Insurance

workstocruise

Medicare does not cover you out of country. Just a reminder to everyone as there are many out there who do not know this..

GH

Thanks for the insightful info. I have been in a situation where wife and I have excellent medical coverage which actually covers out of country. Unfortunately, Saturday I go on Medicare...You gave me some food for thought.

The cost of a medigap that covers medical expenses outside the US is only a few dollars more than others that don't cover those expenses.

Since we will be most likely going to Alaska this summer, I am sure that Medicare would be covered there? Someone mentioned that if a medical emergency happened while sailing in certain waters near Alaska Medicare would not be good if hospitalization is needed.

I have always taken the max insurance, but going to Alaska? I know insurance for transportation home and medical on the ship is a must.

medicare will not cover medical expenses in Canada. If you are on a medicare Advatage Plan, you have to check that specific plan. If you have medigap insurance, it depends on which standard policy you have.

Irrespective of the cruise, you (and everyone) should understand how they are insured and not just assume.

Obviously Medicare will cover you in Alaska and Hawaii...they are part of the US. I honestly don't know about Puerto Rico and similar islands that aren't part of the US states, but they are related to the US.

We paid $228 directly to Celebrity and never got anything in writing. We leave Saturday and when I called Celebrity on Monday they told me to call Berkeley. Called Berkeley and was told me they would E-mail me a list of the coverages. I received that but I have nothing with our names on it. There was no travel agent involved. I think it stinks.

Grammyandpoppy: I think you will find proof that you purchased the Berkly Care on your invoice.

Once, I downloaded the entire policy from Berkley.....all 25 pages! Insurance policies are hard to understand, with all the technical language. Especially the Pre Existing Condition section.

Grammyandpoppy: I think you will find proof that you purchased the Berkly Care on your invoice.

Once, I downloaded the entire policy from Berkley.....all 25 pages! Insurance policies are hard to understand, with all the technical language. Especially the Pre Existing Condition section.

I kind of disagree....the pre-existing condition clause is usually very specific and clear....if you have not had any change to your condition that caused you to visit the doctor or change medication in the past x months, you do not have a pre-existing condition as it applies to this policy.

If you are confused, it is likely because you think you have a pre-existing condition and therefore what you are reading doesn't seem to make sense because it says you don't.

I visit my doctor once a year and I have several pre-existing conditions that I take medication for. There has been no change in the conditions and I have not changed medication. I do not have a pre-existing condition according to any travel insurance policy I have seen.

We bought Travelguard last year, as sold by our online cruise and tour operator (which was an airline's vacation division.)

Sure glad we did...DH's 100 year old mother died less than a week before our sailing date. We received a full refund in a short time - including what we paid for the insurance itself. I think the only charge was something little like $10 or $25 which was an agency fee for any booking.

The whole process was professional and painless, and we are using Travelguard again for our March cruise. They've been around forever.

I kind of disagree....the pre-existing condition clause is usually very specific and clear....if you have not had any change to your condition that caused you to visit the doctor or change medication in the past x months, you do not have a pre-existing condition as it applies to this policy.

If you are confused, it is likely because you think you have a pre-existing condition and therefore what you are reading doesn't seem to make sense because it says you don't.

I visit my doctor once a year and I have several pre-existing conditions that I take medication for. There has been no change in the conditions and I have not changed medication. I do not have a pre-existing condition according to any travel insurance policy I have seen.

Did you purchase travel insurance right when you made your initial deposit on the cruise? Some policies have a pre existing waiver if this is the case.

Also: I recall reading that these pre conditions will also relate to family members? (not on the trip).

I now always purchase the insurance the same day I put my down payment. Lately, I have been a last minute booking where full payment is due.

I am more concerned about insurance for health reasons while on the cruise. It can become very costly if hospitalization is required, especially if in a foreign country. They want cash on the spot. A primary payment insurance company is important to me.

Thanks everyone for your help. I did call insuremytrip.com and got a quote from them. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to choosing my own but the cost for two for a 14 day trip to Scandinavia was approx $468. Does that sound reasonable?

Just purchased for our 19 Day leaving in Oct. $368

I have to read the policies carefully since I am still in the military and could be denied leave or mobilized. This one also has cancel for work clause which is nice:)

Did you purchase travel insurance right when you made your initial deposit on the cruise? Some policies have a pre existing waiver if this is the case.

Also: I recall reading that these pre conditions will also relate to family members? (not on the trip).

I now always purchase the insurance the same day I put my down payment. Lately, I have been a last minute booking where full payment is due.

I am more concerned about insurance for health reasons while on the cruise. It can become very costly if hospitalization is required, especially if in a foreign country. They want cash on the spot. A primary payment insurance company is important to me.

I usually don't buy the insurance in the "grace period", I buy it when I make final payment. I stay abreast of my immediate family's known medical conditions (they understand why we need to know). On occasion I do buy the insurance at time of booking..depends on the medical situation with everyone. The risk buying at booking time is if you change or cancel the trip, you (usually) don't get the travel insurance money back....and our track record of actually taking every booked cruise is not great as our TA knows.

I don't focus on primary/secondary...many secondary policies will still pay the money up front (or guarantee payment) and then resolve who really owes it. Again, that's something that's in the fine print. We carry adequate credit, bank and credit cards to cover most any emergency situation.

