Evaluation of Allegrissimo. Real or perceived value? Alternatives, ideas & tactics?

Skipper Tim

I called. The answer, as you might have suspected, is "No". No kids Allegrissimo for you! You get the booze package and like it or pay per drink. Next in line!!!

Thanks for making the call.

Well I think they have missed a trick :)

Annie

Well, maybe it would be a good idea to introduce an non-alcohol AI for adults as well.

I've done the maths and if you do not like drinking alcohol, or you do it just occasionally, its much better value to make your own combination. For example:

- 14 soda drinks / juices prebooked: 34€

- 14 Water Bottles 1L prebooked: 26€

- 10 Doremi package (Milkshakes / sodas / virgin cocktails / juice) on board: 23 *1,15 = 26,45€

- 4 Alchocol - "cocktail of the day": 5,7 * 1,15 * 4= 26,22€

- 2 Free cheap champagne + 2 free farewell drinks

That sums 112,67€. Assuming you are a couple, that means 8,05€ per person per day. Compared to the 23€ of the prebooked allegrissimo is just a third of the cost.

If you count 1L water bottle as 2 drink units, we then have a combination of 60 drinking units per cruise. That is 4,29 drink units per day per person. Or 1,87€ per unit which is great value even for an on-land restaurant.

Even if you add another water / soda pack in the price is reasonable.

Then, you have to take into account that most people have breakfast and lunch in the buffet, where you can have free water and low quality juice. That raises the drinking units per day to about 6 per person, which is a enough to many people.

So, if you can happily make your non alcohol drink combo for 8€ per day and get on with it, MSC could create a package of lets say 12€ per day for adults and actually rise its drinks income by 50% on those customers.

The customer on the other hand would not have the hassle with the coupons and forget about the magic combination of packages.

It's just that I have the feeling that with the Allegrissimo people are forced to drink in excess in order to convince themselves that it is great value

By the way, IMO the famous "they don't offer free water in the MDR" is a bit ridiculous since you can have enough water for 26€. Even if you drink 1L per night it's just 52€. I find much worse that they do not offer the fantastic free lemonade that RCI does :D

Well, maybe it would be a good idea to introduce an non-alcohol AI for adults as well.

I've done the maths and if you do not like drinking alcohol, or you do it just occasionally, its much better value to make your own combination. For example:

- 10 Doremi package (Milkshakes / sodas / virgin cocktails / juice) on board: 23 *1,15 = 26,45€

That sums 112,67€. Assuming you are a couple, that means 8,05€ per person per day. Compared to the 23€ of the prebooked allegrissimo is just a third of the cost.

If you count 1L water bottle as 2 drink units, we then have a combination of 60 drinking units per cruise. That is 4,29 drink units per day per person. Or 1,87€ per unit which is great value even for an on-land restaurant.

Even if you add another water / soda pack in the price is reasonable.

Then, you have to take into account that most people have breakfast and lunch in the buffet, where you can have free water and low quality juice. That raises the drinking units per day to about 6 per person, which is a enough to many people.

So, if you can happily make your non alcohol drink combo for 8€ per day and get on with it, MSC could create a package of lets say 12€ per day for adults and actually rise its drinks income by 50% on those customers.

The customer on the other hand would not have the hassle with the coupons and forget about the magic combination of packages.

It's just that I have the feeling that with the Allegrissimo people are forced to drink in excess in order to convince themselves that it is great value

By the way, IMO the famous "they don't offer free water in the MDR" is a bit ridiculous since you can have enough water for 26€. Even if you drink 1L per night it's just 52€. I find much worse that they do not offer the fantastic free lemonade that RCI does :D

I just did the calculation in my head and my combo would be cocktails and doremi.

I like a cocktail at night pre and sometimes post dinner and 1 non-alcoholic drink during the day.

I stop drinking coffee whilst on board.

Wine I can generally take it or leave it and water I always told I never drink enough but the water in the buffet is OK for me.

Like yourself, I just don't drink enough for the Allegrissimo package to work.

Please MSC follow Celebrity's example and introduce a package for the lightweight drinkers.

