Dock Strike

Murphs

So there is talk of a dock strike that news outlests are reporting could impact port facilities from Main all the way to Texas. Supposedly negotiations between the international longshormens association and United States Maritime Alliance have broken down and a end of year strike is looming. Anyone know if or how that could affect operations at Port Everglades? Just curious.

Mike

That's weird if it's national - I live in Long Beach (2nd largest port in the US) and I haven't heard anything about it, and it would have been all over our news.

We just had a strike here by the clerks, the longshoremen honored their picket lines and it was a mess. It shut the cargo part of the ports of both Long Beach and LA down for 8 days. It was not well received by the the community.

Maybe the longshoremen problem isn't nationwide, but regional?

Lydia

If the strike happens, it will affect all ports from Maine to Houston including Baltimore and port Everglades. The current contract extension expires on Dec 30 at 12:01. There were talks this week according to NJ.com and CNNMoney which did not go so well, but there are still 10 days left in the month so we will have to see what happens.

Other threads have indicated that any stoppage would not affect the cruise lines as they are exempt from the contracts in question.

That does not mean that other unions might not honor the picket lines causing an impact. For example, AFL-CIO drivers might not enter the port facility if union picket lines are in place.

We will need to see what happens.

The curent contract between the International Longshoremen Assocaition and USMX is set to expire on December 29th.

The contract covers ports from Maine to Texas.

Ther are no plans to disrupt any passenger ships within the ILA territory.

It's is being circulated that management will lock out the ILA on December 30th.

If this action is taken cruise ships will be affected by this action. As they will not have labor to handle them.

I would suggest you keep in contact with your cruise line to see what will happen if this action by management occurs.

It's is being circulated that management will lock out the ILA on December 30th.

If this action is taken cruise ships will be affected by this action. As they will not have labor to handle them.

I would suggest you keep in contact with your cruise line to see what will happen if this action by management occurs.

Per ABC news (and others have reported as well): "A strike wouldn't affect passenger cruise ships, U.S. mail, military cargo or perishable cargo with a limited shelf life."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/strike-looms-east-gulf-coast-ports-18019356#.UNXLVXeQNPg

I see no direct impact from the strike against cruise ships. however, there might be, as I stated in an earlier post, an indirect impact if other unions, specifically AFL-CIO drivers support the strike. We won;t know indirect impact unless and until a strike happens. neither will the cruise lines.

Per ABC news (and others have reported as well): "A strike wouldn't affect passenger cruise ships, U.S. mail, military cargo or perishable cargo with a limited shelf life."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/strike-looms-east-gulf-coast-ports-18019356#.UNXLVXeQNPg

I see no direct impact from the strike against cruise ships. however, there might be, as I stated in an earlier post, an indirect impact if other unions, specifically AFL-CIO drivers support the strike. We won;t know indirect impact unless and until a strike happens. neither will the cruise lines.

They are 2 different type of labor actions.

The lock out by management would not let any ILA workers on any of the piers.

As a srike would allow ILA on the piers to handle certain types of cargo and jobs.

They are 2 different type of labor actions.

The lock out by management would not let any ILA workers on any of the piers.

As a srike would allow ILA on the piers to handle certain types of cargo and jobs.

That makes sense. I missed that previously. Thank you for the clarification!

The ILA's website specifically directs its members to handle all requests from passenger ships during the strike. So, I dont see any issues.

Steve

You are correct the ILA website instructs it's members to handle crusie ship.

BUT as I posted earlier this will not be a strike but a lockout by management. thus all previous directives from the union would not apply as they will not be allowed to do their job as management will not let them in to do it.

Can someone point me to some information indicating that this is a lockout as opposed to a strike? All I'm seeing is a strike threat, not lockout... thanks...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-port-strike-20121220,0,6551263.story

The alliance is expected to meet Thursday to discuss options, including the possibility of a lockout, which would bar workers from the docks.

The ILA's website specifically directs its members to handle all requests from passenger ships during the strike. So, I dont see any issues.

Steve

There would be issues as a lockout is an action taken by management that would stop any strike action and a lockout would involve all ILA workers not being allowed to work the docks for any type of ship. It would be a management action that would shut down all operations at a port handled by ILA workers.

It is the same type of action that is currently being taken by the NHL owners against their players union the NHLPA.

Archived