Stop Avalanche of Brochures

texpeditious

I was reminded of this thread today when I emptied my mailbox that was full of holiday season junk mail including several Regent brochures.

Six months ago, I followed the advice in this thread & emailed FDR to request that I be removed from the mailing list. (After two failed attempts to stop it by emailing Regent.)

The good news is that he responded almost immediately & indicated he would take care of it. That seems an expensive way to administer mailing lists, but I was impressed.

The bad news is that 6 months later, I continue to receive massive amounts of mail from Regent & in addition, have started receiving mail from Oceania.

Our recycling bin is my first stop after getting my mail & that’s where the Regent brochures are deposited without inspection. It is annoying that some of the Regent brochures come wrapped in cellophane that I must remove by hand before putting them in the bin.

I sailed Regent once & don’t intend to again. It wasn’t a good fit for us & I posted my comments in this forum. Maybe this is Regent’s way of getting even? Or, maybe all-inclusive includes “free,” lifetime marketing brochures.

ps I have sailed extensively with Seabourn & Lindblad & receive a minimal amount of marketing material from them, so I think Regent is taking it to a different level.

Truly amazing how this customer non-service seems to continue at both Regent and Oceania as shown by an almost constant number of complaints from both boards about the home office lack of customer service. Would think based on some of the reports of how much the supposed executives monitor these boards that something would be done to move the non-service from the bottom of the barrel to some level that would be expected from Luxury and near Luxury cruise lines frequented by intelligent people.

Simply boggles the mind that companies that can provide such an excellent experience when on board the various ships can continue to provide such an unacceptable experience when dealing with the home office. This proves without a doubt the the non-service begins at the top when the COB can't even get the people who work from him to follow his directions. It's bad enough when the COB has to get involved with fixing such an easy minor nuisance but, after the initial fix, his people not only go back to their losing ways, they add insult to injury by adding to the unwanted mail by providing brochures for a different cruise line that were never asked for nor wanted.

Hardly instills any confidence that these companies will continue to exist for an extended period of time.

We love the brochures--we get the occasional large one thru the mail and emails as well. We still like to have printed copy in our hand. We've researched cabins, routes and used it as an easy reference guide. Sometimes it's just nice to sit on the sofa and look at a catalog as opposed to sitting at my desk and having to print things out. We tne dto book and rebook and then book again so works for us to receive them in the mail.

If you think Regent sends a lot--don't ever get on the Vantage mail list! But then again--we see something there and keep looking til we find what we want--on another line!

Regent keeps sending me all these brochures as well as Crystal, Silversea and others. I have tried to stop them. We only need one Atlas from all the lines to decide what trip we want. We are all inundated with junk mail. It really is crazy.

Regent will get you back one of these days:D We must sail with them too much because we only get email updates from them -- rarely any brochures.

Perhaps it is good for everyone to complain and get it out of their systems so they can start the new year with a positive attitude. Hope you are enjoying the holiday season!

Perhaps it would be good for everyone if Regent, Oceania, and PCH whould get their customer non-service act together so that we don't have to continually complain about valid issues that are continually ignored so we can start the new year with a positive attitude.

I just think sending out so many brouchures is a huge waste of paper and money. Obviously, the corporate office thinks otherwise, or they wouldn't do it. But it annoys me. Yesterday, I got 3 Regent, 2 Oceania, 1 AMA, and 1 Viking (haven't ever cruised with them) brouchures. That is ridiculous.

We've sailed with Regent 3 times, and we rarely receive anything in the mail. I always have to order a brochure from the website, and I never know which one I'll receive....where I can plan for more than 6 months out for instance. I just don't understand the inconsistency.....:confused:

rallydave: IMO, your posts regarding Regent are very inflammatory. Fortunately, this is Cruise Critic where all opinions are welcome. You have posted about your experience on Regent previously. While not disputing your experience, not everyone has an "unacceptable" experience when dealing with the home office. If they did, it would not be as difficult to get a booking as it is on many Regent and Oceania cruises.

The majority of cruisers are very satisfied with all aspects of Regent. Those that do not find Regent to their liking simply go on and sail with another cruise line.

