transportation to pearl harbor

weston gal

My husband and I went to the Arizona Memorial on our first trip to Hawaii. However, we did not see the Missouri and Bowfish. Since we are in our 70s and he walks with a cane and is slow, is there publilc transportation to these sites, and woud it be advisable? I have looked online at The Bus website, but it is confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

It all depends on how much time you have, where you are coming from, and how budget conscious you are. We will be staying in Waikiki pre-POA cruise and researched many ways to get to Pearl Harbor. The Bus is definitely the cheapest way, and many CC members will recommend it, but we felt our time on the island with a higher level of flexibility was more important than saving a little money.

There are several companies that offer tours or shuttles from the Waikiki hotels, but some of the reviews are mixed. On the Hawaii23 website they have a list of recommended drivers for transportation to and from Pearl Harbor, though I have no personal experience with any of them.

A private driver or taxi would give you the greatest flexibility at the greatest cost. We ultimately decided to rent a car for the day with pick-up and drop-off near our hotel in Waikiki, though we are not looking forward to battling the traffic.

Good luck!

TheBus is the way to go, if public transport is what you want. We have traveled all over on Oahu on TheBus, and will again next year when we go again. It really isn't hard, do some research, just know where you want to go, and compare it to their schedules and routes on line.

However, it sounds like mobility is an issue. A taxi might be the better option, and a better use of your time.

If you are leaving the same day, and planning this after a cruise, a car rental is another great option. Your bags are with you, you can have a day of touring and drive yourself to the airport. :) Several car rentals have shuttles at the port.

Hi -

Taxi is your best bet .... No need to take a tour....

The ticket booths for the USS Missouri and USS Bowfin are at the same place as the Arizona. From there it is a short walk to the Bowfin... There is a bus that takes you from the Arizona over to the Missouri. (Ford Island is a controlled area.)

Aloha,

John

I am going to focus on another part of the OP's post. Since we are in our 70's, I feel I can relate if the gentleman uses a cane I would wonder about being on the "ladders" on the Missouri and the Bowfin. I know that we have gone to the Missouri several years ago, and wouldn't attempt to visit the ship again. We couldn't get around. Also, we have never done a visit to Bowfin--tried another submarine years ago, and the claustrophobia got us both.

I feel that visit to either requires a certain degree of agility.

As far as transportation, I would recommend a taxi if only in port for one day. That being said, we visit the USS Arizona every year and use TheBus because we are on Oahu for more than 3 weeks since we have time.

I would say just take a cab. That is what we did post POA cruise. It wasn't that expensive and was pretty worry free. There is no reason to schedule/pay for a tour. You can just purchase your tickets when you get there. Taking a cab was good for us because we didn't have to worry about knowing how to get there, missing bus stops ect. I would do this: unless there is other things you want to do in addition to Pearl Harbour then cab costs would add up and the bus or car rental would be a better option.

Just a reminder that if your reserving tickets for a certain day you have to make sure you pick them up an hour before. There is lots of seating once you get there both shaded and other. Also no bags or purses, no food can be taken in.

You can take a camera but not the camera bag and they have a check in to safely secure your things for a fee of course.

Archived