Rotterdam vs Amsterdam

Sidney24

Interested on comparisons from those who have been on both

ships in past couple years.

I was on the Amsterdam as recently as this past September, for a 2-week cruise. The ship was as lovely and gracious as ever. The crew as hard-working, yet cheerful. Food was good (not great, but good). The atmosphere was refined.

I went to the shows, and most of them were good enough. There was only one guest entertainer who was awful.

I have not been on the Rotterdam since she was chopped up and changed (I have sailed that ship well over 100 days). From the similar changes made to the Veendam, which I did sail post-changes, I would not care to return to the Rotterdam.

That lovely atmosphere must be long-gone. :(

If I had a choice between the two ships, I would choose the Amsterdam without hesitation.

The Rotterdam has the original "Retreat" re-do. Just knowing that, I would most definitely do the Amsterdam. Unless the Rotterdam itinerary is preferred.

We were on the Veendam (with the "Retreat") to Bermuda. I loved the ship but I do prefer the Sea View pool on the Maasdam.

They are both very good ships, but Amsterdam is the best out of Holland America Line.

But Rotterdam is my second choice.

There is huge gulf between these 2 and other ships.

(Can not say anything about Prinsendam - have not been on it).

So choose the itinerary.

But Amsterdam is the best for sure!

We were on the Rotterdam right after the big make over and I really liked the ship but hated the aft pool changes. We were also on the Amsterdam this summer for 2-weeks in Alaska and it was fantastic. For this reason alone I would take the Amsterdam if given the choice, but they are both beautiful ships.

Archived