You are absolutely right on!!! I had primary coverage on a Celebrity cruise with Travelex and purchased the policy on the day of reservation. The policy covered pre-existing conditions for 14 days after day of reservation. I had to be treated for an ear infection while on a long cruise and my blood pressure was very elevated (pre-existing condition). They gave me a higher level of medication and continued monitoring. Excellent medical treatment, but the bill was very expensive. Travelex paid the whole thing, after proper documentation, with no problem. The insurance was a blessing!!! Worth the initial investment up front.

You are absolutely right on!!! I had primary coverage on a Celebrity cruise with Travelex and purchased the policy on the day of reservation. The policy covered pre-existing conditions for 14 days after day of reservation. I had to be treated for an ear infection while on a long cruise and my blood pressure was very elevated (pre-existing condition). They gave me a higher level of medication and continued monitoring. Excellent medical treatment, but the bill was very expensive. Travelex paid the whole thing, after proper documentation, with no problem. The insurance was a blessing!!! Worth the initial investment up front.

You are missing my point....if your high blood pressure had existed for 10 years and you hadn't changed your medication in the 180 day period prior to buying the insurance, you would have had exactly the same coverage had you purchased the policy with final payment or even after. If you took the time to read your policy you would have found that you did not have a pre-existing condition....as defined in the policy.

Why is this so hard for folks to understand? I am not advocating when you should buy travel insurance....or even if you should buy travel insurance.....but if you are going to buy it, then learn what you are buying....be an intelligent buyer and don't drink the marketing Kool Aid and scare tactics.

Generally, you can get higher coverage levels on everything other than the cruise cancellation coverage for a lower amount by going to third party insurers. Your biggest dollar risks are items other than the basic cancellation coverage with medical and medical evacuation expenses potentially being the highest.

On the other hand, the "cancel for any reason" provision on the Celebrity policy has been appealing to us at times when we consider possible contingency's. This coverage gives you a 70% future cruise credit if you have to cancel for a reason not otherwise covered under the policy. We've booked the Celebrity insurance on some cruises where we felt there was potential for a non-covered event. Some third party insurers offer similar coverage but at a much higher cost.

Had a friend that had to cancel a holiday cruise last season at last mins. Used Celebrity's cancel for any reason and it was a very inexpensive way to get a future cruise credit for 70%. The cruise fare was $8,000.00.:eek: Without Celebrity's cruisecare he would have been really, really depressed... I agree, Celebrity's cancel for any reason is worth the very cheap price you pay for the coverage...;)

For us, the major reason for insurance is if something covered stops us from going on the trip after final payment or we get delayed getting on the ship. We have medical coverage through our medigap plan; transportation to a hospital will not be costly in the real world because there is no fee for emergency evacuation in most civilized countries, by international agreement (informal I think). e.g. the US coast guard does not charge for emergency evacuations.

However, we would not travel without MedJet Assist insurance because that trip home could be extremely expensive.

Note that some policies, like those from CSA, cover pre existing conditions even if you don't buy it until final payment (which is what we do).

Note that some policies, like those from CSA, cover pre existing conditions even if you don't buy it until final payment (which is what we do).

We have used CSA on some cruises. Here is their "pre-existing condition" definition....worth reading by anyone buying trip insurance. This is typical of most policies and shows why you have to read them.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means an illness, disease, or

other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to

your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion

or Family Member is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1. received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic

test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is

treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription

drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without

any adjustment or change in the required prescription

throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective

under this Policy.

Pay attention to that paragraph after item 2....if you are taking medication to control a condition and it hasn't changed, you do not have a pre-existing condition.

One observation on CSA policies...they don't cover trip interruption if someone at home needs you due to a serious illness or death at home. Some policies do. Again, it's in the fine print.

We have used CSA on some cruises. Here is their "pre-existing condition" definition....worth reading by anyone buying trip insurance. This is typical of most policies and shows why you have to read them.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means an illness, disease, or

other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to

your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion

or Family Member is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1. received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic

test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is

treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription

drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without

any adjustment or change in the required prescription

throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective

under this Policy.

Pay attention to that paragraph after item 2....if you are taking medication to control a condition and it hasn't changed, you do not have a pre-existing condition....e.g high blood pressure, atrial fibrilation (Coumadin), etc.

One observation on CSA policies...as I read it, they don't cover trip interruption if someone at home needs you due to a serious illness or death at home. Some policies do. Again, it's in the fine print.

The pre existing condition exclusions are what I am concerned with, not for ourselves, but family members. It may be impossible to know if they changed their meds, or had treatment. If the unthinkable happened and we (the primary insured) had to leave the ship or cancel, the insurance company possibly would not pay.

The policy for TG states: they would not pay for injury, sickness,, or other condition of insured travel companion, business partner or family member that occured within 180 days preceeding payment. This is the pre existing exclusion as I understand it.

Am I wrong?

The first question is whether the health of anyone not travelling with you matters at all. In the case of CSA, it doesn't, at least once the cruise/trip starts. Each policy is different, so don't assume anything until you read the policy you are thinking of buying or did buy.

Once you've established that your policy covers anything related to someone not travelling with you, then you have to read the pre-existing clause carefully.

I am most concerned about someone being hurt in a traffic or similar accident, not a health related problem. My family is pretty young and they don't have any pre-existing conditions yet. Obviously, pre-existing conditions don't apply to accidents.

Archived