Ultimate Beverage Package...

azgkrudi

This is the flyer that was posted at the Pool Bar on Norwegian Sky this past week (photo taken embarkation day) . . .

Ultimate%20Beverage%20Pkg-XL.jpg

Is the last paragraph on the form that you sign to purchase this package? If its not then I would like to see NCL include it.

I see additional staterooms under the same folio must also purchase the package. I wonder what they do in the case of a family traveling with one adult and child in one stateroom, and the spouse and other child in another stateroom, but paid for with different credit cards, and therefore with two different master folio numbers? Would only one adult then have to purchase the package?

I see additional staterooms under the same folio must also purchase the package. I wonder what they do in the case of a family traveling with one adult and child in one stateroom, and the spouse and other child in another stateroom, but paid for with different credit cards, and therefore with two different master folio numbers? Would only one adult then have to purchase the package?

Sounds like that would work. I thought kids had to purchase the soda package as well or am I confusing that with a different line.

Excellent. Then contrary to some posters thoughts on this thread I did choose the correct cruise line for my family.:)

I am very glad you agree. NCL is a wonderful cruiseline for families. I like to think people are pretty responsible and do their best at being responsible. :)

You are probably correct that, that is how it would work. Unless they find this is happening too much and then they may stick with their policy of having children in connecting cabins and not turning a blind eye when people book one cabin under one parent and child and the other cabin under the other parent and child and then do the switch around onboard with NCL's blessing.

You are probably correct that, that is how it would work. Unless they find this is happening too much and then they may stick with their policy of having children in connecting cabins and not turning a blind eye when people book one cabin under one parent and child and the other cabin under the other parent and child and then do the switch around onboard with NCL's blessing.

We always book this way on Carnival so that we can each get stockholders $100 credits (since we both own stock). So it came to my mind since it's how we book anyway (and we often book rooms across the hall from each other rather than connecting.

and we often book rooms across the hall from each other rather than connecting.

I'm sure you do, that was my point. If this happens often that couples are avoiding paying the couples amount by finding loop holes and they are not making their predicted profits because of it. One of two things will happen, they will either not turn a blind eye anymore to these parents who are not following their policy and not booking children in a connecting cabin then doing the switch around onboard or scrap the whole beverage package.

I'm sure you do, that was my point. If this happens often that couples are avoiding paying the couples amount by finding loop holes and they are not making their predicted profits because of it. One of two things will happen, they will either not turn a blind eye anymore to these parents who are not following their policy and not booking children in a connecting cabin then doing the switch around onboard or scrap the whole beverage package.

There is not much to switch on board really because the stewards have one room set up for a couple with the beds pushed together on embarkation day and one set up as separate beds for the teens in our case. They should just scrap this and do what Carnival and others do and just keep families within a few cabins of each other IMO. It's a joke really.

I would possibly get it for 1 day, since I don't drink much but would like to try it, but my DH doesn't drink, so for me it would be a waste of money. I don't like the fact that everyone has to buy it. Not cool.

Kelly

Apparently, one of the main reasons that NCL is doing this package is because they have discovered that passengers consume more alcohol at the beginning of the cruise and although they may loose money on this package for a few days, over a 7, 9, 10 , or 11 day cruise they end up making money. It makes sense because many times sea days are at the beginning of the cruise and people are on board eating, drinking and enjoying the ship and then comes the port days and by the end with all the fun and sun comes the exhaustion and the packing up for home so consumption of alcohol goes down. Selling it on a per day basis would make little or no business sense to me.

I would possibly get it for 1 day, since I don't drink much but would like to try it, but my DH doesn't drink, so for me it would be a waste of money. I don't like the fact that everyone has to buy it. Not cool.

Kelly

As you can see in post #93 it is not possible to only order this for one day, "under the same portfolio for the entire length of the cruise"

There is not much to switch on board really because the stewards have one room set up for a couple with the beds pushed together on embarkation day and one set up as separate beds for the teens in our case. They should just scrap this and do what Carnival and others do and just keep families within a few cabins of each other IMO. It's a joke really.

I for one would like to see a way for NCL to control this and find a way to enforce their own policy instead of turning a blind eye.

