Where to snorkel in So Caribbean?

karen11g

I posted this on the scuba and snorkel board earlier, but it doesn't seem as active there - no responses yet. I'm also on the individual ports of call boards. But I wanted to get comparison opinions, so I'll try here too.

We're cruising the So Caribbean on Adventure in March and are trying to figure out: between our four ports of call - St Thomas, Aruba, Curaçao and St Kitts - where might we expect the best snorkeling?

If you were to pick one island, or one location on an island, or one excursion (RC'S or private) from among these ports, what would you choose?

Answering your question really depends on your personal ability since some snorkeling locations require greater swimming skill. For example, we think the best snorkeling location on Aruba is an area off Arashi Beach. This is a pretty remote beach (reachable by the inexpensive public bus from town near the cruise port) that has no public facilities. But it is a long swim from the beach (not hard for skilled snorkelers) to the reef which is also accessed by many snorkel boat excursions. On St Kitts we like to go to Shipwreck Beach (there is a friendly bar/restaurant) which is actually located on South Friars Bay (any taxi will take you there from the taxi stand located at the cruise port)... At Shipwreck there is a long rocky reef that runs parallel to the shore (towards your right when looking out to sea)...but this also requires a lot of swimming although you are never too far from the beach (the bar owners will point you in the right direction). On Curacao there are quite a few different locations (we like to rent a car and go to some remote beaches about 20 miles from town) that require various skill levels.

St Thomas is not our favorite snorkel island but many beginners like to snorkel at Coki Beach (where I taught my daughter to snorkel when she was 5). Personally, we usually go to either Morningstar or Lindberg/Emerald depending on which docking area our ship is located. There is some so so snorkeling on the left side (along the rocks) of both beaches (we always manage to find a small school of interesting squidd at Lindberg). We will often snorkel at every Caribbean port but much depends on the weather (and wind on some Curacao and Aruba). Perhaps our favorite snorkeling is on Bonaire (not on your list) where we like to do a long drift snorkel that we access from a private excursion boat called the Woodwind operated by a lovely young lady named Di or Dee.

As to the best snorkeling of all, we think its found near several of the Society Islands (Tahiti) where we thought it worth the very long flight just to be in those amazing waters. We even rate it higher then the Great Barrier Reef (which has amazing SCUBA and pretty darn good snorkeling)...so perhaps these places will be in your future. We have also stumbled on some fantastic snorkeling in the Bahamas.....but some of these sites (such as the Berry Islands) are no longer visited by cruise ships.

Hank

I have had some excellent snorkeling at Boca Catalina beach on Aruba, easily reached by local transit bus and about a 1 block walk. Also at Coki Beach on St. Thomas and a local jitney cab will cost you about $11 pp each way. In both cases go to the right as you enter the water.

I would also prefer Curacao most times. This past June went to Coki Beach in St Thomas to reach my 9 and 11 yo how to snorkel. I thought it was the perfect beach for first timers with crystal clear water and gentle waves. It was a great learning spot for my kids who are now hooked on snorkeling ( and cruising).

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I've found good snorkeling in Caracas Bay on Cuacao. There's a sunken tug boat there and a good amount of fish, soft corals and sponges. There's a beach club there as well as the ruins if an old fort and the Quarrentine House which is interesting.

Thanks all. We have a group of 10 with different levels of experience. Most have snorkeled a few times, a couple of us have snorkeled quite a bit, including the Great Barrier Reef. We won't all necessarily do the same thing, but looking for a location with good likelihood of seeing interesting sea life. Sound like Curaçao is a good bet from this thread and from other sources.

Now to narrow down the Curaçao options! Will check the ones mentioned here and post anything good. Interested in any further comments! Thanks all!

Archived