where ( what part of city) to stay

cruisegirl1

General areas

La Barceloneta. This area is the closest beach to the city centre. Popular with families and tourists who want good access to the centre of the city but away from the hustle and bustle.

Gothic Quarter. The 'old city' in the very heart of Barcelona and the 'original' Barcelona where the city all started. This area is characterised by winding cobbled ancient streets, wonderfully picturesque architecture, great restaurants and cafes full of atmosphere.

El Raval in Ciutat Vella. Controversial area in Barcelona, probably more suitable for seasoned travellers. Raval is an interesting and exciting area in Barcelona however it also has its darker and seedy side that you ought to be aware of. It is certainly not the safest or the cleanest area in Barcelona but it does have a special personality and character all of its own that makes this area a compelling visit.

El Born in Ciutat Vella. The lower section of the La Ribera district, sandwiched between Via Laietana and Barceloneta, is referred to as El Born. This is one of the trendiest and most touristic districts in the old city. It is a popular place for expats and contains many art boutiques, bars and cafés.

Eixample. Eixample is a large area north of Plaça Catalunya spreading left and right of Passeig de Gràcia. Some of Barcelona's best shopping is found here. It also has many bars and restaurants along with modernist architecture like Gaudí's Casa Batlló, Casa Mila and Sagrada Familia. Eixample is a safe and residential part of the city but there is also a vibrant nightlife and a thriving café culture. It is a beautiful area to wander round, take in the glorious architecture and people-watch from one of the many terrace cafes.

El Poble-sec in Sants-Montjuïc. Not much in the way of tourist attractions in this area but you will find that accommodation prices are lower and since the heart of the city centre is only a 10 minute ride by metro you have excellent transport to the rest of the city.

Sants. The area of Sants doesn't have that many attractions and is quite residential however the ease with which you can travel to areas of interest is a plus point. Accommodation tends to be cheaper here. Barcelona’s main railway station is in this area

Montjuïc. Picturesque Montjuïc characterised by the fabulous views of the city when you get to the top. Tourist attractions include the Magic Fountains, MNAC museum, and Poble Espanyol. Barcelona Olympic stadium is only a short walk away.

Les Corts. Les Corts is an important financial business district and therefore has many good hotels and restaurants but not so much in the way of tourist attractions. Also, on Diagonal there is a large shopping complex called L'Illa.

Gràcia. Gràcia was an independent town until the late 19th century. It is popular with artists and a generally bohemian crowd it also has a high ethnic population and the highest concentration of foreign restaurants in Barcelona. Plaça de Sol is the most renowned area of the neighbourhood, it's lined with terrace cafes and at night this is where the people convene to drink and be merry.

Diagonal Mar. This is a relatively newly developed area between Avenida Diagonal and the sea. There are luxury high-rise apartments, top-class hotels, office blocks, conference centres, a massive shopping mall and a new beach. It is about a 20-minute metro ride to the heart of Barcelona’s old town.

My list of hotels has a column which tells you which hotels are in which district

We stay near Placa Catalunya.

We did too. 8 days in BCN so saw a lot. If you stay at the lower end of Eixample near Placa Catalunya, you are very central - 10-15 min walk or 1-2 Metro stops - of many of BCN's most famous sites and things to do. If you do 2 days -- I can almost assure you-- you will wish you had more time. Something to consider.

Carol laid it out preety good. We have stayed at great three star in the diagonal Metro area, called the Hotel Astoria, if you are on a budget. We stayed there two nights for 67Euros per night. Also, we stayed at the Hotel Gran Marina, right next to the port when staying with a group on a tour. It is very expensive, but very nice.

I would try to stay in the Gothic area or the Eixample, for location, but you will pay double what you pay at the Hotel Astoria.

Thanks to all who posted.

This is great info and we are using it and cross referencing with Trip advisor and our Barcelona “book”

Carol – you list it TERRIFIC - anyway your chart can be re posted as an excel spreadsheet so I can sort it by area or $$

Thanks

Marci

Thanks to all who posted.

This is great info and we are using it and cross referencing with Trip advisor and our Barcelona “book”

Carol – you list it TERRIFIC - anyway your chart can be re posted as an excel spreadsheet so I can sort it by area or $$

Thanks

Marci

Here is a link to the Excel file on SkyDrive

If you have a SkyDrive account (free), you should be able to download the file then sort it.

I would like to point out the note at the end which says

"Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission is strictly prohibited.

Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Carol Andrew with appropriate and specific direction to the original content."

I would try to stay in the Gothic area or the Eixample, for location, but you will pay double what you pay at the Hotel Astoria.

I'm no Barcelona expert, having only a few days experience there, but I would agree with this. The Eixample would get you VERY close to the best Moderniste architecture, and there seems to be good shopping and restaurants. Looks pricey, though.

The Gothic area is very atmospheric and it seems pretty quite. I'd stay here if I were going in the summer, because the streets are all narrow and thus very shaded. It's also quite near La Rambla, if that is of interest to you.

Archived