Oosterdam vs Volendam? your thoughts!

smalldog

Hi all, I just posted a similar question over on the Australia/New Zealand board, but I know you HAL experts will have some different insights for me. :)

I've been on the Volendam a couple of times before (Alaska and NZ) and enjoyed the style and ambience of the ship, getting dressed for dinner, that sort of thing. I've also been on the Sun Princess once which was nice but didn't have that extra quality of HAL, and the cabins were very small in comparison to Volendam. (and the beds were atrocious, alas)

I'm considering Oosterdam to Pacific Islands in Jan 2013... would I like the Oosterdam? What do you think are the pros and cons of each ship? Do you like the service, the decor? How different are the facilities between the two?

Thank you in advance for the great tips. :)

I have not been on the Volendam, but I have been on the Amsterdam and Oosterdam. Amsterdam is the same class as Volendam. There are quite a lot of similarities. I have been on 5 different HAL ships and it seems to me that HAL ships are all quite similar in their furnishings, layout and amenities. I suppose the Prinsendam is an exception. The differences are really seen in the size of the ship and common areas and most obviously in the spa and hydro-therapy suite. It seemed like the actual cabin in the Amsterdam was slightly larger than on the Oosterdam also.

As for service, that does seem to be somewhat ship specific. I found the crew and service on the Amsterdam to be a step above the 4 vista ships I have been on. I also really liked the decor on the Amsterdam. It just seemed a little more elegant and understated compared to the Vista ships. I do like the aft suites on the Vistas class and the hydrotherapy pools better.

I'm sure others will be able to give exact differences, but in my opinion, you won't find any monumental differences. I would choose between the two based on how many passengers you want to sail with and the itinerary.

I have not been on the Volendam, but I have been on the Amsterdam and Oosterdam. Amsterdam is the same class as Volendam. There are quite a lot of similarities. I have been on 5 different HAL ships and it seems to me that HAL ships are all quite similar in their furnishings, layout and amenities. I suppose the Prinsendam is an exception. The differences are really seen in the size of the ship and common areas and most obviously in the spa and hydro-therapy suite. It seemed like the actual cabin in the Amsterdam was slightly larger than on the Oosterdam also.

As for service, that does seem to be somewhat ship specific. I found the crew and service on the Amsterdam to be a step above the 4 vista ships I have been on. I also really liked the decor on the Amsterdam. It just seemed a little more elegant and understated compared to the Vista ships. I do like the aft suites on the Vistas class and the hydrotherapy pools better.

I'm sure others will be able to give exact differences, but in my opinion, you won't find any monumental differences. I would choose between the two based on how many passengers you want to sail with and the itinerary.

I've read different things about the service on different ships in the same line. The management of the team would make a difference to how well the team works together, I guess.

I hope they all have the day of the week on the floor of the elevator. I find that surprisingly helpful. ;)

Another thing to consider is the type of cabin you are looking at booking. For example, for deluxe suites, the Volendam has only one category (S) while Oosterdam has 3 (SA, SB, SC). Result is that the prices on the Oosterdam are often far lower on an SC than the S (Volendam). Further, the Oosterdam has Aft cabins (in various categories), while Volendam does not.

Both are great ships IMO.

DaveOKC

Hi all, I just posted a similar question over on the Australia/New Zealand board, but I know you HAL experts will have some different insights for me. :)

I've been on the Volendam a couple of times before (Alaska and NZ) and enjoyed the style and ambience of the ship, getting dressed for dinner, that sort of thing. I've also been on the Sun Princess once which was nice but didn't have that extra quality of HAL, and the cabins were very small in comparison to Volendam. (and the beds were atrocious, alas)

I'm considering Oosterdam to Pacific Islands in Jan 2013... would I like the Oosterdam? What do you think are the pros and cons of each ship? Do you like the service, the decor? How different are the facilities between the two?

Thank you in advance for the great tips. :)

DW & I sailed Volendam for an AU-NZ cruise in 2010 and Noordam (sister to Oosterdam) for a Med cruise in 2011. Wonderful experiences on both ships. :)

We've cruised on both the Oosterdam and Volendam and without doubt we'd pick the Volendam. The Volendam is tied with the Ryndam as our all time favorite and actually would be our number one favorite if it weren't for having honeymooned on the Ryndam. The Oosterdam is near the bottom and only misses out being our least favorite because our Veendam cruise was so bad.

Odd. We have been on the Oosterdam twice and enjoyed it immensely both times in a veranda stateroom. I just can't see how it would be rated poorly. It is a big ship experience without being crazy big and not too crowded (except for the Lido).

igraf

We've cruised on both the Oosterdam and Volendam and without doubt we'd pick the Volendam. The Volendam is tied with the Ryndam as our all time favorite and actually would be our number one favorite if it weren't for having honeymooned on the Ryndam. The Oosterdam is near the bottom and only misses out being our least favorite because our Veendam cruise was so bad.

Odd. We have been on the Oosterdam twice and enjoyed it immensely both times in a veranda stateroom. I just can't see how it would be rated poorly. It is a big ship experience without being crazy big and not too crowded (except for the Lido).

igraf

In all fairness to the Oosterdam it wasn't or isn't that we had a bad cruise or that there was something specifically bad or wrong with the ship. It's a relative thing in the sense that we enjoy the cozier feeling of the smaller R and S class ships.

Archived