Volendam and Her Ten Day Cruises .......

sail7seas

It's funny how we have not cruised Volendam for a number of years although we think her a beautiful ship.

Now we find we have two cruises book on VODM and are very happy about it.

We booked for January a while ago and today booked to go in October for her other itinerary.

We did the Seafarer/Wayfarer itineraries for years. Then we started doing many seven day b-to-b's.

Now we're back to ten dayers. Seeing as we add a few days both pre and post cruise, we end up with a wonderful two weeks.

We like both of VODM's itineraries. The Curacao/Aruba/Dominica/HMC is good and so is the St. Maarten/St. Thomas/Barbados/HMC. IMO

Anyone else here leaving the seven day cruises and reverting to the ten dayers? Any special reason you are doing that?

Well I for one am getting very bored with the Itins. on the 7 day cruises. Like you, we always did B to Bs, but now we are definitely looking at the 10 days or longer cruises...........jean :cool:

Sail7Seas, are you booked for October 2005 on the Volendam? If so, which dates? We are booked for the October 26th cruise which includes Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados and HMC. This will be the first cruise for our DS and D-I-L and we're hoping it is perfect, or nearly so. We sailed on the Volendam in 2000 and loved the ship.

We prefer cruises of 10 days or more. Seems that 7 days go by so quickly that you just begin to relax and enjoy, and the cruise ends. Also, with the cost of travel to the ports and all the planning and packing involved, it just seems a more sensible way to cruise.

I've only done a few 7-day cruises. I really loved the Volendam's 10-day southern Itineraries, and would love to do one back-to-back ... it sounds like a very nice way to spend 20 days. :) However, I also like cruising in Europe and on the West Coast. If HAL keeps offering the alternating Eastern/Western 10-Day Med cruises operating out of Rome, I may just schedule such as a b2b cruise. Sounds like a lovely way to sample the Med -- one of the few places in Europe I've not done a lot of cruising (just land-based vacations).

Sail7Seas, are you booked for October 2005 on the Volendam? If so, which dates? We are booked for the October 26th cruise which includes Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados and HMC. This will be the first cruise for our DS and D-I-L and we're hoping it is perfect, or nearly so. We sailed on the Volendam in 2000 and loved the ship.

That's the cruise we just booked....October 26. We've been to all those islands many, many times and always enjoy St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Barbados and, of course, HMC. It's a nice cruise IMO You picked a great ship/cruise for your DS and D-I-L. Hope we get to meet.

The other Volendam itinerary is nice, too. So, we get to do them both! :)

Well I for one am getting very bored with the Itins. on the 7 day cruises. Like you, we always did B to Bs, but now we are definitely looking at the 10 days or longer cruises...........jean :cool:

Jean....good to see you posting. Unless I have missed them, I haven't noticed many posts from you before yesterday for quite some time. Hope all is well with you.

We most likely will do more b-to-b's from time to time but I think it's time to go back to 10 dayers when cruising the Caribbean. We always did ten day (or more) cruises and then started with the b-to-b's. We're thinking we may be happier back with the ten dayers. DH is not retired so we cannot be away more than about 16 days and we always do a pre and post cruise. I won't fly in or home on embark/disembarkation day.

At the moment, we are very much looking forward to our b-to-b's for June on Maasdam doing Canada/New England.

We were so fortunate that HAL offered both of those itineraries on the Volendam this year - we did them in Feb/Mar - and loved the 20 days sailing.

In looking over HAL's 2006 planner, we don't see any ship having 2 different 10 day cruises like that.

It appears that HAL is moving towards more 7 day cruises.

We were so fortunate that HAL offered both of those itineraries on the Volendam this year - we did them in Feb/Mar - and loved the 20 days sailing.

In looking over HAL's 2006 planner, we don't see any ship having 2 different 10 day cruises like that.

It appears that HAL is moving towards more 7 day cruises.

KK.....

You, like us, have cruised the Caribbean so much that if we wanted to be aboard for 20 consecutive days and it was a repeat itinerary, we'd simply repeat it. Even with an alternating itinerary, we've been to all the islands so many times there is little new there for us. At this point, our destination is the ship and if it happens to stop someplace we like, we get off. If we don't like the port, we stay aboard.

If DH were retired, we'd do a repeat ten day b-to-b if that is all they offered. I think we're happier with ten dayers than seven dayers the way things are now.

I agree there are fewer rather than more ten day itineraries than HAL offered when they had far fewer ships. I suppose they must make higher profits on the seven vs ten day cruises??? Every explanation for everything they do these days comes back to how much they make on it.

Sail7Seas

I thought you were going on Heather's Zuiderdam cruise? What happened?:confused:

No....we never booked it.

We did consider it but decided against it. We don't really want to do a seven day Caribbean cruise for a while.....Not to say we won't again, but not right now.

We are aiming at 10 day cruises whenever possible since seven days is just not enough. This past winter we did a 10 day over Christmas and a 7 day in March. No Contest! The 10 days was so much superior. It seems on 7 days just about when you get into the rhythm of cruising and get really unwound -- whoops, sorry, must pack and go back home! The longer the better in my mind. But....DH just decided to wait another year to retire so our 20 day Antarctica will now have to wait until 06. (Will have to call the TA this week)

I am doing the 10 day Volendam with friends in October (Aruba, Curacao and Dominica) -- and now we are looking at the only two HAL Christmas 10 days that fit the teaching schedule. Hope we can afford them as seven days is nice but 10 days are so much better!

