Grandeur problems

buffi001

Has the Grandeur resolved the well documented problems with

a sewage smell? I, like many others who live near Baltimore, am hoping

that this was just a minor glitch that has been fixed, rather than a systematic

problem of an older ship. I look forward to sailing on a refurbished ship

that sails from B'more...but an overall malodorous centrum would certainly

put a damper on my enthusiam....

Anyone sailed on her since the poster who had the problems on his cruise?

The Grandeur has had these problems for years and the refurb didn't help. If you don't like sewage smell then maybe you should select another ship.

Have been on Grandeur several times. Some peope complained a lot in post cruise posts about smells in places we never noticed a thing. We had one cruise on GOS when there was a cabin toilet issue, that was solved sometime before we returned to our cabin after the show. A friend told be she always brings a room airfreshner with her...we have added 1 to our packing a few years ago. Makes the cabin smell fresh even when there is no issue to contend with.

Just off Grandeur on Monday from the 3 night repositioning cruise to Panama. I did not notice and issues with smell around the ship, including in the centrum. I also did not have any plumbing issues in my cabin. Hopefully that bodes well for future cruises.

Have also been on GOS out of Balt but the recent posts make me hesitant about booking again until I see some more positive reviews.

I just did the Transatlantic with arriving in Fort Lauderdale Nov 21st , the smell was horrible at times, did have one problem with toilet. Cruise was great BUT would not sail on the Grandeur again.. I would pick another ship .

I just did the Transatlantic with arriving in Fort Lauderdale Nov 21st , the smell was horrible at times, did have one problem with toilet. Cruise was great BUT would not sail on the Grandeur again.. I would pick another ship .

We always sail out of Baltimore but DH says he won't go on the Grandeur because of the issues that he's reading about. Bummer. :(

for every CC post that says it was the worst smell/cruise/experience ever, there is one that politely disagrees and says they had no issues.

why not make up your own minds? we have one booked for September 2013( booked on board EN) I have zero intention of canceling it( unless WW5 breaks out and DH ends up deployed) despite all the negative reviews lately.

yes I know its a lot of money. so take a chance and step down.. maybe just get a OV instead of a Balcony and go for a shorter cruise.

for every CC post that says it was the worst smell/cruise/experience ever, there is one that politely disagrees and says they had no issues.

Let me also add that if you search the forums, not the reviews, I'll bet you'll find complaints about "aerosolized fecal matter" for every ship!

We sailed the Med on the Grandeur in 2011 before the refurb and again after refurb in 2012. We were not aware of any plumbing problems on either cruise, no nasty smells anywhere and believe me my better half would have been amongst the first to notice:rolleyes: We loved the ship and wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again.

Been reading a lot about the Grandeur and reported sewage order problems with interest, as we will be on her in June 2013. The posts are all over the place. I checked the internet for the general title of "sewage order on ships" and found lots of references to other ships and lines - Carnavel, Disney, Princess with the same complaints

Some thoughts on the matter. Boats and ships have holding tanks for "black" water. That has been the law since the late 1970's / early 80's. Holding tanks have vents to avoid pressure build up when more effluent is added. Even on small boats - 30 ft and less, when effluent is added to a tank, you can detect a Sewage smell if the wind is blowing in your direction. Oder blockers are added on small craft to control the situation, but an oder is still detected never the less.

I think one thing we land folks need to realize is that when going to sea, things are different. We live "next" to the sewage plant, the electrical plant, the garbage plant, etc. Our neat home town is packaged in a container 1100 ft by 200 ft by 80 ft, and it has all the services for a population of 3000 - 8000 that on land would be spread over a few square miles. So you are going to experience life's fragrances in differing degrees, and at different times.

Do the ship lines and builders attempt to avoid these undesireable circumstances - I'm not sure why they would not want to. But you've got to vent somewhere - just as your home has sewage vents on your roof. If you get a down blast of air you are going to detect an oder.

Have I smelled the order of sewage on ships - absolutely. Is it constant - not usually. Has it been on different ships, yes.