Five years ago a few people predicted that Regent and/or Oceania will not be around for the long haul. Predictions also have Regent and Oceania merging. As Gordon Ramsay would say "rubbish"! Regent (and Oceania) will be sailing long after their new ship debuts in mid-2016.

In terms of mailings....... as a few people have said..... they are working as a marketing tool whether we like it or not. Fortunately, Regent's 3rd quarter earnings proves more than any of us can post http://finance.yahoo.com/news/regent-seven-seas-cruises-reports-140431325.html

In terms of mailings....... as a few people have said..... they are working as a marketing tool whether we like it or not. Fortunately, Regent's 3rd quarter earnings proves more than any of us can post http://finance.yahoo.com/news/regent-seven-seas-cruises-reports-140431325.html

If anyone wishes to be removed from our postal mail list and/or our e-mail list, please e-mail me at Frankdelrio@prestigecruiseholdings.com and I will see that your name and address is removed. The last thing we want to do is upset or annoy our past guests and waste money doing so.

My apologies.

FDR

I am not disputing that Regent offers a product that pleases many people or that it has a successful financial model.

My point is that if someone doesn't want to receive large amounts of trash in his/her mailbox (the same way we don't want to receive unwanted phone calls) we should be able to stop them. I think it is unethical for a company to ignore your requests to be removed from their mailing list.

I am also suggesting that when the Chairman & Chief Executive Officer makes an offer for which he received many kudos on this board, he ought to be able to honor it.

I get the impression that Travelcat2 says this behavior is acceptable because they are making money and that it is inappropriate to complain on this board about it.

I disagree & apologize to all I have offended.

And, I am having a very enjoyable holiday season.

I am not disputing that Regent offers a product that pleases many people or that it has a successful financial model.

My point is that if someone doesn't want to receive large amounts of trash in his/her mailbox (the same way we don't want to receive unwanted phone calls) we should be able to stop them. I think it is unethical for a company to ignore your requests to be removed from their mailing list.

I am also suggesting that when the Chairman & Chief Executive Officer makes an offer for which he received many kudos on this board, he ought to be able to honor it.

I get the impression that Travelcat2 says this behavior is acceptable because they are making money and that it is inappropriate to complain on this board about it.

I disagree & apologize to all I have offended.

And, I am having a very enjoyable holiday season.

You are correct. One should be able to unsubscribe to any and all information that comes from a company...regardless of whether they are making a profit or not.

I'm a long time cruiser with Regent and I'm sure I add to their profit structure, but I don't want to be part of the aformentioned marketing tool with a like it or not attitude. Does that mean that if I don't like it, I should find another line to sail on?

Suggest that those of you who wish to be omitted from Regent's mailing send an email to the President of Regent!

And, what would possibly make you think that would do any good?? Guess you missed the earlier post on this thread where an earlier poster took the COB of PCH's offer to write directly to him and he would make sure the mailings stopped. Well, he did make the mailings stop for awhile but, the mailings have begun again and in larger numbers as they now include Oceania brochures which the poster has never and will never cruise.

If the presidents boss can't stop the unwelcome brochures, how would someone who works for him and is probably severely overworked doing 3 jobs as triple president do any better??

And, what would possibly make you think that would do any good?? Guess you missed the earlier post on this thread where an earlier poster took the COB of PCH's offer to write directly to him and he would make sure the mailings stopped. Well, he did make the mailings stop for awhile but, the mailings have begun again and in larger numbers as they now include Oceania brochures which the poster has never and will never cruise.

If the presidents boss can't stop the unwelcome brochures, how would someone who works for him and is probably severely overworked doing 3 jobs as triple president do any better??

You won't know until you try.

We anxiously await the arrival of the "big" catalog and hope to find a new and interesting cruise - we keep this catalog with our other travel resources. We do not need to be reminded on a weekly basis. I have two homes and get catalogs at both places. When I am away from one home for a few weeks, nothing annoys me more then to open my mailbox and find everything is smashed because the mailman had to stuff 17 Regent/Oceania catalogs into the box. I am the treasurer of my condominium and we pay for sanitation services. We could not understand why our charges for paper recyclable was increasing so steadily so we investigated the amount being recycled. The number of Regent and Oceania catalogs were outright embarrassing - it looked like someone had just dumped boxes and boxes of these catalogs into our recycling bins.

gnomie :)

If anyone wishes to be removed from our postal mail list and/or our e-mail list, please e-mail me at Frankdelrio@prestigecruiseholdings.com and I will see that your name and address is removed. The last thing we want to do is upset or annoy our past guests and waste money doing so.

