LHR specific hotel suggestion...

We will be debarking in Dover in early July. Our flight home leaves the next morning. We have been to London several times and are spending time there before our cruise. So we have no desire to sightsee on our final day. We thought the easiest thing to do would be to take the National Express to LHR and stay in a nearby hotel. (We fly out of terminal 1).

We like nice hotels but we also like getting value for money. Do nearby hotels have a courtesy bus to the airport? Any suggestions as to a convenient nice hotel that doesn't cost a fortune? Any suggested method of getting the best deal?

Thanks!

The last two times I have flown out of Heathrow, I have stayed at the Radison Blu Edwardian hotel on Bath road at Heathrow, excellent hotel real quality and last time around 100 pounds a night and I will tell you now nothing decent and cheap in this area.

They have an airport hoppa bus that picks up from the hotel and drops you off at which ever terminal you need, from memory about 7 pound return trip, hope this helps you out.:)

A co-worker that travels frequently to LHR has suggested the Ibis. Room is small but adequate for your over night needs. He has stayed there several times; thought I'd look into it myself for my upcoming trip. Take a look, you never know.:D Safe travels.

We are booked in the Holiday Inn M4, Jct 4 at 75 pounds per night. The reviews on Trip Advisor are very, very good for such a great price. Several people mentioned they got it for even cheaper on Priceline or Expedia.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g191261-d193011-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_London_Heathrow_M4_JCT_4-West_Drayton_Middlesex_England.html

Do nearby hotels have a courtesy bus to the airport?
No. With only one exception (that is irrelevant for Terminal 1), conventional shuttle buses are banned from Heathrow.

Instead, you are encouraged to take what is probably the world's most hated hotel transfer service, the Hotel Hoppa, which is expensive, inconvenient and unreliable.

Or you can take a taxi between the airport and the hotel, although this is likely to produce the usual snarling from the taxi driver because of the short trip (although this is actually only for show because if he can get back to the terminal quickly after dropping you off he doesn't have to join the long queue in the feeder park).

Or you can use the free local buses to many hotels. But trying to manage luggage on these is an interesting experience even for the very fit.

One option that avoids all of this while still possibly providing you with a cheap rate is to stay at the Yotel in Terminal 4. Then you can get the free train transfer from Terminal 4 to the central terminal area where Terminal 1 is situated.

No. With only one exception (that is irrelevant for Terminal 1), conventional shuttle buses are banned from Heathrow.

Instead, you are encouraged to take what is probably the world's most hated hotel transfer service, the Hotel Hoppa, which is expensive, inconvenient and unreliable.

Or you can take a taxi between the airport and the hotel, although this is likely to produce the usual snarling from the taxi driver because of the short trip (although this is actually only for show because if he can get back to the terminal quickly after dropping you off he doesn't have to join the long queue in the feeder park).

Or you can use the free local buses to many hotels. But trying to manage luggage on these is an interesting experience even for the very fit.

One option that avoids all of this while still possibly providing you with a cheap rate is to stay at the Yotel in Terminal 4. Then you can get the free train transfer from Terminal 4 to the central terminal area where Terminal 1 is situated.

Thanks for all the specific info. It sounds like a hassle all the way around. Since we will probably arrive from Dover around noon, we need a place to relax until the next day. So the Yotel won't work for us. But it does get me thinking. If I could get a decent rate for the Sofitel at terminal 5, is there inter-terminal transportation from there? After all, if we are going to be spending £20 going to and from a hotel NEAR the airport, I can up the budget some to stay AT the airport assuming free inter-terminal transportation. Looking at standard rates, I think a deal unlikely, but could it be an option?

Also, have you any comments on the Premiere Inn on Bath road? It's rated highly on TripAdvisor.

My thanks go out to you and everyone who has made a suggestion.

Thanks for all the specific info. It sounds like a hassle all the way around. Since we will probably arrive from Dover around noon, we need a place to relax until the next day. So the Yotel won't work for us. But it does get me thinking. If I could get a decent rate for the Sofitel at terminal 5, is there inter-terminal transportation from there? After all, if we are going to be spending £20 going to and from a hotel NEAR the airport, I can up the budget some to stay AT the airport assuming free inter-terminal transportation. Looking at standard rates, I think a deal unlikely, but could it be an option?

Also, have you any comments on the Premiere Inn on Bath road? It's rated highly on TripAdvisor.

My thanks go out to you and everyone who has made a suggestion.

Yes, you can take the Heathrow Express train for free between T5 and T1/3.

I frequently stay at the LHR hotels for one night as they are so much cheaper. I usually bid on Priceline, pay approx $60 plus tax for a 4 star hotel. (Dollars not pounds).The hoppa bus is 7 pounds return but many of the hotels on the Bath Road have a free bus service from Central Bus Station. Bus 105, 111, 285 and 140 are free and stop near the hotels as long as you can manage your luggage.

Last Minute Travel has a 4 star hotel for approx $60-70 including tax which is the Holiday Inn Express Terminal 5. Nowhere near Terminal 5 and more like a 3 star but does include free hot breakfast. If you do a mock booking and include a car it will show the name of the hotel prior to payment. This way you can be sure of the name of the hotel prior to paying. Marks and Spencer convenience store across the road for snacks, or could be Sainsbury.

Sheraton Heathrow is in need of a face lift , free bus route.