We have only cruised on 7 day sailings. Next year we are hoping to book a 10 day cruise on either Holland or Celebrity. It's great to hear about the Volendam since that is the Holland ship we have considered. The Maasdam also catched our eye since it sails out of the northern ports. Living in Ohio, it is a long trip to Fla; however, we usually combine it with a trip to moms. Thanks for all the input which helps us make our decisions. You guys are great.

We did 7 day cruises for some time, then tried a 10 day cruise. It was heaven. We have never gone back to the 7 days.

Sail7Seas

I guess I misunderstood and jumped to conclusions since I based my question on the poll that Heather took and it looked like you were part of that group. I have to agree a 10 day cruise is much better. :)

We took out first cruise this past Jan. but have traveled a lot. There is only one airline that flies into our city which make flying very spendy so we try to be gone for as long as possible when we go places. Next Feb. we've got an 8 day RCI cruise planned then a two day layover in Ft. Lauderdale followed by a 10 day HAL cruise (on the Volendam). Not exactly B to B but similar and we only have to pay for airfare once. When DH retires, we hope to be able to be gone for even longer periods of time.

I think while we are aboard the Maasdam in July we will be booking our first ever 10 day cruise. We are planning to do the 10 day Zaandam out of San Diego in November 2006. The itinerary looks great and the days look to work just right for me to take time from work. We have wanted to take a longer than 7 days cruise but it is so hard for me to take the time off work. With this cruise leaving on a Thursday and being gone over Thanksgiving it works out where I am missing the least amount of days from work. Plus San Diego is a very quick plane ride from Las Vegas. Our TA actually encouraged us to book it while on the cruise along with the Veendam we plan to book for March 2006 so we may get additional ship board credit. She says she doe not think they will have the promos this year like they had in the past for additional ship board credit.

Let's see I think HAL will be collecting a whole lot of money from us in the month of July. Deposit for one 7 day cruise for 2 and deposit for one ten day cruise for 2 then the week we leave I need to make my final payment on our October Oosterdam cruise. Then the money we spend on the cruise.:eek: OUCH!! that is goning to hurt:eek: What we don't do for this addiction to cruising.:D

Sail7Seas

I thought you were going on Heather's Zuiderdam cruise? What happened?:confused:

Heather "has a Zuiderdam" cruise? This is a new one on me... there is the HAL-O-Ween "group" cruise on the Westerdam in October 2006 which Heather is participating in.... is that what you are referring to?

S7S - We have preferred 10-day cruises for quite awhile as well. Seven day cruises are just too short and we often don't care for some of the itineraries. Our last 7-dayer was on the Zuiderdam and not only did it attract many first time cruisers - it was completely packed with over 400 kids/teens - not our favorite type of cruise.

...Let's see I think HAL will be collecting a whole lot of money from us in the month of July. Deposit for one 7 day cruise for 2 and deposit for one ten day cruise for 2 then the week we leave I need to make my final payment on our October Oosterdam cruise. Then the money we spend on the cruise.:eek: OUCH!! that is goning to hurt:eek: What we don't do for this addiction to cruising.:D

...plus that lovely mattress! :p

Sail7Seas, I would like to meet you too. Glad to hear you will be on the Oct. 26 cruise. I started a roll call some time ago, but have had no response. Looks like the six of us will have the ship to ourselves.

We. also, have done this itinerary before, but it's the one that best fit DS and D-I-L's work schedule and college kids vacation/sports schedule. Also, I thought it would offer the most for first time cruiser shore excursion choices. A nice cross-section of cultures and terrain. We really liked Curacao and Bonaire also, would love to go back there again some day, and San Juan, and Grenada, and......What's not to like when you are cruising in the Caribbean?

Sandy Beach, Where in Ohio are you located? We have a choice of airports, but all are at least an hour away and several require a short hop on a smaller plane before we can really go anywhere. Makes for a long day travelling, or some sprints through airports to make connections.

S7S, yes I have been missing for a while, we were in Mexico for 8 days then the day after we got back I started 2 weeks of jury duty.....UGH!!

AKATHY, I know what you mean about the Minot airport, our son was stationed there for 2 years and NWA was the only planes we could fly up there on. Definitely pricy when there is no competition!.........jean :cool:

We think 10-12 days is about the right length of time. We've done Mex Riviera, s. Carib and doing that again over Thanksgiving on Vol. This gives us some new ports anda few repeats. 7 days seems very redundant no matter the line or ship. I just wish the lines would add some newports and dump boring ones like Campo de nothing in the DR or St. Vincent. If there were really interesting 10 day /10 day w/o more than STT or STM as a repeat I might book it. Not really into long flights (expensive) to get to the ship but rather spend the money on upgrade cabin. We always book veranda type or mini suite. Love the Caribbean and this is next best to moving there.:cool:

Before anyone else gets bent out of shape, I MADE A MISTAKE. OK ? I got the year wrong and the ship wrong as someone pointed out. I don't see why it is a big deal. The post was to Sail7Seas, and she understood.

Oddball......

Don't give it a thought. I knew what you meant.

The fact of the matter is I wasn't paying close attention and failed to note that even though we had not booked 'Heather's Cruise', the Westerdam cruise is October 2006 and the Volendam cruise I am talking about here is October 2005.

We will be sailing Volendam in October 2005 and will return in January 2006. Can't wait. :)

The2ofus, We live between Akron and Canton. My mom lives in Fla so we always drive to the cruiseport and combine it with a stay with mom for a week. I do not enjoy flying and this works for us. I wish more Holland and Celebrity ships sailed from northern ports. I'm sure soon we will try one of the NY, Baltimore, Norfolk or Phil departures. It will be nice to not have to drive so far. Good luck with your scheduling for air departures.

Archived