Longshoreman Strike - Port of Los Angeles At San Pedro

jasmith52

I couldn't help but notice that the Longshoremens union at the port of Los Angeles are now on strike.

Does anyone know if this will affect cruises and cruise ship operations at the Port of Los Angles at San Pedro ?

Here is a link to a newspaper story concerning the strike.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ports-walkout-20121129,0,4419668.story

I wondered the same thing when I read that story this morning. The story seems to indicate it is only at the container shipping docks where they are striking, but certainly if the port is having to re-direct ships it could affect traffic and such. I would assume the port would do anything in its power not to let it affect the cruise ship docks.

I wondered the same thing when I read that story this morning. The story seems to indicate it is only at the container shipping docks where they are striking, but certainly if the port is having to re-direct ships it could affect traffic and such. I would assume the port would do anything in its power not to let it affect the cruise ship docks.

We are watching this carefully too. Scheduled to board Disney Wonder this Sunday.

Vada

Considering that they do everything from baggage to food to fuel one would think that a strike could have a huge impact on the industry. I came home from Europe on the QEII with my car onboard. My vehicle was the next one in line to be delivered but along came lunch and I had to wait for an hour in NYC sitting on my bags because there was no way anyone was going against the one hour union lunch break to deliver it. Got the vehicle about 1:10 pm and got out of town. I wouldn't expect to see non union replacements called in anytime soon. They sit in a hugely powerful position.

That's in the northeast. The left coast unions are not nearly as powerful. Just sayin'.

I am not sure that is the case with the Longshoremen and Warehousemens union, they are a pretty tough crowd. However it sounds like there maybe a separate union contract with the company that handles the cruise lines and another that deals with cargo and containers....let's hope.

I too am watching this carefully, but after giving this some thought, what is the worse that could happen? So, you are stuck with your luggage for a short time. Cabins are usually ready by 1 or 1:30. No big deal. As a matter of fact, I think I would rather hold on to them for an hour or two than wait (sometimes) until 6:00 to get them.

Is there another downside other than this?

I see another huge downside. The longshoremen are the guys/gals moving everything from the trucks onto the ship for reprovisioning. If they don't take it off the trucks you don't get fed. I've never been a union man but have had to deal with more than a few in my time. Most respect the strikes of others. Who's to say that the truck drivers who are possibly unionized won't honour the picket lines as well. I think this goes well beyond just your bags. Lets hope for a quick resolution so that our fellow cruisers arn't left standing on the dock.

The cruise line can choose to provision at another port, so that won't be an issue.

I suspect, as has been mentioned above, that a separate contract governs the work done on the cruise docks vs the work on the container docks, so there shouldn't be any issues at all.

I too am watching this carefully, but after giving this some thought, what is the worse that could happen? So, you are stuck with your luggage for a short time. Cabins are usually ready by 1 or 1:30. No big deal. As a matter of fact, I think I would rather hold on to them for an hour or two than wait (sometimes) until 6:00 to get them.

Is there another downside other than this?

I would think checking in would be a nightmare with everyone going through with all their bags. It would take forever.

How can you tell they are on strike?

Evey time we have to deal with these losers, half of them are too drunk to even talk.

The other half is so busy smoking cigarettes and complaining about having to work that they do not have any time to actually do anything.

When I came off the QM2, using a wheelchair, I found my luggage, but the man pushing my wheelcahir becme concerned, the line witing for porters was so long, he si , "we could be stuck here for hal and hour" As I had a bus to the sirport to catch, and he would be needed to assist other wheelchair bound passengers, he said he would puch my chair with one hand and pull my case with the other.

Eveything was fine through passport and customs, until we got to the barrier out of the terminal. There the female who wore a CUNARD scarf, refused to open the barrier saying that I had to use a porter to assist with my case.

Talk about holding a gun to someone head. I was really disgusted, she was supposed to be working for Cunard, not the Longshoremans union, I did not feel she had any right to interfere.

Cruise ship ports are away from barge landing areas. Besides the fog and drizzle we had this evening, the Inspiration left on time tonight.

Mom & Sis are eating lunch on the Splendor in Long Beach right now. No unusual problems there.

Archived