Nespresso charges are back according to Azamara Facebook

uktog

Hello Nespresso Readers -

I admire your collective persistence and determination in expressing yourselves so freely about the Nespresso issue and its implications on Azamara as a going concern.

Frankly, after sharing with you our rationale for re-introducing the Nespresso program as an "addition" rather than as a "replacement" to our current collection of complimentary coffees in the Mosaic Cafe, I've been reluctant to respond to some of the excessively negative, repetitive and disrespectful comments that have been expressed about our leadership. I believe that my efforts to share a different perspective on the Nespresso issue would only grow the fire. Very often people who are overflowing with negative emotions can't stop or control them and just go on and on and on to achieve the proverbial "last word."

Nevertheless, I want to express what Larry Pimentel provided in the way of his frank and honest acknowledgment on this thread that his decision was "too hasty" in abandoning the Nespresso program is unheard of in the cruise industry and especially on Cruise Critic. Whether the community at-large agrees or disagrees with his viewpoint, I think they should at the very least appreciate and value the time and effort he continues to invest with the community.

It's the CEO's responsibility to generate and capture growth through innovation which translates into the responsibility to at least operate the Nespresso program and collect actual onboard guest participation and reactions in real-time before eliminating the option, especially in light that there might be other global markets that might be interested in purchasing Nespresso coffee. In my opinion, Larry's remark "to remove that component (Nespresso) for now" was made in "haste" and not as an expedient untruth. It seems the initial decision to abort the program was based on subjective comments about the "notion" of charging for coffee while simultaneously offering liquor at no charge rather than on actual guest participation and financial feedback from the program's operation.

It's been over two years that I've been serving as Azamara's Chief Blogging Officer (CBO) and I've been involved in the various customer issues with our shoreside operation that have occurred and accumulated since October 2010 and truly understand how your level of frustration can exceed its limits and sometimes burst at the seams. As I've said before, I believe that I can sense another dimension of your level of collective conflict to maintaining your loyalty to our brand and I feel that I've assimilated into your culture and realize most of you are expressing "tough-love."

I've shared with you the challenges that we face with integrating the "shared services" which we receive from the Royal Caribbean corporation and how we've been working through them. We realize we have much more to achieve, especially with respect to the UK website.

In actuality, and as "UKtog" mentioned, this frustrating Nespresso issue was created by inadequate Azamara internal communications among our website and Facebook provider; our marketing department and the CBO. Often there is a communication "lag" between one operating unit dealing with the centralized control point for website information. Unfortunately, we had to sort out our communication challenges in full view of the community forum. In fact, the three units are meeting now to develop policies and procedures to establish integration protocols along with a "flagging" system to point out topics that have a "history" on Cruise Critic threads.

Whether it makes "logical sense" to offer free liquor and to simultaneously change extra for Nespresso coffee will never be decided on this thread. I think it makes sense to refer to our conclusion from the October Q&A on Cruise Critic - we "will simply have to agree to disagree." The answer will be in what the "marketplace" has to say next year.

Again, I salute you on your dedication to our onboard experience and your time and effort to share your thoughts with on this Azamara Cruise Critic forum.

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I hope we all live to see a Bill Leiber cruise. I don't care where it goes; sign me up!

Or do you travel incognito, Bill?

Perhaps your traveling days have passed, and you are an armchair traveler now.

I salute you. You have helped make my upcoming Quest journey a treasured experience, before I've even left home.

Sincerely,

May

I hope we all live to see a Bill Leiber cruise. I don't care where it goes; sign me up!

Or do you travel incognito, Bill?

Perhaps your traveling days have passed, and you are an armchair traveler now.

I salute you. You have helped make my upcoming Quest journey a treasured experience, before I've even left home.

Sincerely,

May

Hello May B -

Thank you very much for you flattering comments!

As Chief Blogging Officer (CBO) and as an employee of Azamara, I consider myself to be an “objective ombudsman.” It’s the only way to ensure an ongoing, freely flowing two-way communication process on the Forum. When controversial issues arise about our policies, procedures and/or business decisions, I make a conscious effort to remain objective or “neutral” about differing points of view. Simply, my intent is to hopefully increase each participant's certainty that their relevant comments have been heard by senior management so that we can deliver a totally satisfying vacation experience as the outcome of their purchase decision.

It's not likely there will be a Bill Leiber cruise. I guess you could categorize me as a "reluctant" arm chair traveler as a result of my being a very fortunate survivor from a successful liver transplant in January 2004 but my immune system is much suppressed from the immunosuppressant drugs that I’ve been taking every day to prevent liver rejection. The last time I flew was in 2008 and I ended up with pneumonia and a bout of liver rejection. So I’ve been playing it safe and staying close to home.

My wife and I are eager to enjoy ourselves and cruise on Azamara perhaps in 2014 when the Azamara Quest will be offering voyages from Los Angeles. That way I can drive from my home in northern California to Los Angeles.

I still am not immune to the promise of an Azamara cruise!

Again, thank you for your kind comments.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

In fact, the three units are meeting now to develop policies and procedures to establish integration protocols along with a "flagging" system to point out topics that have a "history" on Cruise Critic threads

Bill

Thanks for your post well written as ever. The most important thing as I see it is something good has come out of this turbulent time. These protocols were what I was asking the CEO about in the Q and A in October - the making sure communication across the various delivery channels was the result of joined up thinking. At the time, my question was not answered which disappointed, but i now realise maybe that was because as you say, there was a realisation that to answer it meant displaying communication gaps in public when Azamara needed to work them through in private.

