Random question....

ntvsdgrl

Because you all know everything, I was wondering why, while watching the Port Everglades webcam, it looks like the windows on the ships are "grayed out" before they leave. Yet when the ship leaves port and goes past the camera, you can see the windows.

See, I told you it was random. :D

It's not just the windows, it's the entire side of the ship. Sometimes they are grayed out, sometimes not. As there are sometimes several ships with the same gray area, all parked at different angles, it has nothing to do with the way the light hits it.

Maybe they are worried about someone nude sunbathing on their balcony. Only answer I can think of.

It's not just the windows, it's the entire side of the ship. Sometimes they are grayed out, sometimes not. As there are sometimes several ships with the same gray area, all parked at different angles, it has nothing to do with the way the light hits it.

Maybe they are worried about someone nude sunbathing on their balcony. Only answer I can think of.

That's what I noticed too. Initially when I was watching this morning the windows weren't grayed out and then right before departure they were.

I think you might be right about the nude sunbathing. ;)

Random answer: Maybe because its all the rich and famous passengers that don't want to be recognized or naked passengers that just got out of the shower and are drying off.I've done that,but at night.:eek:

I wonder if they didn't gray those areas, it would be possible for the photos to be enlarged to a point where folks could be recognized? If a person on board didn't give permission to have their photo published, especially from their cabin and/or balcony, maybe the passenger would have some recourse against the port cam owners...

Those in public spaces are likely 'fair game' to any photography...

The above was just another random answer...

I watch those cams all the time and have never seen anything "grayed" out. I don't even know how you'd do that as the cameras are streaming live??

I don't know either. I'm going to watch again this morning and afternoon and see if they do it again on the two Princess ships in port. They are scheduled to leave at 4pm eastern.

Maybe it's the angle of the camera lens and the sun? Maybe at that point they detail being washed out by glare. Is it the room areas itself or the whole side of the ship at that point?

No because it's only where the balconies would be. When the sun comes out, you'll see it more pronounced. It's hard to see the grayness right now.

Because you all know everything, I was wondering why, while watching the Port Everglades webcam, it looks like the windows on the ships are "grayed out" before they leave. Yet when the ship leaves port and goes past the camera, you can see the windows.

See, I told you it was random. :D

I'll expand on my earlier answer. But I'll try to keep it in prime-time TV English.

Video compression takes a lot of "shortcuts" to reduce the amount of data that the website and your computer have to deal with. One shortcut is to throw away pixels that aren't moving. To a certain degree.

• When the ship is moving past the camera, all the pixels are redrawn constantly (otherwise it would be a MESS).
  • When the ship is standing still, the pixels representing the balconies are not redrawn as often as the moving waves, the moving planes, the moving boats and so on.

This makes grey blobs appear where the compression algorithm sees less motion... it "doesn't care as much" about the stationary areas and you see those pixels redrawn less frequently because it's assumed you don't care as much about them.

Are you sorry you asked yet? :D

Rick

I'll expand on my earlier answer. But I'll try to keep it in prime-time TV English.

Video compression takes a lot of "shortcuts" to reduce the amount of data that the website and your computer have to deal with. One shortcut is to throw away pixels that aren't moving. To a certain degree.

• When the ship is moving past the camera, all the pixels are redrawn constantly (otherwise it would be a MESS).
  • When the ship is standing still, the pixels representing the balconies are not redrawn as often as the moving waves, the moving planes, the moving boats and so on.

This makes grey blobs appear where the compression algorithm sees less motion... it "doesn't care as much" about the stationary areas and you see those pixels redrawn less frequently because it's assumed you don't care as much about them.

Are you sorry you asked yet? :D

Rick

Not at all. I didn't understand a lot of what you said but the parts I did understand, makes sense. Thank you. I knew someone on here would have an answer. It did seem odd that they were only over what would be the windows and not the rest of the ship. Thank you!

Not at all. I didn't understand a lot of what you said but the parts I did understand, makes sense. Thank you. I knew someone on here would have an answer. It did seem odd that they were only over what would be the windows and not the rest of the ship. Thank you!

You are very welcome.

It's zoomed in now by the way, you can see many of the windows in detail now - but some grey spots still come and go at random.

Rick

Archived