Social Dining

wowpeople

We have about 25 cruises under our belts but this will be our first Seabourn (Quest )cruise. Over the past 7-8 years, we have been cruising with other couples so had instant dining companions nightly. Before that, we were at fixed dining venues and seated with 8-10 others.

My question is...does the Maitre D attempt to seat similar aged people together if requested? Wondering about the age demographics...we are mid 50's....

As my hubbie and I have dinner at home nightly alone, we definately want to enjoy the company of others at dinner while on board . Will be on Quest Dec 7 th sailing.😊

We have about 25 cruises under our belts but this will be our first Seabourn (Quest )cruise. Over the past 7-8 years, we have been cruising with other couples so had instant dining companions nightly. Before that, we were at fixed dining venues and seated with 8-10 others.

My question is...does the Maitre D attempt to seat similar aged people together if requested? Wondering about the age demographics...we are mid 50's....

As my hubbie and I have dinner at home nightly alone, we definately want to enjoy the company of others at dinner while on board . Will be on Quest Dec 7 th sailing.

Sounds like us ... we will be on the same cruise.

Linda and Mike

Most nights various officers and entertainment staff will invite guest to join them for dinner.You usually receive a written invitation in your cabin and are asked to phone to accept or decline.The table is usually 8 to 10 pepole plus the host and is great way of not only meeting other guests but also to get to know your host better as well.

By the way Coronado Island is my wifes favourite place in the US.:D

wowpeople, we found it very easy to meet lots of nice people on Seabourn including those traveling solo, partners, and couples.

In some cases you will just be chatting with someone earlier in the day and you'll hit it off and they will ask you if you have dinner plans or you might ask them. In other cases the Maitre d' can sit you with others. And, as mentioned from time to time you receive invitations to hosted tables which are hosted by someone from the ship (could be officer but also others such as entertainer or enrichment person) and that is another way to meet others for dinner. You can decline them at anytime and if you are enjoying them just let the front desk know that.

We really found it easy to meet others and to enjoy the company of many fellow guests.

Keith

On our last cruise on the Spirirt, the Maitre D' just asked when you came in if you wanted to be seated with others... We did that a few times but also just met people randomly and had dinner. It is hard to seat us with people our age as we are generally the youngest - or close to it - on board, but the age thing doesn't bother us.. We have friends younger than us and 20 or more years older... (I will be celebrating the big four-oh on this trip...)

One of the advantages of an 'all-inclusive' cruise is that you can meet others, and invite them for drinks or dinner without any worry about who pays! If you meet others and want to have a special meal together, speak to the MD who can arrange it with a day or two. I prefer to have a 'curry luncheon' on a sea day, rather than deal with a dinner, when it is busier and the MDR is more crowded.

On our last cruise on the Spirirt, the Maitre D' just asked when you came in if you wanted to be seated with others... We did that a few times but also just met people randomly and had dinner. It is hard to seat us with people our age as we are generally the youngest - or close to it - on board, but the age thing doesn't bother us.. We have friends younger than us and 20 or more years older... (I will be celebrating the big four-oh on this trip...)

We are 'young at heart' so looking fwd to meeting u!

Wendy and Gary

when you arrive at the Dining Room each night, if you haven't already made plans with other people, the Maitre'd will ask you if you would like to join another couple, or like to start a new table for 6 etc etc, lots of options, or if you would like to dine alone. The choice of how and with whom you dine is your choice. The hosted tables can be fun, either with an Officer, Entertainer, Doctor, Cruise Directors, Lecturers or even the Captain! However these tables are large, usually 10 people, and you and your partner are split up, so have a "stranger" either side of you. If you are outgoing, this is a great way to meet new people, but some shy type people find it a bit daunting. We usually dine a "different" way each night, depending on our mood! One night, may be with friends, the next a hosted table, the next we feel like an early night so just a table for 2 suits us better, then the next we may join a table for 6 or 8, or maybe just another couple. Its all YOUR decision!

We have just the opposite problem! Frequently, younger folks don't want to sit with us elderly folk so we usually sit by ourselves. We are 87 and 97(gasp) but still love to cruise and meet new friends. Look out for us on the Quest Christmas cruise!! Or not! We'll understand.

Jean

Jean,

We are onboard for the cruise before yours... otherwise we'd love to meet you! Enjoy your.cruise!

Thanks, FKGirl. You enjoy your big 40 (oh my, that seems so long ago!! but time flies, I'll tell you that) on your cruise. They will treat you very nicely on your birthday, you can count on that. Seabourn does it right!

Jean

Archived