Ultimate Beverage Package...

azgkrudi

My thoughts keep going to cruises that cater to the college crowd. The abuse could be crazy. Whether they are cheating the system or just drinking to excess. When the first overboard incident happens and they interview passengers who comment on " how drunk those kids were all week" and lawsuits happen things may change.

The college age kids are one thing to me but the drunk seniors dancing there way back up to the bar in their bathing suits before noon the day we visited Jolly Beach resort in Antigua is a whole other story to me. Sorry but that is disgustingly yucky to me!! Ewww

Well Karysa NCL is a pioneer in a lot of things, this not being one of them. It has obviously worked for other cruiselines without anyone falling overboard (at least not due to the drinking package). Yes some will abuse it, just as some abuse the soda card. And so far it's been tried on at least 4 ships and nobody has come back and complained about drunk passengers or passengers falling overboard.

I'm just glad that if they are doing this that there is a choice and I don't have to pay big bucks for someone else to enjoy adult beverages. Then as long as they are not fallling all over me or being down right obnoxious near me, have-at-her, have fun.

I think everyone is getting worked up over nothing. They had it on our Sun cruise, a few people bought it and we didn't see any stumbling drunks or out of control people. Pesonally I think it is a great option and it adds value to the freestyle concept. You want all inclusive drinks? No problem, $50 a day and you got it. NCL has always been about choices, this is just another choice.

I think everyone is getting worked up over nothing. They had it on our Sun cruise, a few people bought it and we didn't see any stumbling drunks or out of control people. Pesonally I think it is a great option and it adds value to the freestyle concept. You want all inclusive drinks? No problem, $50 a day and you got it. NCL has always been about choices, this is just another choice.

Well said. I think it's probably because it's new and people seem very wary when something new comes out.

I dont think that an 10/11 day Nov/Dec crowd is the type to purchase a beverage package at the cost of $50 a day. I am not surprised that only a few packages were sold. No wonder it was a non issue on a 2000+ passenger ship.

There is no maximum drink amount. Someone asked how you learn about it - the way we heard about it was in the lobby area upon embarkation. They had a table set up selling the Ultimate Beverage Package, the soda package and the bottled water package. We had to wait in line for about 10 minutes but it was obviously well worth it!

Throughout embarkation day we noticed that the beverage package was advertised at each bar, as well. But if you snooze, you lose. I don't think you can purchase it after the first day.

What does that work out in consumed calories or in hours on the treadmill?:eek:

Well I couldn't wait for the answer any longer and figured it out roughly on my own, give or take.:D

Morning mimosa. .... 150 calories

3 afternoon poolside piña coladas 1500 calories

Glass of wine at dinner 125 calories

After dinner Irish coffee 200 calories

2 night time cocktails say vodka and cranberries 400 calories...

That is about 2375 extra calories and about 5 hours :eek:per day:eek: extra on the treadmill walking at a decent clip of 4 mph:eek:

Was that on the Brouchure!:D

Oh bummer now, I know where the weight gain comes from on my cruises, love my pina coladas :( hmmm more salads for me. :D

Well here's a way to save on calories, cost and (unfortunately) taste. :D

If you purchase a bucket of (Coors Light) at the Happy Hour 2 for 1 special pricing you can consume 12 beers for a measly 1212 calories for just over $30!!

Well I couldn't wait for the answer any longer and figured it out roughly on my own, give or take.:D

Morning mimosa. .... 150 calories

3 afternoon poolside piña coladas 1500 calories

Glass of wine at dinner 125 calories

After dinner Irish coffee 200 calories

2 night time cocktails say vodka and cranberries 400 calories...

That is about 2375 extra calories and about 5 hours :eek:per day:eek: extra on the treadmill walking at a decent clip of 4 mph:eek:

Was that on the Brouchure!:D

Oh no no no, I do NOT drink frou-frou calorie laden drinks. I stick with vodka or gin, mixed with club soda, so each drink is around 100 calories. I had a total of 2 mimosas all week, and a couple Miller Lites washed down my five dollar pizza one night. Believe it or not, I didn't gain a pound! I just about hugged the scale :)

well said, if you dont like this new offer, dont bother yourself with it :)

Oh no no no, I do NOT drink frou-frou calorie laden drinks. I stick with vodka or gin, mixed with club soda, so each drink is around 100 calories. I had a total of 2 mimosas all week, and a couple Miller Lites washed down my five dollar pizza one night. Believe it or not, I didn't gain a pound! I just about hugged the scale :)

Ya I have sworn at and hugged my scale post vacation to LOL.

