Nice job if you can get it. "special year-end dividend" of $90,000,000.

He is nothing but a pathetic, disgusting evil and greedy man. What kind of sick twisted individual wants to pocket that sort of money. Its absolutely disgusting. Its a pity he did not die on the Costa Concordia as it probably would have done the company a favour! I read that article and was absolutely disgusted how he could take that kind of pay and expect passengers to pay his staffs wages with tips.

I read that article and was absolutely disgusted how he could take that kind of pay and expect passengers to pay his staffs wages with tips.

Because the company is acting within the law. Ethics have nothing to do with it. This sort of thing occurs in many many companies and boards all around the (Western) world. Our flying kangaroo paid out huge bonuses to its CEO but not going there - too much contention.

Sorry, but this is dodgy reporting.

The issue here is that the owner is a very rich guy. And he holds a _lot_ of shares in the company. However, this is because his father started the company! Plus a lot of people think it's good to have owners/managers shareholders as they then care about shareholder's interests a lot more.

Now what this article is talking about is actually a dividend issued to _all_ shareholders, not just him. Though it conveniently ignores that for the sake of trying to make him a bad guy. So yes, they're issuing a dividend to all shareholders, he holds a lot of shares, so he gets a big dividend. I don't actually see anything wrong with that as long as he's not pillaging the company or anything dodgy which doesn't seem to be the case, and you'd certainly expect the article to spill anything like that if they had it.

So yes, he's a rich guy getting richer, just like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs (when he was here) and lots of other rich guys. Doesn't mean you have to like him, or even the system, but doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong either. His family did found the company and a lot of people who make successful companies get rich from that - think of any big global company like Ikea, Hilton and so on... so I would say that's understandable... even though the numbers are much higher than any of us would ever dream of!

The author of this tabloid style piece and our own Sutho don't like this Arison guy much do they.:eek:

I know nothing about him personally, so can't comment on other aspects of his personality, but $90,000,000 seems like an obsene amount of money to me.

Agree BigM - it happens everywhere, the guy holds so many shares it looks so much (and it is a huge amount). He got the same dividend per share as those who hold 50 or 100.

Although not the same amount, CEOs, board members and investors are often in the papers here about their bonuses and dividends.

The author of this tabloid style piece and our own Sutho don't like this Arison guy much do they.:eek:

I know nothing about him personally, so can't comment on other aspects of his personality, but $90,000,000 seems like an obsene amount of money to me.

Its not the fact I dont like him, when you see figures like that and know how they treat their staff and how low paid the crew are it makes your blood boil.

I know what dividends are and have had them myself.

It just infutiates people that men like him can pocket that sort of money when clearly the company should be directing the money back to the crew and people who really deserve the money. Come on lets face it Carnival has come under a lot of attack over the past year due to stingy cut backs and money grabs.

I wonder if Mr Arison is giving his ship's crews a Christmas bonus from those earnings?

He could also build a new cruise terminal in Sydney with some of that, just write the cheque out to Anne Sherry, CEO Carnival Australia, LOL.

I think Sutho's statement re the Carnival supremo dying on Costa Concordia is a little harsh though.

Agree BigM - it happens everywhere, the guy holds so many shares it looks so much (and it is a huge amount). He got the same dividend per share as those who hold 50 or 100.

Although not the same amount, CEOs, board members and investors are often in the papers here about their bonuses and dividends.

We (shareholders) are getting an extra dividend this month on top of the normal dividend. It is the extra dividend that he is getting for the shares he holds. It is something to do with the new tax laws that are coming in on 1st January in the US.

It is something to do with the new tax laws that are coming in on 1st January in the US.

They're not forced to distribute it. However, dividends will incur higher taxes from 1 Jan next year, as they've had a subsidy for the past few years. It's therefore better for the taxation of recipients to receive dividends this year.

Wish I would get just a little dividend!!

BTW fnqboatie..I see you live in Cairns and we will be coming your way Dec 2014....any tips as where we should stay or visit..will only be there for 3/4 days....thanks!

Sorry, but this is dodgy reporting.

The issue here is that the owner is a very rich guy. And he holds a _lot_ of shares in the company. However, this is because his father started the company! Plus a lot of people think it's good to have owners/managers shareholders as they then care about shareholder's interests a lot more.

Now what this article is talking about is actually a dividend issued to _all_ shareholders, not just him. Though it conveniently ignores that for the sake of trying to make him a bad guy. So yes, they're issuing a dividend to all shareholders, he holds a lot of shares, so he gets a big dividend. I don't actually see anything wrong with that as long as he's not pillaging the company or anything dodgy which doesn't seem to be the case, and you'd certainly expect the article to spill anything like that if they had it.

So yes, he's a rich guy getting richer, just like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs (when he was here) and lots of other rich guys. Doesn't mean you have to like him, or even the system, but doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong either. His family did found the company and a lot of people who make successful companies get rich from that - think of any big global company like Ikea, Hilton and so on... so I would say that's understandable... even though the numbers are much higher than any of us would ever dream of!

Here! Here!

Archived