One of my pet peeves is irresponsible parents who believe little Johnnys will be behaved, quiet and respectful without supervision when they are not within earshot. Meanwhile the cabin next to them have to put up with the shenanigans of someone else's noisey children because the parents cannot hear them across the hall.

Our last cruise we had children next door that decided the bed made a good trampoline and kept bouncing into the shared wall.

Off the Star yesterday and the package was available there. I did not see a lot of activity with guest buying the plan. Seems it was of little interest on our cruise and was not well advertised. I did reboard one day with a group of four that had the package and the comment coming up the ramp was, "we've missed a whole day of drinking on the package and need to get started to make up for it tonight". Never saw them again, but do know there was no signs of any excessive drinking more than we are used to seeing on a cruise.

I don't think it has taken off as well as some would expect. We didn't take it as we never could drink that much and still be functional!!!:D

I just don't get how this policy will make the company money. Most people drink more at open bars compared to cash bars. Sure some smuggling is averted but many people who drink like a couple of drinks on the balcony prior to dinner may not want to spend $50+ dollars a day on booze and still smuggle their bottle on board. Another negative to me is that I think that some people might take their auto tips off to off set their bar bill.

Anyone see this as being a money maker for the cruise line with no collateral damage to other guests or staff?

Sounds like a good deal when you get the package...but in reality...most people wouldn't use up 5 drinks a day (especially on port days) and there will be ones that get their money's worth, but I don't think the majority will drink that much. Also, I'm not sure I want all the extra calories of the drinks. I think I'd rather eat my calories! LOL

Personally, I don't feel people who drink a lot are going to drink more necessarily by having the package. If I choose the package it will be out of convenience. The first few days we typically do drink more (and that would be a lot more than 5-6 drinks a piece). Then as the cruise goes on, we drink less. We spend roughly 700-800 for a 7 day cruise on alcohol alone. Sometimes more, it depends on sea days, how we're feeling, etc. Buying the package would be about a "wash" for us. Some cruises we might come ahead and some cruises we may not break even.

I would still buy it for the convenience and to ensure I wasn't giving my BF dirty looks when he orders another drink if we had been overspending already ;)

I think NCL will make money because it is guaranteed revenue that they did not have before for those that order it....and many will not use it to the full "value" had they purchased drinks ala carte. Many that do use it for the full value may not have drank as many drinks during the cruise and would have spent less (although they still won't be obnoxious drunks...either you drink to that excess or you don't. If you do, you still do it paying individually). There were drunks on ships prior to an all inclusive option and there still will be after it's offered.

Personally, I don't feel people who drink a lot are going to drink more necessarily by having the package. If I choose the package it will be out of convenience. The first few days we typically do drink more (and that would be a lot more than 5-6 drinks a piece). Then as the cruise goes on, we drink less. We spend roughly 700-800 for a 7 day cruise on alcohol alone. Sometimes more, it depends on sea days, how we're feeling, etc. Buying the package would be about a "wash" for us. Some cruises we might come ahead and some cruises we may not break even.

I would still buy it for the convenience and to ensure I wasn't giving my BF dirty looks when he orders another drink if we had been overspending already ;)

I think NCL will make money because it is guaranteed revenue that they did not have before for those that order it....and many will not use it to the full "value" had they purchased drinks ala carte. Many that do use it for the full value may not have drank as many drinks during the cruise and would have spent less (although they still won't be obnoxious drunks...either you drink to that excess or you don't. If you do, you still do it paying individually). There were drunks on ships prior to an all inclusive option and there still will be after it's offered.

I think it comes down to what you drink as much as how much alcohol you consume. There are lot's of limitations to this package so if you roughly are going to spend the same amount of money but you prefer to drink bottles of expensive wine and frozen cocktails along with lot's of beer the package does not seem like the way to go.

Also, what happens if you get sick from "what-ever illness" and can't drink for a few days do you get those days worth of money back? Probably not. I think NCL is banking on some early TKO's due to hangovers.:D

I think it comes down to what you drink as much as how much alcohol you consume. There are lot's of limitations to this package so if you roughly are going to spend the same amount of money but you prefer to drink bottles of expensive wine and frozen cocktails along with lot's of beer the package does not seem like the way to go.

