NCL price match guarantee is a LIE!

JPNNH

In fairness to the OP I do find NCL's pricing policy to be a detriment. When I decided on an epic cruise it was based on a price quoted by a TA's advertisement (we were looking at the oasis and allure also). Never having heard of the TA I called NCL to book directly. NCL's fare was 42% HIGHER than the TA and would not budge even acknowledging the TA's price. After phoning NCL twice they would not offer the lower fare. So I called the TA and booked. I do beleve it is RCI's policy to not be undersold on any cruise, you may not get the perks, ie onboard credits, specialty dinners ect but the base fare is not discounted. It really bothered me that the price difference would be so much different, and before I sail it leaves a bit of a bad taste, or better said the optics of using NCL to book leaves a sour taste in my mouth. NCL would not offer the lower fare prior to booking so I no longer trust the pricing I see on NCL's web page

In fairness to the OP I do find NCL's pricing policy to be a detriment. When I decided on an epic cruise it was based on a price quoted by a TA's advertisement (we were looking at the oasis and allure also). Never having heard of the TA I called NCL to book directly. NCL's fare was 42% HIGHER than the TA and would not budge even acknowledging the TA's price. After phoning NCL twice they would not offer the lower fare. So I called the TA and booked. I do beleve it is RCI's policy to not be undersold on any cruise, you may not get the perks, ie onboard credits, specialty dinners ect but the base fare is not discounted. It really bothered me that the price difference would be so much different, and before I sail it leaves a bit of a bad taste, or better said the optics of using NCL to book leaves a sour taste in my mouth. NCL would not offer the lower fare prior to booking so I no longer trust the pricing I see on NCL's web page

TA's will offer a piece of the commission that they receive OR they will book blocks of rooms at a discount and sell them off. The block booking means you cannot choose the actual cabin you will sail in, you need to accept one that is offered to you AND time and time again we see TA's that are not helpful when issues arise. I too, feel the control over my booking has some value.

Add mine as another voice saying that I wish NCL could offer the same fares I can get from a travel agent. i'd much rather book direct so I can control my own reservation, but sometimes I end up using a travel agent because the agent is significantly cheaper. If the website is robust, i'd be happy to book online, so NCL's personell costs would not necessarily rise substantially, yet their commission cost could fall.

Add mine as another voice saying that I wish NCL could offer the same fares I can get from a travel agent. i'd much rather book direct so I can control my own reservation, but sometimes I end up using a travel agent because the agent is significantly cheaper. If the website is robust, i'd be happy to book online, so NCL's personell costs would not necessarily rise substantially, yet their commission cost could fall.

But don't we already know that NCL does not allow TAs to offer a "discounted price". So the only way that a TA can do this is either group booking or cut into their own commission by throwing some OBC the customers way. NCL does offer a "discounted price" the same way as the TA if the customer can get a group together. So for all intensive purposes the customer does get a "discounted" rate if the customer follows the criteria that the TA has to.

The price match guarantee is not a lie. The methods travel agencies use to offer the lower price as you read above just make it seem so. Other cruise lines have the same rules regarding their pricing. One needs to shop around and when price differences occur, one needs to weigh the pros and cons of booking either with the cruise line or with an agency/agent. The poster who wrote there are always better agency prices out there than the cruise company prices is accurate. Even so, trusting the agency and knowing their reputation and such make sense before clicking that submit button!

coka

Edited by coka

Sometimes saving money is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

You may save money but that doesn't guarantee you that that TA is going to work for you. I personally don't need a middleman. I want full control of my own booking and for that I am willing to pay a higher price. NCL offers deals ,that if you keep an eye on prices, you can book when that price is acceptable to you.

I don't follow your train of thought. You NEVER have "full control" of your booking, since you will ALWAYS need to call either NCL or your travel agent to make any changes to your reservation. Need to apply a new promo code? Have to call. Need to get your stateroom re-priced because the price dropped? Have to call. You will have a "middleman" in either situation, so why not take the better price/amenities? Of course, the assumption is that you find a travel agent that does a good job, which I have found.

