Melbourne myki

Omega1

I can check this out on Saturday if its useful for anyone as I'm boarding the Dawn Princess from Melbourne this weekend and catching the 109 tram to Beacon Cove.

According to the Myki website there is a couple of retail outlets near the port. This one appears to be the closest retailer to the port.

Myki-PortMelbourne.gif

maps?hl=en&q=Beacon+Cove+Food+Store+103+Beach+Street+Port+Melbourne,+3207&ie=UTF8&hq=Beacon+Cove+Food+Store&hnear=103+Beach+St,+Port+Melbourne+Victoria+3207&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0&ei=dETFUJXnOe6hmQWSooGoBw&pw=2

When I cruised into Melbourne last December, they sold tickets from a public transport ticket centre within the port, on the right hand side, and the buses left from inside the port. The bus stopped at the Arts Precinct on St Kilda Road. This is the first bus stop for the excellent free tourist shuttle bus which tours Melbourne.

http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/gettingaroundthecity/visitorassistance/pages/touristshuttle.aspx

I'm looking into this as well & just rang the 13taxi cab people who advised the fare from the port to the city is around $8 - $10.

If you have 4 pax in the cab, thats only $2 each, even if it's $20 that's still only $5 each way, so $10 each all up, which is cheaper than the MYKI card & less hassle.

Plus you go exactly where you want. I know what I'll be doing & I'll get my tram time experience on the free city circle tram.:D

I did hear that the port people were arranging something possibly for cruise passengers regards MYKI, I'm waiting to hear back from them, but unless it's super easy I'll go with the taxi still.

Cool. I just used the Silvertop fare estimator.

But I will say..I just used Google maps to plot a route from the pier to Federation square and it is 5.1 klms. The fare is $1.617 per klm = $8.24 + $3.20 flag fall = $11.44. But if the vehicle is stuck in any peak hour traffic and slows down to less than 21 klms then you will also be charged 0.566 cents per 60 seconds in addition. Of course that is impossible to factor in as you may not slow down but it does start to look like edging towards $13 depending on time of day. But as you say...between 4 people that's nothing.

Archived