Early arrival at the San Francisco pier?

shepp

OK, I live in San Francisco, so should know this, but...

A friend has offered to drop us at the pier at 10:15 in the morning for a 4:00 sailing. Should we be able to get inside the terminal that early, or will we have to wait out on the Embarcadero till 11ish? (We're Platinum, if that makes any difference.)

If there will be more than one ship at the pier, you may find things VERY hectic. In that case, it may be better to arrive a little later, particularly if Princess does staggered boarding.

We had staggered boarding in March, and the crowds were huge and it felt like mass confusion. Though, being Platinum or elite does help you get in quicker.

If there will be more than one ship at the pier, you may find things VERY hectic. In that case, it may be better to arrive a little later, particularly if Princess does staggered boarding.

We had staggered boarding in March, and the crowds were huge and it felt like mass confusion. Though, being Platinum or elite does help you get in quicker.

No staggered boarding, and I've already boarded at SFO four times. Was just wondering how early I could actually get into the terminal. Looks like it's not going to rain, though, so not a big deal really.

Thanks.

Shepp - when I boarded Star Princess I did the BVE thing with my friend who took me to the pier and so we were able to get on board at about 11:00...we didn't have any trouble getting in the building but we did tell them we were BVE. Others were sent to the waiting area, but they were coming onto the pier with us. So I don't think you'll have to stand out on the sidewalk, but there will definitely be a wait to get on board.

So I don't think you'll have to stand out on the sidewalk, but there will definitely be a wait to get on board.

Sure...expected the wait. And since it's not going to be raining, even the sidewalk wouldn't be back, though the pleasure will be as naught compared to the many-faceted splendours of the interior of Pier 35.

Or is that 27?

Guess I'd better check....

We arrived at 11:15 because we had to check out of the hotel. It was a zoo.

Our taxi driver thought it was crazy too, but we were allowed to unload and go inside. I have disabled boarding, so we were in the first group to board, which was about 11:45 ish.

It was easy boarding, but after the first group, the elevators got crowded. We were asking ourselves if anyone checked luggage that day. :)

Pat

I walk by Pier 35 about 4 times a week and it is crazy from 10-2pm when a ship is disembarking/embarking. People are still waiting to leave the pier after noontime. If it is raining, alot of people may have the same idea as you. Better to come as late as possible.

Or is that 27?

Guess I'd better check....

Where have you been lately?? :) 27 is gone - being rebuilt for the America's Cup (and eventually the new cruise terminal). The steel framing is there and that's about it! :D

We arrived at 11:15 because we had to check out of the hotel. It was a zoo.

Our taxi driver thought it was crazy too, but we were allowed to unload and go inside. I have disabled boarding, so we were in the first group to board, which was about 11:45 ish.

It was easy boarding, but after the first group, the elevators got crowded. We were asking ourselves if anyone checked luggage that day. :)

Pat

My DW and I arrived at the pier at 6 AM so we could watch the Star arrive. After wasting some time and money we were on board and in our cabin at 12:00. It was the easiest embarkation we have had.

> You probably can board around noon.

> We sailed around trip Hawaii cruise on Princess from San Francisco in April. The Golden Gate was closed that weekend so we drove around and came into the city via the Bay Bridge. There were three cruise ships in port that weekend and the crush of passengers and ground transportation was insane.

> We parked the car at Ace and schlepped our luggage over to the terminal getting to the front around 10AM. We scored a porter who took our luggage for checkin but we couldn't go in until Noon. We walked down to Fisherman's Wharf and got some coffee and browsed the shops until just before noon when we returned to the Terminal.

> This was a 'staggered' check-in day and we weren't supposed to get in until 2:30 but we gave it a shot at noon. We breezed through check-in and then on to the waiting room. We were onboard and enjoying a drink in Sky Walkers by 12:30PM. Oh and our luggage showed up at our room before we sailed.

> Considering all of the tumult, our boarding went very well.

Where have you been lately?? :) 27 is gone - being rebuilt for the America's Cup (and eventually the new cruise terminal). The steel framing is there and that's about it! :D

Oh, I was making a little stupid joke. :eek:

Archived