I've been on Vision and Rhapsody (sister ships to Grandeur) and other ships and other lines and have not noticed "design" problems - maybe a bad "whiff" here and and a bad "whiff" there from time to time.

On a parting positive note, one of the best smells ever experienced aboard a ship (a Navy ship) is the oder of freshly baked bread while standing the 4 to 8 AM watch. Now that is an oder worth discussion.

So, be damned the oders, let's go cruising.

why not make up your own minds? we have one booked for September 2013( booked on board EN) I have zero intention of canceling it( unless WW5 breaks out and DH ends up deployed) despite all the negative reviews lately.

yes I know its a lot of money. so take a chance and step down.. maybe just get a OV instead of a Balcony and go for a shorter cruise.

I'm not sure this is the best approach. You are correct, it is a lot of money. Why take the chance? There are many other ships and cruise lines available, try one of them.

Was on the schip last aug/sep, stayed in an OV Cabin on deck 2, no sewage smell :)

Been reading a lot about the Grandeur and reported sewage order problems with interest, as we will be on her in June 2013. The posts are all over the place. I checked the internet for the general title of "sewage order on ships" and found lots of references to other ships and lines - Carnavel, Disney, Princess with the same complaints

Some thoughts on the matter. Boats and ships have holding tanks for "black" water. That has been the law since the late 1970's / early 80's. Holding tanks have vents to avoid pressure build up when more effluent is added. Even on small boats - 30 ft and less, when effluent is added to a tank, you can detect a Sewage smell if the wind is blowing in your direction. Oder blockers are added on small craft to control the situation, but an oder is still detected never the less.

I think one thing we land folks need to realize is that when going to sea, things are different. We live "next" to the sewage plant, the electrical plant, the garbage plant, etc. Our neat home town is packaged in a container 1100 ft by 200 ft by 80 ft, and it has all the services for a population of 3000 - 8000 that on land would be spread over a few square miles. So you are going to experience life's fragrances in differing degrees, and at different times.

Do the ship lines and builders attempt to avoid these undesireable circumstances - I'm not sure why they would not want to. But you've got to vent somewhere - just as your home has sewage vents on your roof. If you get a down blast of air you are going to detect an oder.

Have I smelled the order of sewage on ships - absolutely. Is it constant - not usually. Has it been on different ships, yes.

I've been on Vision and Rhapsody (sister ships to Grandeur) and other ships and other lines and have not noticed "design" problems - maybe a bad "whiff" here and and a bad "whiff" there from time to time.

On a parting positive note, one of the best smells ever experienced aboard a ship (a Navy ship) is the oder of freshly baked bread while standing the 4 to 8 AM watch. Now that is an oder worth discussion.

We've been on GR a couple of times and sailed on all of the Vision class ships about 21 cruises. Depending on the wind (in and out of port) you may get some smells. Sometimes when people leave their doors open the smells will collect inside the ship. Go higher! Go out on the pool deck and smell the fresh air.............. and keep your balconey door closed. :)

Be damned the oders, let's go cruising! :D

What Mekongsailor said.

I think I've caught a whiff of sewer on pretty much any older ship I've been on. RCCL, HAL, X, it doesn't matter.

Think about it... you are in a 1,000x ~105 x 200 foot steel box with 5,000 people and about 2,000 toilets. It's just one of those little things about cruising. If it is too much of a concern, think about booking a brand new ship (but even then...)

For DH it's a sweet roll/bun that the Filipino cooks do for the Midwatch Bridge crew

Just off Grandeur on Monday from the 3 night repositioning cruise to Panama. I did not notice and issues with smell around the ship, including in the centrum. I also did not have any plumbing issues in my cabin. Hopefully that bodes well for future cruises.

I also am just off the Grandeur from the three night repositioning cruise to Panama...and I did not notice any issues either. I thought the ship looked great, no smells on any of the decks, and the ariel act in the Centrum was absolutely beautiful!!

VERY WELL SAID.

Thanks for that perspective; it's quite rational and hugely practical.

Cheers

Archived