in my neck of the woods

So what are your expectation and what do you tip?

Potential Income

1 RS with 20 cabins on a 7 day

3.70 x 7 x 20 = $518

$25 at the start = $500

$75 at the end = $1500

For a total of $2518 for the week potential even with 2 assistance that pretty is good money in my neck of the woods

If your numbers are accurate' date=' cabin stewards are making $130,000/year. :eek:

Very generous of you, but lets be realistic here.

[list']

[*]A lot of people tip just the suggested amount, not a penny more.

[*]Based on what we read here, somebody feels the need to remove tips altogether.

[*]The $3.70 per day doesn't go completely to the cabin steward. Let's say that $2.50 goes to the cabin steward, with the balance going to his assistant.

So 20 cabins for 7 days:

(Lets say that at least one person decides to remove tips)

19 cabins X $2.50 X 7 = $332.50 / week

That makes the total in tips around $18,000 in addition to a base salary. Cabin stewards make on average $28,000 a year, so I'm sure that they are making a bit more than my numbers, but considerably less than your numbers.

The 3.70 is per person not per cabin... so a potnetial of doubling that amount as a base number. From the Carnival FAQ

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

Never had a bad experience, but sure had an interesting one...

My wife and I were ummm... You know.. And the steward walked in. (In fairness, im not sure if he knocked or not, was way pre-occupied, naked and on top of the sheets to notice).

The odd part is, I think he was in shock because he just stood there frozen for what seemed like forever, watching us (im sure it was just a few seconds), before he scurried back saying "Oh sowwy, Oh Sowwy"... lol

Needless to say, we never even stopped our fun while he was there... lol So I am sure that he had an interesting story to tell his friends later...

Hmmm....

Now that I think about it, its no wonder why we kept getting fresh ice buckets in our cabin, all day long after that, and always by different stewards, who knocked VERY lightly... lol J/K.

Was a funny experience though.

The 3.70 is per person not per cabin... so a potnetial of doubling that amount as a base number. From the Carnival FAQ

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

I was going to say that: it is $3.70 per PERSON per DAY not per cabin - so if there are 2 people it is Xs 2 - 3 people Xs 3 and so on. This includes all children over the age of 2 although I think they should be tipped for babies as well as there are diapers, wipes towels etc (maybe not full amount). When we took our two children it was quite costly for tipping ($40 a day at that time) but worth every penny. Our kids were a challenge to even the most seasoned steward and they never batted an eye in fact they were super with the kids.

I asked our cabin steward last month and he said he had 25 cabins.Maybe not being truthful but thats alot of work even for 10 cabins to make everyone happy

And at $50 each per week, they should consider how they make their money that they wouldn't make in their homeland.

I don't ask for much but do like to be respected. Anyone in the service industry knows what they got into before they 'signed on the dotted line', they should remember it is the service industry.

When someone talks about removing tips for stupid little petty things, they sound like a cheapskate to me. Especially someone like you who says they work or worked for tips. I Would not completely withhold tips, I would adjust my tips in accordance with the service I received, but not down to $0, that's pathetic. I haven't read anything on this thread that would warrant 100% removal if tips, not even 1% If you worked as a waitress I'm sure you were stiffed a time or two, how mad did that make you ? Now imagine if you served them ppl for a whole week. Heaven forbid those ppl didn't get their wash cloth right away, lets cut up Carnival property, AND take away his tips, but we will let him be our room steward for the rest of the week and work for nothing. If you truly think a RS is so bad you should remove their tips, go to guest services and request a different one. And pre-paid tips does not mean you will get bad service, for one, obviously we know tips can be removed, and two, they know the better service they give, the more they might get above pre-paid tips. And yes they chose to work on these ships, but even with the occasional cheapskate, they still make better money than they can at home. IMHO

No one works for nothing...... every employee earns a wage from Carnival, whether we think it's enough or not, it's that wage they signed up for.... anything over that is bonus.

If your steward is giving you "attitude" it's probably a reflection of the way you are treating him/her. Some people just have no idea how to interact with staff and think its OK to be demanding, rude, inconsiderate and cheap. It's embarrassing to see how clueless they are.

This is complete hogwash! Sometimes the blame needs to be placed where it belongs. Carnival doesn't pay well and has enforced expanded duties to many staff. That being said if they aren't happy with their employer don't take it out on me.

I've cruised a few times and have always had good service and have tipped above and beyond. Having said that, if I were to receive service I wasn't happy with, I would also react accordingly. I am not there to supplement anyone's income, I'm there for a cruise that I paid for.

I honestly believe I deserve good service with respect for the money I've spent, rather than 'earning loyalty perks'.

They don't know for sure about the RS getting a salary, they are just speculating, or I'd like to know as well how they would know. I was told the same thing as you, they work for tips only.

http://www.allcruisejobs.com/

http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i4363/thai-female-stateroom-attendants-ampamp-assistants/

All positions indicate salary (most in US $$), some even list the amount of salary.

Sorry, no speculation on my part.

I completely agree - if he seriously does this I hope he gets lousy service and when he asks for the other half back the steward tears it up in front of him and tells him to shove it (of course, the steward keeps the serial number so it cannot be put back together) The poster deserves to be more than $100 out - he deserves to be banned for being so condescending and demeaning to another human being. Whew, do you think I am a little p o ed.

If the RS only got 1/3 of the bill the remaining 2/3 would be deemed 'damaged' and is redeemable by the US Treasury.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/replacemoney.htm

Doesn't take away the fact that it would be a lousy thing to do.

http://www.allcruisejobs.com/

http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i4363/thai-female-stateroom-attendants-ampamp-assistants/

All positions indicate salary (most in US $$), some even list the amount of salary.

Sorry, no speculation on my part.

Sorry,but yes you are still speculating, that is not a carnival website. And if you read every post I made, I said they very well may receive a salary, but a very minimal salary. But whatever their salary is, they still work for tips. How about you go to that website and apply, see what ya get. Better yet try this website page. http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i3681/2nd-housekeeper/

What's that salary say ? Lol

I always find the room steward on the first day/evening of the cruise and give him 1/2 of a $100 bill and tell him to take care of me and he'll get the other 1/2 the last night on the ship. Amazing what service I always get. That is in addition to the normal gratuities. So far so good!

Please tell me you're joking??? :eek:

Sorry,but yes you are still speculating, that is not a carnival website. And if you read every post I made, I said they very well may receive a salary, but a very minimal salary. But whatever their salary is, they still work for tips. How about you go to that website and apply, see what ya get. Better yet try this website page. http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i3681/2nd-housekeeper/

Thanks for posting the link ;)

Nitro ,I am so sorry but your fighting a battle I have tried many times on many threads :)

Save your breath the cheap are in numbers on here ;)

Archived