Annie

For example:

Elmartellama, I love your analysis. I like sensible, cold analysis.

To clarify, the above is based upon a 7-night cruise for any two people sharing drinks carnets (but not necessarily a cabin). Double up the daily cost if you would have that for yourself or play with the different elements to suit.

This is a relatively old thread now and I am surprised, re-reading, at some of the things I posted before my last MSC cruise (Santos-Venice, March 2013).

Rather than being disappointed with the quality of things (e.g. red wine) I hoped for, on the Fantasia I adapted and went with the top quality of the things which were available: stupendous cocktails, incredible coffees, milkshakes and smoothies that I would never have otherwise tried and much, much more. It was an education by the bar staff to me. This was better than a guest lecture in the theatre.

I am looking forward to the 'next lesson'.

Allegrissimo is much better value than I first thought. To obtain the best value, one needs to sample what is recommended rather than ask for one's usual. It is a new World. It should be embraced.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Elmartellama, I love your analysis. I like sensible, cold analysis.

To clarify, the above is based upon a 7-night cruise for any two people sharing drinks carnets (but not necessarily a cabin). Double up the daily cost if you would have that for yourself or play with the different elements to suit.

This is a relatively old thread now and I am surprised, re-reading, at some of the things I posted before my last MSC cruise (Santos-Venice, March 2013).

Rather than being disappointed with the quality of things (e.g. red wine) I hoped for, on the Fantasia I adapted and went with the top quality of the things which were available: stupendous cocktails, incredible coffees, milkshakes and smoothies that I would never have otherwise tried and much, much more. It was an education by the bar staff to me. This was better than a guest lecture in the theatre.

I am looking forward to the 'next lesson'.

Allegrissimo is much better value than I first thought. To obtain the best value, one needs to sample what is recommended rather than ask for one's usual. It is a new World. It should be embraced.

Tim.

Hi Tim

I know this is an old thread but it contains a lot of useful info - maybe we could persuade CC to make it a sticky :)

Someone on the Celebrity board, created a spreadsheet which allowed you to calculate your likely spend.

The Allegrissimo package on my repo cruise is priced at 23 Euros/day.

I know from a land based holiday which allowed us 4 alcoholic drinks plus a glass of wine a day, that I ended up giving away my vouchers.

For me breakeven point would be could I drink 3/4 cocktails a day EVERY day?? Answer is no and I LOVE MSC cocktails.

So for me it will be a combination of Doremi and cocktail packages - unfortunately I cannot book in advance.

I may get close to the spend equivalent of Allegrissimo but I won't top it.

So thanks again for the thread Tim.

Annie

This is a relatively old thread now and I am surprised, re-reading, at some of the things I posted before my last MSC cruise

Like saying "Perhaps MSC is not my cruise line"

Your not actually cruisetrail are you? :)

Edited by papcx

I would recommend this package to anyone that isn't a direct descendant of a camel.

I travel with my wife (tea-total at home, couple of cocktails on holiday), daughter (6yrs old) & Mother (wine with dinner & a few cocktails on holiday). I am the only one in the family that you could possibly say "likes a drink"...& I'm a lightweight!

Last year I had to persuade the girls the package was worth it, I think they agreed because they had some notion that I was going to go all "Animal House" & drink their share for them!

That didn't happen. However, when adding up the receipts at end of cruise we found we were 3x up on what we'd spent.

Juices, water, coffees & ice cream (for the ladies, you understand) soon start to add up...

I would recommend this package to anyone that isn't a direct descendant of a camel.

I travel with my wife (tea-total at home, couple of cocktails on holiday), daughter (6yrs old) & Mother (wine with dinner & a few cocktails on holiday). I am the only one in the family that you could possibly say "likes a drink"...& I'm a lightweight!

Last year I had to persuade the girls the package was worth it, I think they agreed because they had some notion that I was going to go all "Animal House" & drink their share for them!

That didn't happen. However, when adding up the receipts at end of cruise we found we were 3x up on what we'd spent.

Juices, water, coffees & ice cream (for the ladies, you understand) soon start to add up...

