Which port would you stay on ship

butterflyeffect

We are a minority here we love Belize. It is a beautiful country. We actually liked it so much we are looking at a land based vacation there. My daughter's best friend honeymooned there an they go back every year (going on 15 years now). We would skip Costa Maya or Cozumel. Not impressed with either of those. Roatan can be a free beach day. You do not have to spend a penny there if you don't want to. Will you miss seeing a beautiful place if you just stay in the man made beach area, yes, but you can swim and lounge on a beach for free, and you are so close to the ship, you can get on it to get a meal anytime you feel like it.

We cruise for the ports. We stay off the boat as much as we can while in port. We love seeing new culture, meet locals, hike and see out of way places. We try to avoid ziplines, shopping, atvs, beaches and any chain establishment like Carlos & Charlies/Margaritaville/Senor Frogs/Fat Tuesday etc..

Costa Maya: never been there.

Belize: one of are all time favorite ports, folks are sooo nice, town is different than most others, not fake cleaned up touristy. Great culture, a bit run-down but vibrant fun city. We will return!!!

Roatan: How lush, friendly folks, just gorgeous.

Cozumel: My choice for the worst. We have been there twice, both times we wandered the wild non populated side of the island. The main area where the ships go...fake, touristy and run by chains like Senor Frogs.

If I had to pick one...Cozumel for sure!!!!! Skip it...so touristy and fake. Feels like it could be any tourist port. Culture non existent.

Coats Maya is fantastic... But you have to get out of the fantasy land cruise port... Take a cab to majuahual... One of the best stops in the world....

Definitely agree.

If you don't have a solid shore excursion planned, I'd stay on in Belize. But I'd rather go cave tubing in Belize than drink and shop in Cozumel.

I would choose to stay on the ship in this order:

Belize - not much to do unless you book an excursion, plus long tender

Costa Maya - Nice, but very short stop there so not much time to do anything significant.

Cozumel - I love Cozumel but it's a very common stop so if you miss it, there's always next time..

Roatan - DO NOT stay on the ship in Roatan! My favourite port of all I've been to. Most beautiful place ever!

Another vote for Belize. I was there a few years ago and had booked a snorkle excursion, but it was canceled due to rough seas. I decided to get off the ship anyway, and when the tender was half way between ship and shore, the storm/waves got CRAZY! All of the passengers were quiet, but the crew were all frantic and yelling to each other. We took on a bunch of water and started bailing.

Once on shore I booked a horse led tour of Belize City. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! The only plus for me in Belize was that I found some great deals on souvenirs and didn't have to deal with the pushy salespeople in Cozumel.

Whatever you choose to do though, you'll have fun. I took a video of the tender ride after things got crazy and that's even funny to watch...now :)

I guess we are in the minority also - we enjoyed Belize.

Had lunch at the Wet Lizard there in the port - GREAT food! We enjoyed the tender ride. Guess we just odd. lol We are taking the same cruise in early 2014 - planning on this excursion in Belize:

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/current_category.15/Product.156/tours_add.html?t_product=156

Either way it's better than being at home! lol Have fun!

I would choose to stay on the ship in this order:

Belize - not much to do unless you book an excursion, plus long tender

Costa Maya - Nice, but very short stop there so not much time to do anything significant.

Cozumel - I love Cozumel but it's a very common stop so if you miss it, there's always next time..

Roatan - DO NOT stay on the ship in Roatan! My favourite port of all I've been to. Most beautiful place ever!

I would agree with all of this 100%!

Without a doubt, Belize. The tender takes *forever* and then, if you don't have a good tour booked (and be sure you have one that is highly recommended by several people...check TripAdvisor), there really isn't much safe to do on the island.

:DWe love all of these ports...

Cozumel: Nachi Cocum

Roatan: Beach day, tour day with Victor.... Mayan Key.... so much is wonderful here it is difficult to choose.

Costa Maya: Get outside the port.... there are several wonderful places to go. Maya Chan is good!

Belize....:DWe have enjoyed Belize many different ways... land, sea, etc. yes, it is a pain to tender in. Yes, Belize City has lots of poverty. The people are lovely, proud, educated, and will do what they can to make sure you enjoy their country. Get outside of Belize City... take a snorkel tour, go cave tubing.... lots to do.

Best advice... don't take Carnival excursions.

Why would you want to stay on the ship at ANY port? So much to do and explore...

Many experienced cruisers stay on the ship while visitng Nassau. Unless the ship is staying overnight and you have the sufficient funds to go visit Atlantis, stay on board and enjoy the amenities of your ship.

I agree with others that Belize is the "hardest" port of call because of the 5 mile tender, and because you NEED to book an excursion. However it's a very unique and beautiful country, with attractions that you can't find anywhere. I would DEFINITELY get off the ship in Belize!

Suprisingly for many, my vote would be for COZUMEL. 3 reasons:

• Cozumel is visited on almost every Western Caribbean cruise. So chances are that if the OP misses it this time, it will be in a future itinerary.
  • Cozumel is a "cookie cutter" port. Unless you take a 45 minute ferry to the mainland to visit the Mayan Ruins of Tulum, Cozumel's attractions can be found at pretty much any port in the Caribbean. Beaches, same ol' shops, and same ol' chain bars and restaurants. I can visit McDonald's and Starbucks in my hometown.
  • Cozumel can get VERY crowded. Most times, there are several ships visiting on the same day, which translates into thousands and thousands of cruise passengers. Looking at Cozumel's itinerary for next month, there are days with over 23,000 cruise passengers! :eek:

As usual Tapi has nailed it again with a great informative post. Belize is a great port and cave tubing is a not to be missed tour that is unique to the area. Cozumel is nice and if you wish to visit an all inclusive, Nachi Cocum or Mr Sanchos are two that come highly rated, but as Tapi said, it is a very busy cruise port and many different ships stop there.

As usual Tapi has nailed it again with a great informative post. Belize is a great port and cave tubing is a not to be missed tour that is unique to the area. Cozumel is nice and if you wish to visit an all inclusive, Nachi Cocum or Mr Sanchos are two that come highly rated, but as Tapi said, it is a very busy cruise port and many different ships stop there.

Progresso and Costa Maya aren't worth getting off the boat. Nassau close behind. Then Belize if you've already done cave tubing once

I have been to these ports all before, and liked them all, and loved some of them. It is hard for me to say this, but if I had to pick one; it would be Belize. As another person said, the tender ride is long, and I have done one tour there. It was a nice tour, and Im glad I did it and was there, but if I had to pick one to stay on board this would be it, Belize. Sorry, hard for me to say this though, as I am not really into staying on board in port, when I can be exploring a foreign land.

I would stay on in Belize unless doing an excursion--not much to town. Cozumel--after first two times I stay on the ship--good for trinkets in town to say you were there but dirty. Costa Maya same as the above ports. Come to think of it none of these other than Honduras (Roatan) is a port I get off on. But I guess if you had never gone to them you should at least get off and form your own opinion.

I wouldn't want to stay on the ship in any of those ports....but if I had to pick one, I'd have to say that I'd stay on in Cozumel--for some of the reasons listed, such as it's on so many itineraries that you could easily get off there on another cruise, and the fact that it is so cookie cutter-ish.

Archived