Insurance

workstocruise

Complex question -- do you have existing conditions to worry about? Where are you cruising? Will their be flights involved or will you drive to the cruise? Let's start with those.

There is a whole forum devoted to this topic --

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Maybe spend some time perusing posts there and you can get a better idea what might be best for you.

For what it is worth, I think you are better to go outside of the cruise company. One of the things you want covered is a problem with the company (such as bankruptcy) and so an outside company will likely cover that for you while the cruise company itself won't or can't (how can they cover you of they are bankrupt?). We have always been very happy with CSA as you can buy the coverage before final payment and they will still cover pre-existing conditions.

short answer is if you are over 70 then the insurance offered by the cruise line may be significantly less expensive. Otherwise, it's likely that going to a site like squaremouth.com can turn up better policies, tuned to your personal needs.

Read my (and others) previous posts about pre-existing conditions because what you consider a pre-existing condition and what the insurance company considers a pre-existing condition are likely very different (this is one case where the insurance company is easier on you than you are on yourself.)

That depends how many OTHER expenses you have that are not booked though Celebrity, and how much risk you want to take. Example if your air is booked thru X, then it will be covered under their policy. If not, if you booked on your own, you may want to look at other insurance. Unless you have low or no airline cancel/change fees. Ditto. If you have hotel expenses, side trips, prepaid excursions.

I liked the X insurance, so even though we had some hotel expenses that oud not be covered, we decided to go with their insurance

But whatever you do. Get It. I learnt the hard way when a light id not take off and the next port was 4 days away...

That depends how many OTHER expenses you have that are not booked though Celebrity, and how much risk you want to take. Example if your air is booked thru X, then it will be covered under their policy. If not, if you booked on your own, you may want to look at other insurance. Unless you have low or no airline cancel/change fees. Ditto. If you have hotel expenses, side trips, prepaid excursions.

I liked the X insurance, so even though we had some hotel expenses that oud not be covered, we decided to go with their insurance

But whatever you do. Get It. I learnt the hard way when a light id not take off and the next port was 4 days away...

You can add other expenses to the celebrity policy (or policies sold by travel agents)...just call them and they will modify it....or alternatively, just tell them the amount to add for other costs when you purchase it.

This is another mistake that many make when buying insurance.....they don't cover all their non refundable costs.

X insurance is thru Berkleycare. They are not self insured, as some would have you believe here.

There are some very good 3rd party carriers. I use a third party carrier, as they offer a much larger amount for Air Ambulance flights, and I don't want to be stuck in a third world country, if I had a major accident, or illness onboard.

I think that one must consider all options when looking for insurance.;)

Rick

I would visit the site http://www.insuremytrip.com

Take a look at policies and they have a nice way of comparing policies. You can then manually compare what you find to the one offered by Celebrity.

My experience is you can find policies on your own that provide better coverage at lower rates then the cruise line.

Keith

X insurance is thru Berkleycare. They are not self insured, as some would have you believe here.

There are some very good 3rd party carriers. I use a third party carrier, as they offer a much larger amount for Air Ambulance flights, and I don't want to be stuck in a third world country, if I had a major accident, or illness onboard.

I think that one must consider all options when looking for insurance.;)

Rick

If you are concerned about air ambulance, you have to carefully read the policy you are buying and decide if you should buy medJet Assist which is far better coverage and worth the extra cost. Check it out....or search here because I've written a few long posts on why everyone eligible should consider medjet assist. The key question is who has to agree to what before you are flown to a decent hospital.

The fact is that the insurance you are buying may sound good, but look at who has to agree before they evacuate you to the hospital of your choice. If it's the insurance company and some third world doctor who has to agree that they can't handle the situation then you have no insurance. Please read and then check out medjet assist.

There is a myth about the cost of evacuation from a ship. In most cases, there is no charge. That includes the US Coast Guard that does not charge for emergency assistance.

I see a can of worms about to explode.

But - in almost all cases, an outside vendor is better.

And, most people do not have a clue what is covered and what is not. And, keep in mind, in the long run, the insurance company takes in more money then they pay out. Simple business.

Generally, you can get higher coverage levels on everything other than the cruise cancellation coverage for a lower amount by going to third party insurers. Your biggest dollar risks are items other than the basic cancellation coverage with medical and medical evacuation expenses potentially being the highest.