I hope in these protocols, there is a requirement for some of the communicators to think seriously about how the customers might perceive issues and for them to have permission and feel able to challenge the plans of others as required, even if that other is a member of the leadership bench.

Well done though, I see that good has come out of this issue and hopefully we can all move on

On a personal note though, having never seen a nespresso machine I investigated during Christmas shopping and having enjoyed the coffee I have made an addition to my Christmas list ( but I'm not yet ready to be hooked on the product 365 days a year so will give it a rest on holiday!)

Hi Bill and other fellow Azamara guests..

I have been lurking for sometime on this specific thread and watching what happens when fellow passengers really show passion over a every detail that Azamara is working on. Who would believe that we have lived this Nespresso thing for so long...It just shows how much we care about this product.

It is unbelievable that a cruise line that has been so approachable such as Azamara and especially its Pres/CEO Mr Pimentel who really gets disrespected for being so upfront and speaks his mind that we all forget the BIG picture.

I have not seen this much interaction between a cruise company and its passengers on any of these boards as I have seen with you Bill and with Mr Pimentel.

Thank you both for at least being there and helping us with your frankness and being so straightforward.

Your passion shows even more that ours at times and what I see happening at Azamara is quite admirable so Congratulations as I consider you all the "Class Acts" in this Cruise Industry.

Keep upgrading and thinking out of the box.

Well done..

:D

B

Bill, you are a class act. I really like the way you presented your case, you don't shilly shally, (is that how the Brit's say it) about the issue. You call out the naysayers while admitting frankly that administrative and internal problems exist and are being worked on. I also want to express my distaste for the unpleasant language used by some members to describe Larry's hasty announcement and then withdrawal of that announcment. That's life, get over it. It's been explained and if you don't like it, ok, move on but don't try to poison the air for others. We've enjoyed 4 wonderful cruises on Azamara and looking forward to 2 more, without a qualm, Nespresso or no Nespresso.

We've found a quality line and plan to show our appreciation by remaining loyal. Mary Lou

Forgive me for throwing this thread a lifeline, however there was speculation that perhaps George Clooney might be serving Nespresso in the Mosaic Cafe.

Imagine my surprise that, in the middle of a Champions League football match, an ad for Nespresso showed the incomparable Penelope Cruz sharing said product with a handsome gentleman (not Javier).

If that's going to be happening on our next cruise, call me a sucker but all of my principles concerning paying will be immediately discarded.

Hi Phzazzcruisers,

I couldnt agree more. I was on a Cruise (Celebrity Eclipse) for 2 weeks, and I truly cant believe some of the insanity going on here - over coffee no less !!!. I realize that some folks are ticked off over the recent changes, but such a brew-ha-ha (sorry, I couldnt resist) is completely making a mountain out of a molehill.

A few members are being way beyond reasonable (I have a few other choice words - but that's the nicest comment I could come up with), and spinning this out of control. I've seen other Cruise lines change direction within a day or 2 of making a major announcement. Does this make management "Liars" ? Absolutely not - though it might be wise to think things through bit more, before making final decisions. At my company, we thing things through upwards, downwards and sideways before we "push the button" on new products and sales/marketing concepts. We rarely get burned due to our intense thought process.

The bottom line is, companies make changes all the time - nothing new to see in that respect. As long as Mosaic continues to offer complementary Coffee, all is fine in my book. The coffee is excellent at Mosaic. So are the cookies, pastries and sandwiches in the afternoon/evening.

If you dont wish to pay the Nespresso ? The solution is simple, don't buy it. I realize that it's an interesting talking point, but IMO, that's all it is.

Dear Host Andy

I think its about time that this thread was ground down. I am a coffee snob, I brew and roast my own. So this whole gansa magila over Nespresso is "interesting". It is ground coffee in a sealed pod. it was roasted many many months before it hits Azamara's inventory. ground coffee no matter sealed or not loses alot of flavor the longer it sits. To drink truly fresh roasted coffee and get all of its flavors and nuances you need to make it in as hot as water as possible within 1 week of roasting the formerly green bean or green bean blend that made up the roasting batch. That is truly upscale coffee. Whether or not you deem "podded coffee" bespoke or not or want to pay for it is your issue and your belief in the marketing of the product. For those of you "frothing" over the coffee issue "latte" tell you if you do not want to bring your own ground coffee and a travel coffee press with you, adding the starbucks via packets(that you pay for by the way) to the free coffee onboard will enhance your coffee experience

I think I "bespoke" long enough on this issue

Happy Holidays to All

Dear Host Andy

I think its about time that this thread was ground down. I am a coffee snob, I brew and roast my own. So this whole gansa magila over Nespresso is "interesting". It is ground coffee in a sealed pod. it was roasted many many months before it hits Azamara's inventory. ground coffee no matter sealed or not loses alot of flavor the longer it sits. To drink truly fresh roasted coffee and get all of its flavors and nuances you need to make it in as hot as water as possible within 1 week of roasting the formerly green bean or green bean blend that made up the roasting batch. That is truly upscale coffee. Whether or not you deem "podded coffee" bespoke or not or want to pay for it is your issue and your belief in the marketing of the product. For those of you "frothing" over the coffee issue "latte" tell you if you do not want to bring your own ground coffee and a travel coffee press with you, adding the starbucks via packets(that you pay for by the way) to the free coffee onboard will enhance your coffee experience

I think I "bespoke" long enough on this issue

Happy Holidays to All

WELL BE-SPOKEN SFL!!!!!

And so the pod it was hung, on the tree with despair,

In hopes that St. Andy soon would look there,

FAST>>>>

To dispose of this thread that most certainly has breathed it's last!

Merry Everything to all ... and to all a great night!

Archived