Does anyone have a list of ships that are currently running this drinks package ?

We board Spirit this coming Friday and I hope it's available on there

Someone started a thread asking that 2 days ago and received no replies.

The only ships I have seen so far mentioned are the Sun, Gem, Jade and Epic.

The fact that a la carte drink packages are prohibitively expensive for big drinkers is probably one reason why cruising has not historically appealed to young people. Some of us like being heavily intoxicated on vacation :) Offering a more affordable option for those who want to drink heavily is a way for the cruiseline to broaden their demographic appeal. If it ends up alienating more passengers than it attracts they'll get rid of it. I wouldn't worry about it ruining your cruise. The people you're worried about have no more desire to interact with you than you with them. Just avoid the disco after 11 p.m. and you'll be fine.

I just boarded the Epic and here is info on the Ultimate Beverage Package:

Includes:

Unlimited house, call and premium brand spirit beverage charges at bars, lounges and restaurants not exceeding $6.25

Wine in bars & restaurants not exceeding $10

NCL house wines by glass

Wine selection is subject to change

Unlimited fountain soda

Domestic (US) & import beer (varies by itinerary) not exceeding $5.50

One drink per guest, per order

Excludes:

Room service beverage orders

Promotional package sales

Super premium and ultra premium brands

Wine or liquor by the bottle

Purchases from mini bar

Canned sodas

Red Bull

Fresh squeezed juices

Hoes d'oeuvres and/or any food items

Specialty coffee beverages of any kind

Specialty beer (more than $5.50 in price)

Bottled water of any kind in any area

Cigarettes, cigars

Souvenir glassware

I just boarded the Epic and here is info on the Ultimate Beverage Package:

Includes:

Unlimited house, call and premium brand spirit beverage charges at bars, lounges and restaurants not exceeding $6.25

Wine in bars & restaurants not exceeding $10

NCL house wines by glass

Wine selection is subject to change

Unlimited fountain soda

Domestic (US) & import beer (varies by itinerary) not exceeding $5.50

One drink per guest, per order

Excludes:

Room service beverage orders

Promotional package sales

Super premium and ultra premium brands

Wine or liquor by the bottle

Purchases from mini bar

Canned sodas

Red Bull

Fresh squeezed juices

Hoes d'oeuvres and/or any food items

Specialty coffee beverages of any kind

Specialty beer (more than $5.50 in price)

Bottled water of any kind in any area

Cigarettes, cigars

Souvenir glassware

This is very helpful, thanks for taking the time to type it all out. It sounds like it's not as good a deal as I thought. Others had said any drink under $10 was included. The $6.25 cutoff probably excludes most frozen drinks like daiquiris, pina coladas, mud slides, etc., right? I'm less likely to purchase the package under these terms.

The fact that a la carte drink packages are prohibitively expensive for big drinkers is probably one reason why cruising has not historically appealed to young people. Some of us like being heavily intoxicated on vacation :) Offering a more affordable option for those who want to drink heavily is a way for the cruiseline to broaden their demographic appeal. If it ends up alienating more passengers than it attracts they'll get rid of it. I wouldn't worry about it ruining your cruise. The people you're worried about have no more desire to interact with you than you with them. Just avoid the disco after 11 p.m. and you'll be fine.

This is a really good point. Some of us adults go on vacation to relax and have a few cocktails (which contibutes to the happiness). I believe the beverage plan is a good one for the customer (us). If someone is worried about adults being offensive to teenagers, please do not bring your teenagers into the adult areas, which are pretty much all over the ship because they are the money makers for the cruiseline. What is funny to some may not be funny to others but really that is life. I believe there are cruiselines that are more family focused aren't there?

This is very helpful, thanks for taking the time to type it all out. It sounds like it's not as good a deal as I thought. Others had said any drink under $10 was included. The $6.25 cutoff probably excludes most frozen drinks like daiquiris, pina coladas, mud slides, etc., right? I'm less likely to purchase the package under these terms.

My husband drank mudslides almost every day under the beverage package, they WERE included. I think the 6.25 cutoff is, what the contents of the liquor they put in the drink would cost. We were on the Pearl's first week of the introduction to the package, so they may not have had everything ironed out yet. We may have gotten lucky...

Great to see the information first hand. Thanks for posting.

Exactly....keep in mind that each time you will need to sign the slip as that is how they track inventory. Also, even though the 15% was included we always tipped additional amounts when warranted.

Archived