Wireless internet on the Explorer

Jenn31708

I'm doing a 10 day in March. Unfortunately, there's a part of my job that only I can do so I must remotely log into work from my laptop for about 20 minutes each day.

I know I have to log in initially with one of the ship's computers, then I will be able to use my laptop.

Where is the signal the best? Is there a certain spot on the ship where I would have the best luck?

The library is probably the most comfortable, but anywhere around the centrum seemed to have the best coverage.

Bandwidth isn't very good at times, so just make sure you are prepared for a slow connection, or if possible find out where you can can get internet on shore on port days.

I'm doing a 10 day in March. Unfortunately, there's a part of my job that only I can do so I must remotely log into work from my laptop for about 20 minutes each day.

I know I have to log in initially with one of the ship's computers, then I will be able to use my laptop.

Where is the signal the best? Is there a certain spot on the ship where I would have the best luck?

We always had luck up at Dizzys (Crown Viking) at top of ship

Guest Services will have a list of hotspots.

On Adventure (same class) Viking Lounge was nice and peaceful with an excellent wifi signal. Similarly deck 2 Conference Centre. The library signal was less effective and not in the hotspot list.... only really worked when sat right in the front.

Since this is work related, I will assume that your employer will be picking up the cost of the internet?:D

INTERNET CHARGES

The current fee is $.65 per minute

Pre-Paid Internet Packages:

$ 35 = 60 minutes or 58 cents a minute

$ 55 = 100 minutes or 55 cents a minute

$ 75 = 150 minutes or 50 cents a minute

$100 = 250 minutes or 40 cents a minute

$150 = 500 minutes or 30 cents a minute

Since this is work related, I will assume that your employer will be picking up the cost of the internet?:D

INTERNET CHARGES

The current fee is $.65 per minute

Pre-Paid Internet Packages:

$ 35 = 60 minutes or 58 cents a minute

$ 55 = 100 minutes or 55 cents a minute

$ 75 = 150 minutes or 50 cents a minute

$100 = 250 minutes or 40 cents a minute

$150 = 500 minutes or 30 cents a minute

Yes, they will be. Thankfully!! :D

We were on the explorer Nov 15,2012 and we tried our laptop at all the hotspots that were listed in the brochure from guest services. The best and most consistent connection we found was in the viking crown lounge (dizzys) on deck 14 sitting near any window in the lounge. Connection was fast enough for us to skype.

I got off Explorer today and would also say the Viking Lounge (Dizzy's) was consistently the best.

I was surprised to pick up a signal in my stateroom, 8593, a promenade room about a third of the way down from the centrum. Not sure if I was getting the iCafe (I was on the 8th floor) or the Pub hotspot. Unsurprisingly, early morning or late night seemed to be the best.

The Hotel Director did mention that the switch to a day-rate, rather than per minute, would happen sometime, but no definite timescale (there was a recent thread about this on another ship). Explorer will not get pervasive WiFi until dry dock in 2014, I wonder if they will wait until then.

I got off Explorer today and would also say the Viking Lounge (Dizzy's) was consistently the best.

I was surprised to pick up a signal in my stateroom, 8593, a promenade room about a third of the way down from the centrum. Not sure if I was getting the iCafe (I was on the 8th floor) or the Pub hotspot. Unsurprisingly, early morning or late night seemed to be the best.

The Hotel Director did mention that the switch to a day-rate, rather than per minute, would happen sometime, but no definite timescale (there was a recent thread about this on another ship). Explorer will not get pervasive WiFi until dry dock in 2014, I wonder if they will wait until then.

I was also on this cruise, and had a corner aft cabin on deck 9. I, too, was surprised to find that I had a signal there. It was by no means fast, though. The "hot spot" list included the Solarium, and I had no success there at all. Royal Online, on deck 8, and Viking Crown lounge were the best areas for me.

Archived