Princess or RCI with 13 year old?

tobymurph

We're doing a Caribbean cruise during spring break and I'm trying to decide between 2 cruise lines - Princess or RCI? I like the itinerary of the 10 day Princess Emerald a bit more - but will it have enough entertainment for a young teen? What activities can they do at this age? Are there many kids in this age group on a 10 day cruise? How do the two ships compare in what they offer?

How would you compare these ships in other ways such as food, entertainment?

Thanks!

I've sailed both lines and would give an edge to Princess. I am doing Royal in January and have sailed them in the past so it's not that I wouldn't sail Royal but if Princess was doing the identical itinerary- I'd do Princess.

Personally- I found Radiance and Independence of the Seas just ok. I really didn't like the pools on Royal. The Princess pools are the best IMO. I also like Movies Under the Stars on Princess. Both cruise lines will have teen activities- but on 10 day cruises there may be fewer kids.

You didn't mention which RCI ship you are considering. If it's a Freedom or Oasis class, there are tons more activities available such as the rock climbing wall, flow rider (very popular with this age group), mini golf, basketball and the like.

You didn't mention which RCI ship you are considering. If it's a Freedom or Oasis class, there are tons more activities available such as the rock climbing wall, flow rider (very popular with this age group), mini golf, basketball and the like.

I agree, I would say that, in general, the RCI ships have more going on for teens, particularly the Freedom and Oasis Class. They also tend to have better entertainment.

I'm not sure when exactly you are going, but if it is the week before or after Easter, I'd go with Princess so that you will not have so many kids on board. A longer itinerary and Princess being a bit more adult-oriented would make it less overwhelming child-wise. During a non-holiday time I might lean toward RCI. However, it also depends on which ship in either line. Good luck choosing!

I was considering the Oasis or Allure because they seem to be the most highly rated for young teens in terms of activities. I've heard Princess groups all teens together - up to age 17 so I wouldn't like that set up. Apparently RCI would group 12-14 which would be better. Most of you would go with Princess and I'd rather go with them too if there are enough kids my daughter's age on board. If you have any first hand experiences with your own 13 year olds onboard, please let me know!

Hello cruiseaholic777 - maybe because I haven't cruised before, but I didn't get the joke why you had to laugh at the last post.

I was considering the Oasis or Allure because they seem to be the most highly rated for young teens in terms of activities. I've heard Princess groups all teens together - up to age 17 so I wouldn't like that set up. Apparently RCI would group 12-14 which would be better. Most of you would go with Princess and I'd rather go with them too if there are enough kids my daughter's age on board. If you have any first hand experiences with your own 13 year olds onboard, please let me know!

Hello cruiseaholic777 - maybe because I haven't cruised before, but I didn't get the joke why you had to laugh at the last post.

I'm guessing that she was laughing because I remarked that the RCI Freedom and Oasis class ships have better entertainment than Princess, and she must not have had a good experience on her RCI cruise (which was not on an Oasis or Freedom class ship). The shows really are incredible - actual Broadway productions (Chicago, Hairspray, Saturday Night Fever, etc.), amazing ice skating shows, and on the Oasis and Allure the water-based shows. They also have parades and Dreamworks characters. Leaps and bounds above the standard cruise ship entertainment found on a lot of the other mainstream lines (although some NCL ships and Disney also have super entertainment options). However, I can't speak to what is available entertainment-wise on the older RCI ships, such as the one that poster was on (Navigator). I'm thinking she was not blown away by the entertainment!

We just did the 10 day Emerald over thanksgiving. We normally cruise over Thanksgiving because DD has off from school for a week. On the 7 day itineraries, there are usually TONS of kids. I'm not sure what the total for all kids was on the 10 day, but it was no where near the 300-500 we've experienced on the 7 day Thanksgiving Cruises. There were only 25 teens on this cruise. There were activities planned, but the group of 7-8 teens that actually went to the program chose to just "hang out" in the evenings. There is a hot tub for the teens just outside the teen club (in full view of the staff). They generally spent most evenings in the hot tub.

Archived