Safety Drill on HAL - Place to Sit?

solocanadian

On our last two cruises (Nieuw Amsterdam, both), the crew was dismissed (not sure of the right term) before my husband and several other wheelchair users were able to go back inside.

Because there is a lip or ridge at the doors, DH and others had a very difficult time getting in.

Other passengers who were lingering in the area had to help people in wheelchairs get over the bump.

In one case there was a very frail woman pushing a woman in a manual wheelchair -- there was no way she could get her over the bump.

DH has a powerchair, but he still could not handle it.

I sail for the first time on HAL next week and I will not be able to stand during the drill. Celebrity was the first cruise where all passengers sat in the theater, we were directed into the theater via a door right by where our muster station was located...so we knew where to go in case of emergency.

I was pleased that RCCL now holds their drills indoors also, I cruised with my mother who uses a scooter and we were seated near the exit of the dining room during the drill and the staff gave us the heads up to head out to the elevator a few seconds early to avoid the massive crowds.

My Carnival cruise in October, the drill was held outside, my friend had cruised the same ship/itinerary a few weeks before me and she is normal weight and healthy yet the heat and crowded deck caused her to pass out during the drill. While I do not have medical needs that required documenting them on my reservation I cannot stand for that long period of time in the heat of S. FL, when I boarded Victory I went to Guest Services and told them this, they said just let the staff members at my station know and I would be directed to a special area, that is exactly what happened, very smooth, I went to the deck and as the staff was directly people I said I cannot stand, I need the special needs area and they directed me into the nearby lounge area.

Given HAL's typical older guest demographic I would think they would have similar accommodations for the safety drill...I will find out next week.

Given HAL's typical older guest demographic I would think they would have similar accommodations for the safety drill...I will find out next week.

As has been posted many times, HAL has arrangements in place for those who can't stand for long periods at the outdoor muster stations.

As has been posted many times, HAL has arrangements in place for those who can't stand for long periods at the outdoor muster stations.

I did try to read through all the other posts on this thread and all I kept seeing was they make people stand outside, or didn't provide alternatives locations... among the other inside/outside debate. Thank you for clearly stating that for me to see.

I did try to read through all the other posts on this thread and all I kept seeing was they make people stand outside, or didn't provide alternatives locations... among the other inside/outside debate. Thank you for clearly stating that for me to see.

Do a search of this thread for "atrium", or go to post #12 of the thread. Either approach should provide you with all the information you should need. Good luck. :)