But don't we already know that NCL does not allow TAs to offer a "discounted price". So the only way that a TA can do this is either group booking or cut into their own commission by throwing some OBC the customers way. NCL does offer a "discounted price" the same way as the TA if the customer can get a group together. So for all intensive purposes the customer does get a "discounted" rate if the customer follows the criteria that the TA has to.

Wrong. Travel agents can book several rooms at a "group" rate and discount the price (plus usually add amenities like OBC or wine, etc) and that is perfectly fine with NCL. That is why customers consistently find lower prices through a travel agent that NCL won't honor with their "best price guarantee." The guarantee should be renamed "if the price drops on our site within 48 hours guarantee" because it doesn't cover any future price drops and it certainly does not guarantee you the best price in the marketplace. It's a marketing gimmick based on the assumption that you won't actually shop around outside of the NCL site.

I don't follow your train of thought. You NEVER have "full control" of your booking, since you will ALWAYS need to call either NCL or your travel agent to make any changes to your reservation. Need to apply a new promo code? Have to call. Need to get your stateroom re-priced because the price dropped? Have to call. You will have a "middleman" in either situation, so why not take the better price/amenities? Of course, the assumption is that you find a travel agent that does a good job, which I have found.

If you have a problem with your booking and booked through a TA then you will not be able to rectify the problem by calling NCL because NCL will not talk to you. That is what che means by having full control. As you point out the key is finding a good TA that is responsive.

Our fare went down 100.00 We got upgraded from a porthole to a picture window. I did have to call.

How close to your sailing were you when you did that? I just saw that my cruise went down $50 pp but there is only 54 days until we go.

So what if NCL's price was higher? You booked with the TA who offered you the lower price. Why complain that NCL would not lower their quote. You got what you wanted, just not through them.

I must time my reservations perfectly because I have never seen an online TA's price lower than what I booked through NCL. Plus my PCC has given excellent advice on room location and getting what I want, such as midship, but in a lower and cheaper category.

Ever since a TA would not help when my then 14 year old son was bumped from a flight she arranged I have been a bit leery of TA's...

So, OP drops his "lie" and sits back and watches the chaos he created. Go figure.

John

Not really he did not like the answers he was getting here so he started the same rant on NCL's Facebook page. He even got got some support his expectation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

In first circumstance the TA gathers the reservations to form the group...I do not have to do so. they do not necessarily disclose to me that they have added me to a group.

Are NCL PCC allowed to gather a bunch of bookings for the same sailing, label them a group and give everybody a discount? If NCL would allow (and perhaps even facilitate) THAT, it might work out well. Or even better, if NCL allowed strangers booking via the Internet to opt to put themselves into a group booking (so the discount or perks would grow as the groups grows), that would be great. Group members could check in on the website, see the group grow and see their perks grow. Furthermore IF the web site is robust (a big IF), it would probably increase the number of direct Internet bookings and decrease commission costs.

If you have a problem with your booking and booked through a TA then you will not be able to rectify the problem by calling NCL because NCL will not talk to you. That is what che means by having full control. As you point out the key is finding a good TA that is responsive.

Thanks sparks that is exactly what I mean. Finding a travel agent that is responsive to me, falls under the same category IMO as insurance. You can't test drive them so you never know if they will come through for you when you most need it until you need it.

There is a difference between a "group" (people who know each other traveling together and "group rates" which really should be called bulk rates or block rates. The travel agent has a "bulk rate" because the cruise line expects them to sell a certain number of cabins. This "bulk rate" may be lower than NCL, and in addition you may see a group "code" on some travel documents or reservation, this is because you are part of "bulk" pricing.

