Traveling with a Magnum

Dawnya00

The last time we sailed we enjoyed the many martini's and specials the ship had to offer. This time, I am interested in maybe bringing on wine of my own, again, this is a Honeymoon and it would be nice to have a special bottle.

I understand the corkage fees I think, but I have a question about checking in the bottles. I am actually looking at bringing a magnum in :D and wonder what the check in process is. I understand I also need to make arrangements for flying or mailing it before hand......

Thoughts?? Experiences??

Thanks all!!

The last time we sailed we enjoyed the many martini's and specials the ship had to offer. This time, I am interested in maybe bringing on wine of my own, again, this is a Honeymoon and it would be nice to have a special bottle.

I understand the corkage fees I think, but I have a question about checking in the bottles. I am actually looking at bringing a magnum in :D and wonder what the check in process is. I understand I also need to make arrangements for flying or mailing it before hand......

Thoughts?? Experiences??

Thanks all!!

A magnum is two 750-ml bottles of wine so corkage is $30 for that.

You either need to carry it on at initial embarkation or put it in your checked luggage and it may or may not be detected and you will be called to the Naughty Room. Since you are flying, you would put it in your checked baggage. I suppose if you were staying somewhere prior to your cruise, you could have the wine shipped to your hotel. Hopefully, it would arrive on time but seems like a lot of worry when you are in the middle of a wedding.

Oh that kind of Magnum. Never mind, my head was somewhere else. LOL

Funny. When I was making the title, I wondered if anyone would catch that! :p

I will have a night in Miami before embarkation. I don't want to spend anytime in the naughty room if I can avoid it. If I bring it in a carry on, do I just declare it while at the port?

Also, is it only available for me to drink while in the MDR?

I will have a night in Miami before embarkation. I don't want to spend anytime in the naughty room if I can avoid it. If I bring it in a carry on, do I just declare it while at the port?

Haha! I was thinking, "forget the naughty room, you're going to have a hard time getting on the ship." :p LOL

We've not brought a Magnum size bottle with us, but to my knowledge you should just be able to declare it like you would a regular sized bottle, you just have to pay more like jdvmd mentioned.

Our experience was that you can drink in any restaurant or anywhere. They'll just keep it refrigerated for you if you want it.

...and if you happen to run across this Magnum, tell me where. ;)

Yes, just declare it after you pass through security. You can drink it anytime and anywhere. If you don't finish it, they will hold it for you until the next evening.

Since Im not a wine drinker the only Magnum I have heard of would be the one that you cant bring on for sure. YOU GOT ME ON THIS ONE.

Your big problem is checking the luggage and safely getting your magnum to your destination. Most magnums cost more than 2x the standard bottle - so that will probably be the primary concern. NCL charges 2x the bottle since its 2x volume - so thats $30 and not a big deal.

People should see the names after the magnum (1.5L). The Jerobaum (3L) and all sorts of biblical names for sizes larger than that. For alcohol though - the main ones you see after the standard bottle are the demo (375ml), or the magnum at the jerobaum. Though the imperial does show up every once in awhile.

Rather than worrying about checking it for your flight to Miami why not just purchase it when you arrive in Miami? There are many liquor stores in Miami with extensive offerings. Carry it on board, pay the corkage fee and enjoy at your leisure!

Haha! I was thinking, "forget the naughty room, you're going to have a hard time getting on the ship." :p LOL

We've not brought a Magnum size bottle with us, but to my knowledge you should just be able to declare it like you would a regular sized bottle, you just have to pay more like jdvmd mentioned.

Our experience was that you can drink in any restaurant or anywhere. They'll just keep it refrigerated for you if you want it.

...and if you happen to run across this Magnum, tell me where. ;)

Funny...I thought you all were talking about the firearm :D

~ La Princesa

You all are cracking me up! These are great. Hee hee

Ok. I think I will hold off bringing one with me, look into purchasing it while in Miami and pay the extra fee and hope for the best.

Thanks so much everyone! 71 days and counting! :)

Me too. I was thinking 44.:eek::D

Are you from Brooklyn too? ROFL :p

You all are cracking me up! These are great. Hee hee

You need to start more threads OP! :D

Let us know how you fare bringing a Magnum on board. Which ever kind you choose to bring. I'd still go for this one if I were you... ;)

I'm from Arizona and was also thinking of a .357, but now I wish I was British so I could understand what they were thinking.

I'm heading to Google now.

Update: OK, I went to wiki and assuming the British are not thinking of a car, an ice cream, a hole in your skull, a firearm or a rocket...then I think I have it figured out....and must say to the OP, have a great cruise!!!

Archived