Cruising with a broken arm

butterflyeffect

Well my son broke his radius snowboarding today. Of course it was his dominant arm. We went to urgent care who temporary set it and will see the orthopedic on Monday. We sail on Saturday on the Dream. Was wondering if anyone who sailed with a kid who was in a cast could share their experience? Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I sailed with my broken wrist in a cast on my dominant hand, no big deal. Go to a medical supply store and get a cast shower sleve, it makes taking showers much easier. He won't be able to swim, but he'll just have to deal with that.

The airlines are the biggest hassle as you have to be additionally screened.

I agree. Not sure how old your son is, but doesn't matter. It's better to sail than not. I had a nasty break several years ago, folllowed by a surgery with pins. I had to order a cast sleeve, which made life so much easier. He can be at home and miserable and missing a trip, or he can be on a cruise and miserable, but distracted with fun stuff to do... . I would choose cruise.

I sailed with my broken wrist in a cast on my dominant hand, no big deal. Go to a medical supply store and get a cast shower sleve, it makes taking showers much easier. He won't be able to swim, but he'll just have to deal with that..

You can also go to Tractor Supply Company and pick up this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/producer-s-pride-reg-shoulder-length-ob-glove-pack-of-10-1019764

We use them to cover arms of patients with casts or IVs.

I agree with the waterproof cast. We saw a boy with a wrist fracture on our last cruise and he was swimming away with his cast. I spoke with his mom and he had a pretty nasty break by how she described it--not a compound, nor did he have to it repaired surgically. As long as the skin is intact, most orthopods will probably let him have the waterproof one.

I will 100% recommend a waterproof cast. It is an extra cost above what most insurance will pay, but when my daughter broke her arm 2 years ago it was only a $35 "upgrade." Even if you weren't going on vacation, it would STILL be my recommendation for showering convenience alone!

Basically, instead of cotton gauze lining the cast, it is a mesh type gauze. The whole thing can be submerged, and then the water drains right out. We have a pool, and my daughter swam the whole summer, bathed, showered, everything like she normally would!

Have a great cruise!

Sounds like the waterproof casts are better than they used to be. :)

When my son fractured his wrist a few years ago we asked for a waterproof cast. My husband is a pediatrician and knew how much easier they are to shower in.

Our ortho guy told us that he would not recommend them as they didn't provide the right kind of support for my sons simple break.

Either way, I hope you have a great cruise.

I'm going to vote with the others for asking for a waterproof cast. Have had two kids in casts (ankle and foot) and it made vacation so much easier to Florida over Easter break -- swimming, showering, water rides -- all fine. The hard cast is the same; it's the liner that is different. We used Gore Procel - I had to order it and then have the cast put on once it came in (they had overnight shipping) as my ortho didn't carry it in stock. Have a wonderful cruise!

I'm going to vote with the others for asking for a waterproof cast. Have had two kids in casts (ankle and foot) and it made vacation so much easier to Florida over Easter break -- swimming, showering, water rides -- all fine. The hard cast is the same; it's the liner that is different. We used Gore Procel - I had to order it and then have the cast put on once it came in (they had overnight shipping) as my ortho didn't carry it in stock. Have a wonderful cruise!

Wish I had known about that when I spent 8 weeks in a cast with my broken wrist. I had to beg them to give me enough thumb joint so I could still put on makeup.;)

I will definitely ask about a waterproof cast. I have never wanted a Monday to be here quickly except for now :p I have been reading you shouldn't fly within 48 of a casting. Something about cabin pressure and swelling. Talking to the orthopedist will put me at ease.

Make sure you read the requirements of the airline that you are flying on. Most want you to wait 48 hours after casting, unless you have a split cast. They say that they DO ask for a letter from your physician stating the date of casting, so make sure you get one of these just in case they ask.

A shoulder-length OB glove from a farm supply store? I don't even want to know what the intended use is.

i've seen exactly what they're used for; and your idea is exactly what/where they are for :-)

I hope they were able to set your son's arm today as planned. One of the times that my son broke his hand (yes, he's broken the same one twice!) there was too much swelling to set it in a permanent cast right away and he was stuck with a temporary cast for about a week and had to be very careful of it until he got the full cast. The second time he broke it was before a major trip to Japan with a school group, and he only got the cast off 2 days before he left! The had wanted to remove it a few days later, but he'd have been in Japan, and they figured it was better to remove it a couple days early than make him go to Japan in a cast. Good thing because it was hot and humid when he was there and he'd have been miserable.

Hope things go well for your son and he's able to enjoy the cruise!

Thanks Sherryf. They set it today. It ended up being three fractures - radius, ulna, and hand. No waterproof cast though doctor said they aren't as good and more concerned about it healing properly. So no water activities for him. Which is disappointing but we will still have fun. Briefly considered rescheduling but a week on a cruise is still better than a week at work and school. So he will get more culture on our country visits instead of the typical water fun. Nothing wrong with that. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that your son will still be able to go and enjoy the cruise even if he can't do any water activities. I'm sure he'll still be able to EAT, and that's what my teenage boys enjoyed most on their cruise. :D

Find a small inflatable pillow or inflatable pool toy...like a mini air mattress

He can at least hang out in the pool and ocean without holding his arm up in the air.

I discovered this by accident when my DIL's dad was standing in the ocean in mexico with his cast in the air - I slipped it under his arm and he was all smiles! He could even snorkel a little

Kind of related, but not really. :p

I fell and broke my hand ON my 2010 cruise while in port. It was completely bruised and swollen like crazy. I decided NOT to visit the expensive ship doctor. I just babied it the rest of the cruise...I went snorkeling and swimming the next day. 2 days after that we went snorkeling and sail boating. :D When I got home, I waited another 2 weeks then went to have it checked out. Yep, it was broke. :( Yep, dominant hand. Yep, at the time I typed for a living and yep I was also a full time Nursing student. YIKES!

Cast are not fun, especially if you love the water as much as I do. I hope your son enjoys himself. It sure beats being at home/school/work. ;)

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks. Not going in the water is disappointing but he is having a great outlook on it. He is a water fanatic usually but.. he is coping. I can't imagine going that long without having it checked. He couldn't move it and he usually tolerates pain well. :p

I have seen an inflatable cast in UK catalogues. You slide it over your regular cast and inflate it; and it keeps the cast dry while you bathe. Don't know if it would work for swimming-you'd probably have trouble keeping your arm in the water!

I'm glad your son is OK. Last year my nephew broke his upper arm & they had a cruise planned for X-mas week. When they got the OK from his Physician, they made sure that he still had a great time. One thing they did was Rent a Cabana @ the beach so that he was shielded from the sun, but could still watch everything that was going on. Don't forget his IPod, E-Reader, etc... Good luck! Kid's are resiliant. He'll have a great time anyway!

Archived