On the other hand, the "cancel for any reason" provision on the Celebrity policy has been appealing to us at times when we consider possible contingency's. This coverage gives you a 70% future cruise credit if you have to cancel for a reason not otherwise covered under the policy. We've booked the Celebrity insurance on some cruises where we felt there was potential for a non-covered event. Some third party insurers offer similar coverage but at a much higher cost.

Generally, you can get higher coverage levels on everything other than the cruise cancellation coverage for a lower amount by going to third party insurers. Your biggest dollar risks are items other than the basic cancellation coverage with medical and medical evacuation expenses potentially being the highest.

On the other hand, the "cancel for any reason" provision on the Celebrity policy has been appealing to us at times when we consider possible contingency's. This coverage gives you a 70% future cruise credit if you have to cancel for a reason not otherwise covered under the policy. We've booked the Celebrity insurance on some cruises where we felt there was potential for a non-covered event. Some third party insurers offer similar coverage but at a much higher cost.

This changes when you reach age 70. I believe Celebrity insurance is independent of age and other policies raise their rates based on age.

I work with this type of insurance, among others. This is an impossible question to answer without knowing what coverage you're comparing it to. You need to look at the major types of payouts and compare the percentages that each will pay, the deadlines provided, etc. Those sorts of things are the only things that will tell you which coverage is best.

Is it better to buy insurance through Celebrity or an outside source?:confused:

We use our travel agent and she has done it both ways for us. Last cruise was just a 7 day Caribbean cruise and so we bought Celebrity's insurance. We are doing a Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale in November of 2013 and our travel agent got our insurance from an outside source. In any event, don't leave home without it. :)

We use our travel agent and she has done it both ways for us. Last cruise was just a 7 day Caribbean cruise and so we bought Celebrity's insurance. We are doing a Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale in November of 2013 and our travel agent got our insurance from an outside source. In any event, don't leave home without it. :)

Do you know what your policy covers and doesn't cover? Does your travel agent know what other insurance you already have? Or, are you just assuming your TA is buying the right insurance for you.....big mistake!!!

Of course, most will never know or care what the insurance covered, but when the need arises, you will care...a great deal.

Just for fun, go to squaremouth.com and check out travel insurance for your trip.....don't focus on the price (for now), but focus on the differences in the policies. Read a few policies to see if they will fly you HOME if you are in a foreign hospital and who has to approve the travel; check to see what happens if someone close in your immediate family becomes critically injured or dies...does the policy cover your interrupting your trip? What happens if the ship breaks down and they have to cancel the rest of the cruise? And while you're reading the policies (which are actually easy to read), read the section defining pre-existing condition....I'd bet that if you think you have one, the policy definition is such that from the policy standpoint, you don't.

If you do what I suggest, I think you'll start to understand why you have to select a policy and not just buy a policy from your TA or cruise line.

I would visit the site http://www.insuremytrip.com

Take a look at policies and they have a nice way of comparing policies. You can then manually compare what you find to the one offered by Celebrity.

My experience is you can find policies on your own that provide better coverage at lower rates then the cruise line.

Keith

I use them too. Recently we had to rebook our own air back to the US because UAL cancelled us d/t to Sandy and the rebooking they gave was way too late for a return for us. I put in a claim for the additional airfare and was given 100% reimbursement. The plan I chose was with American Express. :)

Yep, I'm smiling. Got the money yesterday. :)

Do you know what your policy covers and doesn't cover? Does your travel agent know what other insurance you already have? Or, are you just assuming your TA is buying the right insurance for you.....big mistake!!!

Of course, most will never know or care what the insurance covered, but when the need arises, you will care...a great deal.

Just for fun, go to squaremouth.com and check out travel insurance for your trip.....don't focus on the price (for now), but focus on the differences in the policies. Read a few policies to see if they will fly you HOME if you are in a foreign hospital and who has to approve the travel; check to see what happens if someone close in your immediate family becomes critically injured or dies...does the policy cover your interrupting your trip? What happens if the ship breaks down and they have to cancel the rest of the cruise? And while you're reading the policies (which are actually easy to read), read the section defining pre-existing condition....I'd bet that if you think you have one, the policy definition is such that from the policy standpoint, you don't.

If you do what I suggest, I think you'll start to understand why you have to select a policy and not just buy a policy from your TA or cruise line.