You can have your "own group" of people traveling together for which you may or may not be eligible for "group" benefits, depending on the number of cabins you are booking. Whether or not you are considered a "group" on your own, you may still be part of a group/block/bulk rate given to the TA

Please be aware of the difference between the 2

I agree with the other poster, you have a choice, you can book through NCL and get their rates and services and be able to contact them directly, or you can book through a Travel Agent and get their rates and services, and all your communication will need to be through them. Your choice

Wrong. Travel agents can book several rooms at a "group" rate and discount the price (plus usually add amenities like OBC or wine, etc) and that is perfectly fine with NCL. That is why customers consistently find lower prices through a travel agent that NCL won't honor with their "best price guarantee." The guarantee should be renamed "if the price drops on our site within 48 hours guarantee" because it doesn't cover any future price drops and it certainly does not guarantee you the best price in the marketplace. It's a marketing gimmick based on the assumption that you won't actually shop around outside of the NCL site.

An awsome summary of how I feel, add the 100 dollar OBC brochure fiasco and I am thinking NCL is not concerned about the optics of either their advertising or of the absolute integrity of their web site pricing. I am on the Epic in less than 30 days, and already feel this is my last NCL cruise just becouse I feel like I have been misled. I am sure I will enjoy my cruise, but I don't want to shop around, I really just want to book, and enjoy my holiday. Don't have me shop around, and 42 percent difference in price is UNEXCEPTABLE.

An awsome summary of how I feel, add the 100 dollar OBC brochure fiasco and I am thinking NCL is not concerned about the optics of either their advertising or of the absolute integrity of their web site pricing. I am on the Epic in less than 30 days, and already feel this is my last NCL cruise just becouse I feel like I have been misled. I am sure I will enjoy my cruise, but I don't want to shop around, I really just want to book, and enjoy my holiday. Don't have me shop around, and 42 percent difference in price is UNEXCEPTABLE.

clearly the difference upset you, and I can understand that. May I offer analogy?

Imagine I have an art gallery. I spot a young artist and love her work, so I buy multiple pieces (maybe even some future pieces) for a song. within a year or so, her popularity soars and gets a manager who jacks up her prices (supply and demand at work). So now, if you come to my gallery I can still make a profit even though I offer you a better price than the artist's own manager will give you. it would seem odd. You might not like shopping around to get my price. But are you mad at me for making a wise business decision and buying up supply at a good price? Are you mad at the artist for offering her art at the price in commands on the open market? Are you mad at the artist for selling work cheaply when she was an undiscovered starving artist? Or are you just glad to get a piece of art you love?

back to the cruiseline. they price the cruise and it does not sell well. So they put cabins on sale. a smart travel agent thinks it is a good price so they contract for a block of cabins at a great price. Before long a lot of cabins are sold...maybe a group like a corporation buys a bunch of cabins for a motivational reward. So now the supply of cabins is low...Econ 101 says with low supply and decent demand, the price rises. enter putercents. the price via the cruiseline is high. the price of one of those rooms blocked out by the TA is lower. putercents is frustrated....but should he be angry at the TA for making a smart buy? Or angry at the cruiseline for responding to supply and demand?

Please note...I am not a gallery owner nor a travel agent....so neither story is likely to be true to life. TA's here are welcome to inform me of each and every flaw in my cruiseline hypothesis. Gallery owners will undoubtedly tell me to sell art for more market rate to maximize my profit.

clearly the difference upset you, and I can understand that. May I offer analogy?

Imagine I have an art gallery. I spot a young artist and love her work, so I buy multiple pieces (maybe even some future pieces) for a song. within a year or so, her popularity soars and gets a manager who jacks up her prices (supply and demand at work). So now, if you come to my gallery I can still make a profit even though I offer you a better price than the artist's own manager will give you. it would seem odd. You might not like shopping around to get my price. But are you mad at me for making a wise business decision and buying up supply at a good price? Are you mad at the artist for offering her art at the price in commands on the open market? Are you mad at the artist for selling work cheaply when she was an undiscovered starving artist? Or are you just glad to get a piece of art you love?

back to the cruiseline. they price the cruise and it does not sell well. So they put cabins on sale. a smart travel agent thinks it is a good price so they contract for a block of cabins at a great price. Before long a lot of cabins are sold...maybe a group like a corporation buys a bunch of cabins for a motivational reward. So now the supply of cabins is low...Econ 101 says with low supply and decent demand, the price rises. enter putercents. the price via the cruiseline is high. the price of one of those rooms blocked out by the TA is lower. putercents is frustrated....but should he be angry at the TA for making a smart buy? Or angry at the cruiseline for responding to supply and demand?

