Thomson Airways to Trial Extra Legroom

From TTG Digital

Thomson Airways passengers could be sitting more comfortably next year after a decision to add more legroom on around 20 aircraft used to destinations like Egypt.

The trial removal of 12 seats from Thomson Airways’ Boeing 757 fleet will go ahead from early next year.

A Thomson spokeswoman said: “We are reviewing the configuration and looking at trialing extra legroom. We do not have any details yet, but we will next year.”

It is understood the airline plans to reduce the number of seats on the aircraft from 233 to 221 by removing two rows, but it is unclear if this extra space will be divided equally throughout the cabin or if Thomson will introduce a premium section.

Thomson Airways led charter airlines in offering a 33-inch economy seat pitch on its long-haul flights to destinations like Florida and the Caribbean. This is two inches more than British Airways or Virgin Atlantic, but its short and medium-haul flights offer 28 inches, in line with competitors Thomas Cook and Monarch.

Good move I think. Thomson need to increase legroom on shorthaul flights. I guess, if destinations like Egypt are being considered, I would expect there thinking about mediumhaul destinations i.e. Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Cape Verde. Only on the 757 though. They don't have as many of them in the fleet anymore, so will probably not benefit that many flights, but at least it shows they are looking into it. I wonder how much getting rid of two rows will increase the legroom?

I hope it's to give more leg room throughout the plane. If it's just for a limited number of 'premium' seats there are still going to be a large number of passengers crammed into very claustrophobic seating - and for a 5.5 hour flight that's no joke. Even if everyone were prepared to pay the premium price for more comfortable seating - they simply won't be able to as most sesats won't be 'premium'.

I'm really pleased that thomson are listening to customer feed-back on this issue but I'd urge them to address the sardine-like conditions on the Egypt flights for all passengers (and any other flights to destinations of similar length with such restricted seating). I'm short and vowed never to do that itinerary again because of the flight - and I'm sure I can't be the only one - and as for tall people....................... well you have my sympathy! :rolleyes:

I hope it's to give more leg room throughout the plane. If it's just for a limited number of 'premium' seats there are still going to be a large number of passengers crammed into very claustrophobic seating - and for a 5.5 hour flight that's no joke. Even if everyone were prepared to pay the premium price for more comfortable seating - they simply won't be able to as most sesats won't be 'premium'.

I'm really pleased that thomson are listening to customer feed-back on this issue but I'd urge them to address the sardine-like conditions on the Egypt flights for all passengers (and any other flights to destinations of similar length with such restricted seating). I'm short and vowed never to do that itinerary again because of the flight - and I'm sure I can't be the only one - and as for tall people....................... well you have my sympathy! :rolleyes:

I think a Premium cabin will be unlikely. An aircraft they've just phased out from their merger with First Choice, Airbus A321, had a premium cabin for short haul. I think because of the increase of APD, especially on premium classes, I can't see them doing it for shorthaul. Hopefully, like you, it will be to benefit all passengers. At the moment I think the seat pitch is 28/29/30". Probably I'd expect maybe a 32" seat pitch on these aircraft. I'm surprised they're doing it on the 757 as they are phasing these aircraft out over the next few years, replacing them with the 737. Perhaps if it is successful, they'll change the seat pitch on some 737's also.

I'm guessing the 757’s are Gatwick Manchester only?

757's for summer 2013 are currently down to be from Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, London Gatwick, London Luton and Manchester, and perhaps a couple of other airports if they're doing a W pattern.

I hope it's true, I raised it on the Q&A the other week. That flight to Sharm and, even worse, the one back was the worse experience we have ever had on a flight. Not only did we have our knees in our faces the whole 6 hours back but the woman in front of my OH reclined her seat straight away and left it like that the whole way back. We could barely move for days afterwards and they had the cheek to warn the passengers about the risk of dvt. I would like to go back there but the sardine can is definitely putting us off.

Jan

Not only did we have our knees in our faces the whole 6 hours back but the woman in front of my OH reclined her seat straight away and left it like that the whole way back.

give the ignorant b****** the treatment, just keep getting up in your seat often,get hold of the headrest of the offending seat and pull it back and forth violently and when they start scowling politely explain its the only way you can pull yourself to your feet because of the sloping back, best to try and judge it when they are just dozing off, they soon get the message

give the ignorant b****** the treatment, just keep getting up in your seat often,get hold of the headrest of the offending seat and pull it back and forth violently and when they start scowling politely explain its the only way you can pull yourself to your feet because of the sloping back, best to try and judge it when they are just dozing off, they soon get the message

Funny you should say that, on a flight back from Palma I was sat in the middle with a woman in the aisle seat. In front sat 2 students, the male of which had a pink mohican. He put the outside seat back and lay across the 2. The woman did what you suggested and he got up and started on me right in front of the cabin crew who did nothing. She sat there and didn't own up so I had to stand up for myself in a forceful way.:D:D My point is that I think that seats should only recline one notch back, or even not at all when there is limited leg room. I never recline my seat unless we sit on the back row where there is limited ability. It causes more grumpiness and inconsiderate behaviour than anything else.:)

Jan

Funny you should say that, on a flight back from Palma I was sat in the middle with a woman in the aisle seat. In front sat 2 students, the male of which had a pink mohican. He put the outside seat back and lay across the 2. The woman did what you suggested and he got up and started on me right in front of the cabin crew who did nothing. She sat there and didn't own up so I had to stand up for myself in a forceful way.:D:D My point is that I think that seats should only recline one notch back, or even not at all when there is limited leg room. I never recline my seat unless we sit on the back row where there is limited ability. It causes more grumpiness and inconsiderate behaviour than anything else.:)

Jan

time they welded the lot up

Agree okavango! There is no need for the seats to be tipped back as far as they go :mad:

I agree also, there is nothing worse than having to sit behind someone who reclines. On our flight back last week the person in front of my husband did this, but not for to long. I saw his knees moving about and as if by magic the chair back went back up, think they got the message lol. Knees work well in the back of the chair:)

With at least 36 rows of seats left on the plane that means 1/18th of a row extra width per row IF they divide the extra space equally.

how much is 1/18th of a row?

would it make a difference?

ps i have little legs, at least a 4 inch gap in front of my knees :D

Archived