In part our policy gives us $50,000.00 in emergency care, $500,000.00 to transport us back to our home or hospital of choice in our city, it also provides us with an attendant to accompany us, hotels food etc. We also have trip interrupution, trip cancellation, lost or delayed luggage etc. I think our plan is pretty comprehensive. :)

In part our policy gives us...$500,000.00 to transport us back to our home or hospital of choice in our city..

Sorry. I do not mean to offend anyone. But, saying they will give out up to $500,000 in transport is rather silly. They could rent a 747 for that. Yes, it could cost a bunch in private transport - but maybe $20-30,000.

Just saying.

Again, it may well be a good policy.

Sorry. I do not mean to offend anyone. But, saying they will give out up to $500,000 in transport is rather silly. They could rent a 747 for that. Yes, it could cost a bunch in private transport - but maybe $20-30,000.

Just saying.

Again, it may well be a good policy.

You didn't offend anyone. You are right $500,000.00 is over the top. Let's hope we never have to find out if the policy is worth it. Lol...

In part our policy gives us $50,000.00 in emergency care, $500,000.00 to transport us back to our home or hospital of choice in our city, it also provides us with an attendant to accompany us, hotels food etc. We also have trip interrupution, trip cancellation, lost or delayed luggage etc. I think our plan is pretty comprehensive. :)

I don't know your specific policy, but the catch in most policies is that the doctor in the remote hospital and the insurance company have to agree that you can not be adequately treated at the remote hospital and/or that the move is medically necessary before you are actually flown home or wherever you want to go. There is a financial incentive to both the insurance company and the remote hospital to say no.

The policy I suggested is different....you make the request to be transported and the only thing the remote hospital doctor has to agree to is that you are stable enough to be transported...and the insurance takes care of arranging flights with the proper medical personel flying with you.

There is a VERY big difference in the two. Hopefully, you and I will never need to excercise this option, but many have fallen into the situation where they can't get agreement that transporting you is medically necessary.

Some medigap policies and medical policies for those not on medicare cover your medical costs out of the US so the $50K may be redundant coverage as it is for us.

Finally, you didn't comment on whether a child with a serious life threatening condition at home would be grounds for invoking "trip interruption". That's another area where many policies talk about your travel mate becoming ill/etc, but they don't cover your needing to get home because of some disaster with loved one's at home.

You may have a great policy that covers what you need.....I'm just raising flags to suggest that you really have to think about what is and isn't covered.

And, BTW, if the ship breaks down during the cruise and they shorten the cruise, is that covered as "trip interruption" in your policy. If it's not mentioned, it's considered "trip delay" with far lower policy limits.

Few pay attention to the details of travel insurance until they need it and then it's too late.

"Finally, you didn't comment on whether a child with a serious life threatening condition at home would be grounds for invoking "trip interruption". That's another area where many policies talk about your travel mate becoming ill/etc, but they don't cover your needing to get home because of some disaster with loved one's at home" GHStudio

A recent case mentioned in the travel press in the UK was of a student being refused payout from her insurers after cancelling a gap year trip after the death of her grandmother. The ground for denying the claim was that the student had not declared her grandmother's pre existing illness (of which it transpired she was not aware).

The legal experts were making the point that you had to declare any pre existing ailments of anyone "on whom your trip depended" or the policy could be void.

Another reason to ensure you set up yourown policy and do not rely on an agent.

Medicare does not cover you out of country. Just a reminder to everyone as there are many out there who do not know this..

GH

Thanks for the insightful info. I have been in a situation where wife and I have excellent medical coverage which actually covers out of country. Unfortunately, Saturday I go on Medicare...You gave me some food for thought.

Medicare does not cover you out of country. Just a reminder to everyone as there are many out there who do not know this..

GH

Thanks for the insightful info. I have been in a situation where wife and I have excellent medical coverage which actually covers out of country. Unfortunately, Saturday I go on Medicare...You gave me some food for thought.

Since we will be most likely going to Alaska this summer, I am sure that Medicare would be covered there? Someone mentioned that if a medical emergency happened while sailing in certain waters near Alaska Medicare would not be good if hospitalization is needed.

I have always taken the max insurance, but going to Alaska? I know insurance for transportation home and medical on the ship is a must.

We paid $228 directly to Celebrity and never got anything in writing. We leave Saturday and when I called Celebrity on Monday they told me to call Berkeley. Called Berkeley and was told me they would E-mail me a list of the coverages. I received that but I have nothing with our names on it. There was no travel agent involved. I think it stinks.

Archived