Oceania Air in the UK

LaCroisiereS'amuse

Has anyone taken the Oceania "free" air on a UK booking' date=' paid the deviation fee, and then upgraded using their BA Miles/Avios?? Is this even possible? :confused:[/quote']

It is not just a matter of the Deviation Fee. You would first have to establish with the Oceania UK people IF the contract that they hold with that Airline allows for the purchase of the class of Ticket that would be upgrade-able, and then find out what the up-charge would be, BEFORE accepting the Deviation.

Stan and I were able to do just that successfully, dealing directly with Oceania on an American Airlines upgrade, but were unable to guide a friend through the same process with Delta, just a few weeks ago.

"O" flight department in Southampton have just confirmed that the fare contracts they have in the UK with BA do not allow for miles upgrades' date=' but I'm not too worried as Premium Economy from Rio to LHR is only a £249 supplement over "O" free air :)[/quote']

WOW What a deal!

I only hope, for your sake, that Premium Economy on BA is a step up from Economy Comfort on Delta.

• 1 month later...
"O" flight department in Southampton have just confirmed that the fare contracts they have in the UK with BA do not allow for miles upgrades' date=' but I'm not too worried as Premium Economy from Rio to LHR is only a £249 supplement over "O" free air :)[/quote']

Are you on the Barcelona to Rio cruise this November?

We have taken Oceania air and have been told by our TA that Oceania will route us via Madrid from Rio to Heathrow.

It looks like we will have to go for a deviation in order to take the direct flight.

Does the £249 include the deviation charge?

We are on the Barcelona to Rio cruise next November and are taking the £249 upgrade coming back. I don't mind an indirect flight as at least we can stretch our legs. I think I will save my Avios points for a longer haul flight anyway.... I have a long bucket list!

We are on the Barcelona to Rio cruise next November and are taking the £249 upgrade coming back. I don't mind an indirect flight as at least we can stretch our legs. I think I will save my Avios points for a longer haul flight anyway.... I have a long bucket list!

Hi Broadwater,

Which carrier is used for the Rio - Madrid leg on the indirect flight?

We think it might be BA too, on a code share with Iberia.

We are contemplating flying back on the 7th. We're waiting to hear back from or TA as to what Oceanias transfers involve and the options they give you on disembarkation day.

Whether there will be a dayroom at a hotel or something similar.

Just FYI I have just finished speaking to TA and have been told that Oceania are not offering a day room or a paid for excursion prior to transferring to the airport on the 8th :(

That would mean being dropped off at airport around 10am to await either a 7:30pm or 11:55pm flight.

I think that's pretty poor.

We think it might be BA too, on a code share with Iberia.

Being that it is a flight for Rio to Madrid, I am pretty sure it is the other way around - Iberia flight with BA code share. The BA flight is direct Rio to LHR.

You can always arrange for a private tour of Rio (or share the cost with others) before going to the airport later in the day. It would be better and cheaper than what O would offer.

.....You can always arrange for a private tour of Rio (or share the cost with others) before going to the airport later in the day. It would be better and cheaper than what O would offer.

We had considered that but not many tours would be happy carrying everyone's luggage around for the duration of the tour. Space would be an issue.

The idea of having a tour on the 7th, shower and then dinner before heading out to the airport is looking favourite.

This problem must come up a lot. It's disappointing that Oceania don't offer a trip or hotel if the air is booked with the cruise. Other cruise lines often do and it takes the pressure off the last day when travelling is always so tiring. We have the same issue in Sydney soon but we booked our own air transport. I looked into luggage storage etc but settled for a private day tour with airport drop off.

Will there be a deviation fee if you fly back early?

You have me thinking now. I may look into a day tour in Rio or perhaps a hotel that we can use for the day. Also, I wonder if this issue has been discussed before for Rio so will investigate!

When our cruise finished in San Diego last year we took a taxi to the Colorado Bay Hotel, the bellboy took our luggage and we spent the day having lunch there and enjoying the beach. The kind concierge on our Celebrity cruise had e mailed ahead for us to check it was OK for us to do this. In reality when we arrived they just assumed we were checking in later!

The transfer arrangements in Bangkok is even worse. Oceania have booked us on a BA flight past midnight despite there being day time lights on Thai Airlines. When we asked about what arrangements would be made. None. There had been an option of a day room at Novotel (which we had never been told about) but Oceania allocation was full. Fortunately we were able to book directly with the hotel at half the price. If Oceania wants to be considered on a par with the top cruise lines they must up their game.

Archived