Sheraton Skyline is lovely, free bus route. Stayed there last month for $60 plus $19 tax. They upgraded me free to a two queen room as they don't have twin beds. I find with Priceline if I need twin beds it is better to email the hotel after booking to request this and also a non smoking room. (Heathrow South zone)

Hilton Terminal 4 has walkway from Terminal 4 and free shuttle from Terminal 5.

Marriott Heathrow/Windsor need hoppa bus. They included free breakfast on my stay last year. Toby carvery across the road. Bus stops outside for Windsor which makes a nice excursion.

These are all hotels I have stayed at recently. Hope this helps. If you go to better bidding .com you will get more information.

I frequently stay at the LHR hotels for one night as they are so much cheaper. I usually bid on Priceline, pay approx $60 plus tax for a 4 star hotel. (Dollars not pounds).The hoppa bus is 7 pounds return but many of the hotels on the Bath Road have a free bus service from Central Bus Station. Bus 105, 111, 285 and 140 are free and stop near the hotels as long as you can manage your luggage.

Last Minute Travel has a 4 star hotel for approx $60-70 including tax which is the Holiday Inn Express Terminal 5. Nowhere near Terminal 5 and more like a 3 star but does include free hot breakfast. If you do a mock booking and include a car it will show the name of the hotel prior to payment. This way you can be sure of the name of the hotel prior to paying. Marks and Spencer convenience store across the road for snacks, or could be Sainsbury.

Sheraton Heathrow is in need of a face lift , free bus route.

Sheraton Skyline is lovely, free bus route. Stayed there last month for $60 plus $19 tax. They upgraded me free to a two queen room as they don't have twin beds. I find with Priceline if I need twin beds it is better to email the hotel after booking to request this and also a non smoking room.

Hilton Terminal 4 has walkway from Terminal 4 and free shuttle from Terminal 5.

Marriott Heathrow/Windsor need hoppa bus. They included free breakfast on my stay last year. Toby carvery across the road. Bus stops outside for Windsor which makes a nice excursion.

These are all hotels I have stayed at recently. Hope this helps. If you go to better bidding .com you will get more information.

Thanks Maryann! I've never done Priceline bidding before and am a little afraid of it. I'll see what better bidding has to say.

Rita

Have you stayed at the Holiday Inn on Bath Rd?

We are arriving at 9PM terminal 3, and picking up a car at Hertz. We don't want to be driving too far after a long flight, have read that the Holiday Inn on Bath Rd is very close.

What's happening in London at the beginning of July? Or is it just because it is summer. When I go to all the suggested hotels, the rates are almost double what people have gotten.

Rita

Last minute travel is showing the Holiday Inn Express for $71 for July. You would need the Hoppa bus. As I said before if you do a fake booking adding a car it shows the hotel name.

Have you stayed at the Holiday Inn on Bath Rd?

We are arriving at 9PM terminal 3, and picking up a car at Hertz. We don't want to be driving too far after a long flight, have read that the Holiday Inn on Bath Rd is very close.

I stayed there many years ago.They used to have cheaper weekend rates. Most hotels charge an arm and a leg for parking though.

It is very close, just opposite the airport exit.

MaryAnn... would love your opinion....

We have reservations at Holiday Inn T4, Jct 4 and reservations at the Hilton T4. The difference in total price is $332.00. (For a 2-night stay) Do you see any big reason why we should stay at the Hilton vs Holiday Inn?? We plan to do the roundtrip Hoppa to the airport if staying at the Holiday Inn.

The price of transportation to/fro central London for two can't compare to the difference in central London hotel prices and for the $322 difference, we could probably stay in central London?? :confused:

MaryAnn... would love your opinion....

We have reservations at Holiday Inn T4, Jct 4 and reservations at the Hilton T4. The difference in total price is $332.00. (For a 2-night stay) Do you see any big reason why we should stay at the Hilton vs Holiday Inn?? We plan to do the roundtrip Hoppa to the airport if staying at the Holiday Inn.

The price of transportation to/fro central London for two can't compare to the difference in central London hotel prices and for the $322 difference, we could probably stay in central London?? :confused:

I have stayed at the Hilton Terminal 4 a few times but with a Priceline bid. Approx $50-$60. IMHO I would not pay the price on the hotel website or waste points.It is a nice hotel but all the 4 star hotels at LHR are nice hotels. Except the Sheraton Heathrow which has seen better days.

I have not stayed at the HI, T4/Jct 4 so cannot comment but have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which shows on LMT and it is fine.

Actually I don't have a problem with the Hotel Hoppa and just allow extra time.

I have stayed at the Hilton Terminal 4 a few times but with a Priceline bid. Approx $50-$60. IMHO I would not pay the price on the hotel website or waste points.It is a nice hotel but all the 4 star hotels at LHR are nice hotels. Except the Sheraton Heathrow which has seen better days.

I have not stayed at the HI, T4/Jct 4 so cannot comment but have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which shows on LMT and it is fine.

Actually I don't have a problem with the Hotel Hoppa and just allow extra time.

Thank you! Sometimes rates drop the closer you get to the date so I'll keep an eye out as we tend to only stay at Hiltons. Thank you! I'm glad someone doesn't have a problem with the Hoppa... we are patient people and have no problem waiting for an inexpensive ride to the airport and back.

Archived