Tipping - Small Children / Infants

MikeInThornhill

The workers don't get much of a salary - so the tips are the main thing for thier work. If I worried about every person who helps me I would be be giving tips to many many people. I pay the "tips" that are auto tips - And then tips for anything speical. I wish that they would fold in the "auto tips" into the price and let us just enjoy the cruise.

Tip anyway. Everyone on the ships work very hard for their money, we all know that. Consider it a donation. I give to charities all the time and I don't see/don't know where the money goes. On the ships we all see just how hard these folks work. I can understand the dilemma with small kiddos/infants. Maybe a compromise would be tip tip for 3 adults????

We pay the automatic tip everytime. It is our understanding that the money goes to not only servers, but also to those people behind the scenes who don't get chance to win your favor and your money. We also tip our Butler, Concierge or Stateroom Attendant, whoever it is in charge of our cabin, right up front and continue to tip those around us who do a good job or go out of their way to make our holiday better.

I can afford to cruise, so I choose to spread it around a bit for those people who work 12 hrs a day and still manage to appear happier than most of my fellow cruisers. :):)

We pay the automatic tip everytime. It is our understanding that the money goes to not only servers, but also to those people behind the scenes who don't get chance to win your favor and your money. We also tip our Butler, Concierge or Stateroom Attendant, whoever it is in charge of our cabin, right up front and continue to tip those around us who do a good job or go out of their way to make our holiday better.

I can afford to cruise, so I choose to spread it around a bit for those people who work 12 hrs a day and still manage to appear happier than most of my fellow cruisers. :):)

This is true on those cruiselines that charge a Hotel Service Charge. On DCL, the auto-billing only bills the actual tips for your room host, server, asst server, and head server. Other positions, like the kids club staff, are non-tippable and cannot accept cash.

This is true on those cruiselines that charge a Hotel Service Charge. On DCL, the auto-billing only bills the actual tips for your room host, server, asst server, and head server. Other positions, like the kids club staff, are non-tippable and cannot accept cash.

You can show your appreciation to kids club staff with gifts.

You can show your appreciation to kids club staff with gifts.

I would suggest gift cards to Wal-Mart, CVS, or Target rather than "gifts" which they might not want/need or have room for.

I would suggest gift cards to Wal-Mart, CVS, or Target rather than "gifts" which they might not want/need or have room for.

Wish I'd thought of that before my cruise last month. Will keep it in mind for next year.

I had somewhat questioned tipping the dining room staff for my 3 year old. At least until I walked into Parrot Cay the first night where they already had a drink waiting for my daughter with her name on it. That with the service and attention they gave her, I ended up putting extra cash in along with the card for the prepaid tip when I handed over the envelope the last night of the cruise.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, I think 'gift cards' would come under the category of 'Gifts', Candy etc, wasn't thinking of anything large?

I know that on port days, they take van loads of crew members into town, wherever that is, to go shopping. Are these the stores that are available to them?

I know that on port days, they take van loads of crew members into town, wherever that is, to go shopping. Are these the stores that are available to them?

There are vans that offer a shuttle service to the malls, not laid on by DCL, but a vendor, and at a very reasonable cost in PC.

Merritt Island is the mall

ex techie

What would CMs prefer as a gift????

I would say that would depend on the position of the CM and in some circumstances their nationality.

If you can be a little more specific as to the position that would help.

If they are in a position that can accept cash, then cash everytime!

I would say that would depend on the position of the CM and in some circumstances their nationality.

If you can be a little more specific as to the position that would help.

If they are in a position that can accept cash, then cash everytime!

Recent discussion was on the non tipped positions, such has kids club CM's.

Candy?

Phone cards?

Gift Cards?

Recent discussion was on the non tipped positions, such has kids club CM's.

Candy?

Phone cards?

Gift Cards?

I wouldn't give candy--some people don't like it and others don't want it. Phone cards used to be good, but now everyone has cell phones. Provided we are talking about a cruise that regularly leaves from US ports, gift cards to CVS and WalMart are always going to be good options.

I wouldn't give candy--some people don't like it and others don't want it. Phone cards used to be good, but now everyone has cell phones. Provided we are talking about a cruise that regularly leaves from US ports, gift cards to CVS and WalMart are always going to be good options.

This is why I was asking the question from the CM perspective, you cant consider everything, now on Candy just in case one person doesn't like it I am sure they can trade with a friend who would like it.

Not sure if CM's on a six month contract would keep a cell phone contract going, rather than buy short term SIMS locally, so I still feel its worthwhile and again its possible to trade those.

Not everywhere has a Wallmart locally or within the port distance to get there and back but it might suit some people.

Archived