Disembarktation and Flights

dlawrence

We are sailing on Independance of the Seas March 10 - 16; has anyone booked a fllight earlier than 10:00a.m (return home) and had any problems making the flight. Found a great deal, but flight leaves at 9:35 a..m. from FLL. Knowing the airport is close; we haven't had any trouble in the past making 11:00 flights taking our luggage off with us.

Would appreicate thoughts about a 9:35 a.m. flight

Happy Thanksgiving

Unfortunately, the airlines price those early flights because they know it is almost impossible to get them.

There have been numerous threads about this subject.

The bottom line is that you have to self disembark at the earliest time, hope that customs does not hold up the ship, drag all your luggage and hope to get a taxi to the airport.

Now what happens if the Oasis or Allure dumps its 6000 passengers through the airport at the same time?

The stress of trying to make that flight can ruin the whole cruise.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

Talisker92 has a good point! However, the odds of there Not being a Taxi awaiting you is next to Null. The better odds are that Customs will stop to inspect and hold you up there. [Roll the dice cause it's a crap shoot] Considering you have to be at the airport these days at least 1 hr before departure that leaves you next to no time breathing room...the risk is there!

Once you embark you will need to go straight to the Guest Services and put in a request for early disembarkment. Then as Talisker92 said you will need to drag all your luggage with you off the ship. Do not set it out the night before! Upon the ship clearing of customs you need to be at the doors as they open ready to high tail it out of there.

Bottom line: I would have a back up plan if you want to stick to the early flight and don't be all bummed out if it doesn't work out. IF you had another 1/2 to 1 hour on your side I would say 'go for it!' considering you can almost see the airport from the port.

So...are you a gambler? That's the 64 Million dollar question! Good Luck!

You can't judge your ability to make a flight based on what time it's schedueld to depart. You have to judge based on what time you should be at the AP. For a 9:30 flight you have to be there at 8:00 a.m. You need a 1/2 hour travel time to the AP. Still think you can make it? I doubt it.

I haven't done it and would be too nervous to try, however, the last few times I sailed out of FLL, we were in a taxi by 7:00am, so technically, I could have made an 9-9:30am flight.

I can't say whether or not it will be the same for you, but that has been my experience.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We are sailing on Independance of the Seas March 10 - 16; has anyone booked a fllight earlier than 10:00a.m (return home) and had any problems making the flight. Found a great deal, but flight leaves at 9:35 a..m. from FLL. Knowing the airport is close; we haven't had any trouble in the past making 11:00 flights taking our luggage off with us.

Happy Thanksgiving

Discount coach tickets (the kind you and I buy about 99% of the time), are non-refundable, meaning if you decide not to travel, or miss your flight out of your own fault you lose the ticket. Period.

Now, these nonrefundable tickets can be changed in ahead of time for a $50 fee, plus the difference in ticket price. Not cheap, but better than loosing one ticket and buying an entirely new one. But these changed reservations need to be done in advance. So if you miss your flight, they need to be done at least before the plane has taken off – even if you aren’t on it.

Then, I understand, especially if you are at the airport, the airline may treat missing your flight as any reschedule, and can get you on the next flight for those change fees.

How much are you willing to spend if you miss the flight?

Happy Thanksgiving

If you look over on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

you will see this topic discussed almost daily. Summary of answers- flights before 10:30 are crazy. Between 10:30-11:30 are doable, but with some risk, after 11:30 much safer and saner.

Archived