Military OBC

Northshorecruisers

No...nothing like that. The airlines give military, traveling in uniform, under orders a discount and prefered boarding ( united) ahead of First class.

Gotta be active

If you are retired, on pass, liberty .... no only traveling to a TDY or Perm assignment.

I loooked a t a lot of special discount for like Military, Public Safety Officers etc and it only applied to upper level cabins, far more spendy than the basics. In otherwords not a good value maybe 5%

smoke en if ya' got em'

I was just over on the Princess board and was reading that they give $100 OBC to Military personnel. Does HAL do anything like that?

Actually, it's $50 for 6 days or fewer, $100 for 7-13 days, and $250 for 14 or more days. It's also combinable with other offers.

I wonder why all the Carnival Corp. brands don't do the same.

Actually, it's $50 for 6 days or fewer, $100 for 7-13 days, and $250 for 14 or more days. It's also combinable with other offers.

I wonder why all the Carnival Corp. brands don't do the same.

The brands are independently operated... PCL and CCL have perks and HAL does not because they are approaching the same situation differently.

When I worked at HAL the trainer had mentioned they "won't ever do anything for retired military for the same reason they would never have senior discounts..."

The brands are independently operated... PCL and CCL have perks and HAL does not because they are approaching the same situation differently.

When I worked at HAL the trainer had mentioned they "won't ever do anything for retired military for the same reason they would never have senior discounts..."

...... and that reason was what? :confused:

Too many people would qualify?

From a business perspective, I can understand HAL not offering discounts - especially to seniors. There likely would just be too many pax who qualify.

But surely to offer active duty military a little OBC, who aren't exactly HAL's largest demo, might be a nice incentive. Especially since HAL has indicated they want to be more "family-friendly."

And no, I'm not active duty. But I am the proud daughter of a retired USAF officer. :)

Princess gives Military to active and retired....very nice perk.....which is a big incentive for us with Princess along with stock, FCC, Elite benefits. I understand they are all under the CLL banner but separate companies...but I would think there perks would be similar...but they are all very different .:confused:

Princess past guest program and military discounts are superior to anything at Holland America. Great marketing. Holland America may have to beef up the rewards to keep loyal guests returning as they deal with an aging fleet of ships. Many 3, 4 Star mariners are looking elsewhere as the AC/plumbing/service problems rear their ugly heads. Holland America is not what it used to be.

Princess past guest program and military discounts are superior to anything at Holland America. Great marketing. Holland America may have to beef up the rewards to keep loyal guests returning as they deal with an aging fleet of ships. Many 3, 4 Star mariners are looking elsewhere as the AC/plumbing/service problems rear their ugly heads. Holland America is not what it used to be.

I'll second that!

Is the OBC, in and of ITSELF, enough reason for you to sail Princess vs. HAL?

Is that the deciding factor?

Please do not read anything more into the question other than sheer curiousity about just what I asked.

Princess gives Military to active and retired....<snip>

...and veterans with an honorable discharge who served a minimum of 2 years (or 6 months in an active war zone) as well. This applies to US, UK and Canadian vets. Greatly increases the numbers of eligible passengers. It is a nice recognition of past and present service.

Is the OBC, in and of ITSELF, enough reason for you to sail Princess vs. HAL?

Is that the deciding factor? <snip>

For us, there has never been a circumstance where all other things were equal between choosing a Princess or HAL cruise. Hypothetically though, if that were the case, we'd likely choose Princess for this reason. All other things for us include time frame, length of cruise and itinerary in particular as we've found, for us, that most of the rest is fairly equal or, at least, inconsequential.

...and veterans with an honorable discharge who served a minimum of 2 years (or 6 months in an active war zone) as well. This applies to US, UK and Canadian vets. Greatly increases the numbers of eligible passengers. It is a nice recognition of past and present service. <snip>

Well, then, DH certainly qualifies.

Perhaps we should move over to Princess? :rolleyes:

No...... won't be doing that. :D

The great Princess perks are very desirable..especially with most lines charging for so many more things that used to be included...so with all things being equal on dates, price, itinerary, etc...yeah. I would pick Princess every time.

But the cruise I am considering on HAL is much cheaper, better ports...so i am willing to mix it up....kind of adds a bit if spice to the trip when it is something new and different and not so predictable. :)

I don't know if the $100 OBC would be worthwhile enough to get my son (active duty) to book w/Princess. I'm thinking he would more than likely just go for a cheaper cabin. We sailed Princess when he was 16 and he said he preferred HAL at that time due to the quality of service. The crew on our ship were very disgruntled and let everyone know.

Archived