Please note...I am not a gallery owner nor a travel agent....so neither story is likely to be true to life. TA's here are welcome to inform me of each and every flaw in my cruiseline hypothesis. Gallery owners will undoubtedly tell me to sell art for more market rate to maximize my profit.

Good scenerio. Love the end :D

Or you could sell your art to liquored-up vacationers at an "auction!":D

LOL Thanks for the laugh valleyvillage :D

Or you could sell your art to liquored-up vacationers at an "auction!":D

LOL. Do you think my quaint, yet struggling, hypothetical little gallery has no standards?!? Now, which way to the free "champagne"?

Good scenerio. Love the end :D

LOL Thanks for the laugh valleyvillage :D

I sincerely would welcome TA's comments on my analogy...I am happy to learn any thing they'd care to teach me about their industry. OTOH, art gallery owners are probably wasting their time trying to explain anything to somebody as oblivious to quality art as I.

Starry Eyes I am not meaning to turn this into an ongoing rant so please do not percieve my retorts to be a blanket "I hate" post. lol Your analogy I think is spot on. NCLS' advertised price guarentee is smoke and mirrors(must read the small print). I contacted RCI and this type of pricing difference can not happen (you can still get perks, but no discount on the advertised price of the base fare) I really hate companies that hide behind the small print. It is obvious that the market is discounting the Epic vrs the larger class ships or I would be on the larger ships as I was loyal to RCI. This is NCL's chance to win my once/twice a year cruise dollars away. Like I said we are not off to a good start, and they also had a brochure promotion for 100 obc that went unanswred, I never did recieve the brochure, even after calling and confirming it would be sent. Other Canadians I have talked to also did not recieve this brochure promised by NCL. Bottom line is it pays to shop around, and NCL's web page is useful only for itineries. For a NCL cruise it pays to shop around and use a TA

Agree 100%. More and more cruise lines are getting restrictive as to what the TA's can offer. Sooner or later, it will become what the airlines did as the fare is the fare is the fare. When was the last time you booked an airline ticket with a TA. I can't even remember when - 1993?

As to Putercents comment of "Don't have me shop around, and 42 percent difference in price is UNEXCEPTABLE." There is no way one could get the same cruise, same cabin, booked typically at a reduction of 42% (If that what they mean anyway as UNACCEPTABLE (sp corrected). Last minute deals, maybe but unlikely.

Edited by blindrid

Starry Eyes I am not meaning to turn this into an ongoing rant so please do not percieve my retorts to be a blanket "I hate" post. lol Your analogy I think is spot on. NCLS' advertised price guarentee is smoke and mirrors(must read the small print). I contacted RCI and this type of pricing difference can not happen (you can still get perks, but no discount on the advertised price of the base fare) I really hate companies that hide behind the small print. It is obvious that the market is discounting the Epic vrs the larger class ships or I would be on the larger ships as I was loyal to RCI. This is NCL's chance to win my once/twice a year cruise dollars away. Like I said we are not off to a good start, and they also had a brochure promotion for 100 obc that went unanswred, I never did recieve the brochure, even after calling and confirming it would be sent. Other Canadians I have talked to also did not recieve this brochure promised by NCL. Bottom line is it pays to shop around, and NCL's web page is useful only for itineries. For a NCL cruise it pays to shop around and use a TA

I have never found a fare through an online TA for any cruise that I've booked that was less than what the cruise line offered (either NCL or CCL), other than maybe the high end suites. Not saying it doesn't happen, obviously it does, but I have yet to experience it.