My apologies.

FDR

Last July after being deluged with brochures for a long time and, after several e-mails to Regent, contacting our TA and noting on our Regent profile to stop the brochure mailing madness, we took the gentleman's advice above.

The brochures from Regent stopped about 3 weeks later and have not been seen since.

We appreciate the attentive response and thank FDR.

The fact that Cruise Critic was the only source to stop the mailing madness and all attempts via Regent's service center and our TA to do that failed, says something less than excellent about one aspect of Regent. It also says something very good about CC!

Getting mail, brochures, catalogs, notices etc from premium cruise lines, I would think, ought be an elective option that premium cruise lines would tailor to each customer's desires.

If you like your brochures mailed, you should be able to keep them.

If you do not wish to get this kind of gorilla marketing, your cruise lines of choice ought give you that choice option too.

I digress; wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season and happy cruising.

___‹^›__‹(•¿•)›__‹^›___

This discussion is interesting, but frustrating for me; as I mentioned, some people are inundated with mailings, and there are those, like me, who receive nothing. Can anyone explain the inconsistency (Regent?) I agree that people should be able to opt out of unwanted mailings. I, however, would like to opt in so I receive what others are buried in!.....:)

This discussion is interesting, but frustrating for me; as I mentioned, some people are inundated with mailings, and there are those, like me, who receive nothing. Can anyone explain the inconsistency (Regent?) I agree that people should be able to opt out of unwanted mailings. I, however, would like to opt in so I receive what others are buried in!.....:)

Have you logged into your account on the Regent website and requested catalogs and future contact. That's all it took to open the "flood gates" of brochures and e-mail offerings!

Sheltieluv,

I've called Regent numerous times, year after year without much success; but I do receive almost daily brochures from Oceania.

Think Kilroyshere's post (#64) should be re-read as it explains quite simply how to stop mailings. Perhaps in the future there should be an easier way .... but for now, this will work.

As mentioned previously, we no longer receive the semi-annual books and I do miss them. But, on the list of things important in my life, this ranks quite low. When I need to look at cruises, there is the rssc.com website where I can even make cruise comparisons.

IMO, it is taking the majority of companies in the United States a long time to realize that most mail we receive is not read and goes directly into the recycle bin. One day there will no longer be mass mailings, newspapers, magazines or books. Some of us will be happy and others will have something new to post about.

In the meantime, hope everyone in the U.S. had time to reflect on what they are thankful for and now can look forward to a New Year -- one that may just be a bit better than 2013.

P.S. Clarification of last sentence..... to my knowledge, the only country celebrating Thanksgiving on November 29th is the United States.

Edited by Travelcat2

Think Kilroyshere's post (#64) should be re-read as it explains quite simply how to stop mailings. Perhaps in the future there should be an easier way .... but for now, this will work.

It does explain quite simply how to stop mailings. As I indicated in my previous post, I did exactly as prescribed. I got a response from FDR saying he would stop it. Nothing changed. I got 3 brochures on Wednesday and one today.

It doesn't work for everybody.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps it was something you said - or did!

I said or did nothing that would "delete" me from Regent.
I receive a large number of Oceania Brochures, but even when I request a Regent Brochure it never comes and I would like an up-to-date brochure from time to time. I find a brochure easier to use than the internet. Perhaps Regent's mailing list needs to be revised. Angie

Angie, I too would appreciate up-to-date brochures that include areas of my interest. The last brochure I ordered ended up featuring Europe-only cruises, which in my Regent profile I've indicated no interest in those. When ordering online, one has no idea of the type of brochure that will be coming. Having said that, the only way I seem to receive anything from Regent is to order from their website and just take a chance on what I'll receive. Ted C implies (hopefully he's joking) that I said or did something to be removed from Regent's customer base. Nothing could be further from the truth.