Also, what happens if you get sick from "what-ever illness" and can't drink for a few days do you get those days worth of money back? Probably not. I think NCL is banking on some early TKO due to hangovers.:D

Exactly, the devil is in the details. It doesn't seem like anyone has much sense what's included in the package at this point, including NCL. Some have said there is a $10/drink limit, others $6.25/drinks, and others have said bartenders will pour you pretty much anything you want if you tip them. If the package really is all you can drink (i.e., all drinks under $10), we will consider purchasing it on our next cruise. But if it excludes martinis, frozen drinks, drinks of the day, etc. it won't be worth it for us.

It will always be worth it for NCL. I posted some math earlier in this thread to show how profitable this will be for the cruiseline in all events. Even for a big drinker like me (maybe 10 or more drinks per day on an at sea day) the cruise line will come out far ahead. Even someone who drinks 20 drinks a day will be a big money maker for them with this package.

Assume the average retail cost of a typical bottle of good spirits is $40 for 1.75L (which is being liberal; I saw a 1.75L bottle of Kettle for $33 the other day here in Chicago; you can get a 1.75L bottle of Bacardi for $25). That means the wholesale cost is probably no more than $25, again being very liberal. 1.75L = about 60 ounces = 30 drinks at 2 ounces per drink (again being liberal -- a typical pour is supposed to be 1.5 ounces per drink). So at $25/bottle, which is on the very high end of the cruiseline's cost, they're paying at the absolute most 83 cents per drink for alcohol (and probably less). At 83 cents per drink and 20 drinks, the cruiseline's alcohol cost is $16.60 per day in the case of this hypothetical binge drinker. This is an *extremely* heavy drinker. I consider myself a heavy drinker when I'm on vacation and there is no way I could come close to 20 drinks. The cost of the drink package is $49. That's almost a 200% profit margin on the alcohol.

Granted, alcohol is only part of the cruiseline's total cost (mixers, salaries, insurance, cost of the ship, entertainment, etc.). But the 200% figure is the absolute worst case minimum profit on the alcohol. At lower wholesale prices and for moderate to heavy (but less extreme) drinkers, the alcohol profit will be even more astronomical. And keep in mind most of the overhead costs are fixed; the cruiseline is paying those costs whether or not passengers purchase the drink package. So every package they sell is like mana from heaven for them.

I have a question regarding being on the same folio.

My mother is taking my sister's family and my family on Breakaway.

We have 4 cabins and booked together (my mother paid the deposit and also

paying for the final payment).

Cabin 1: My mother and dd (19)

Cabin 2: My dh, ds and I (ds 15)

Cabin 3: My sister and 2 of her young children

Cabin 4: My bil and 1 child

So, if my mother used one credit card for all of our cabins, we would all

need to get the package, is that correct?

If we want to make it work that my mother wouldn't have to pay for the package,

we would need to use our own credit cards for our staterooms, is that correct?

BUT, as someone has stated we can purchase before we board, I wonder if we can just purchase per cabin and not folio?

Also, is it correct that frozen drinks are not included? If we purchased a drink that was more than the amount we are allowed to spend, can we pay the difference (for instance, premium liquor)?

Does this all make sense? Thank you.

I believe on Carnival the folio is based on the credit card you put on file to pay for on board expenses, NOT based on how the cruise itself was paid for - not sure if that's how NCL does it.

I have a question regarding being on the same folio.

My mother is taking my sister's family and my family on Breakaway.

We have 4 cabins and booked together (my mother paid the deposit and also

paying for the final payment).

Cabin 1: My mother and dd (19)

Cabin 2: My dh, ds and I (ds 15)

Cabin 3: My sister and 2 of her young children

Cabin 4: My bil and 1 child

So, if my mother used one credit card for all of our cabins, we would all

need to get the package, is that correct?

If we want to make it work that my mother wouldn't have to pay for the package,

we would need to use our own credit cards for our staterooms, is that correct?

BUT, as someone has stated we can purchase before we board, I wonder if we can just purchase per cabin and not folio?

Also, is it correct that frozen drinks are not included? If we purchased a drink that was more than the amount we are allowed to spend, can we pay the difference (for instance, premium liquor)?

Does this all make sense? Thank you.

Archived