That's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

If our son came with us although being 26 certain beers are no good for him & he doesn't like wines etc so he would have to buy pop vouchers which he does drink & us wine vouchers for dinner ,even if he could have the kids allegrissimo we wouldn't be prepared to buy that as well with no alcholic wine included etc far too expensive for no booze ,but if all where tea total now that is a diffrent matter & would be good value for them ...glad he's not coming on our latest cruise wer'e on allegrissimo :D

Hello, my partner and I are off booked onto a Med cruise on the Splendida in January 2014. We really like the sound of the alegrissimo non premium as we have the option to get it for £20pppd and feel we will both get our money's worth with the offer.

Our problem lies with the fact that we have company on our cruise, my partners auntie and her friend are also travelling with us. We booked at the same time although under different booking numbers. We are in completely separate cabins on different decks but we do plan on dining together. Now one doesn't drink alcohol and the other is a relatively light drinker and neither wish to take the AI alegrissimo package

MSC state that, "The package must be booked before the cruise by all guests occupying the same cabin, belonging to the same booking number and by all guests booked under different bookings' numbers but travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table."

Now essentially this means my partner and I couldn't get the package without the other 2 also getting it, however we are wondering if this is likely to be tracked? How would they know we haven't met on the ship as strangers and wish to dine together? If we did purchase the package in advance, what would be the likely outcome if they did find out we all travelled together?

Just wondering if anyone has any advice in this situation or has been in the same dilemma. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Well if you have not linked your bookings, they would not know. Then again they would not be seating you at the same table either, your bookings would need to be linked for them to seat you together. You could leave them unlinked then speak to the Maitre D' when you get onboard and ask him to allocate you all to the same table.

Well if you have not linked your bookings, they would not know. Then again they would not be seating you at the same table either, your bookings would need to be linked for them to seat you together. You could leave them unlinked then speak to the Maitre D' when you get onboard and ask him to allocate you all to the same table.

Hi AmoMondo, thanks for your prompt reply.

Am I correct to presume in that case that your dining is all pre-booked and seating pre-allocated? I am just checking as I have cruised with NCL on three separate occasions and it has been 'freestyle' cruising. The main dining rooms have worked very much like visiting a restaurant at home, as in you decide where to eat at whichever time you please and you go to the restaurant, tell the assistant how many are dining and you are allocated a table when one becomes available.

I am also wondering if the tables are small for parties of 1 or 2 or 3 to 4or if you are seated with other guests at one big table?

Sorry for my unknowledgable approach, I'm just realising how I am still very much new to the different types of cruises :)

Thanks again for your help!

Dinner is 2 fixed dining times at a specific table. They have tables for 2, 4, 6, or 8.

You normally express your preference for first or second sitting and table size when you make your booking. They try to accommodate if they can but it is not guaranteed.

When you check in and get your cruise cards, your seating, restaurant ( ships have 2 MDRs) and table number will be printed on your cards. If it isn't what you want, there will be a note in the Daily Programme in your cabin of where you can meet the Maitre D' to change a table assignment (its usually in a lounge near the main MDR or in the main MDR itself). Reception will also be able to tell you where to go.

It's open seating at breakfast and lunch.

• 4 months later...

...and yet currently nearing the end of my third week in an all inclusive hotel, and suffering from the symptoms, I still wonder if the cost of Allegrissimo is better spent on good wine, which is not available on Allegrissimo, instead.

I can easily make the case 'as well as' but if one has to make the choice, what would one choose?

The included red wine in my hotel is foul. Do I really want to live off cocktails for the duration of the cruise?

Suggestions please. The debate should continue....

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

...and yet currently nearing the end of my third week in an all inclusive hotel, and suffering from the symptoms, I still wonder if the cost of Allegrissimo is better spent on good wine, which is not available on Allegrissimo, instead.

I can easily make the case 'as well as' but if one has to make the choice, what would one choose?

The included red wine in my hotel is foul. Do I really want to live off cocktails for the duration of the cruise?

Tim.

Use the money you save on the other stuff to invest in the better reds and drink them slowly and appreciate them so a bottle last 2 or 3 evenings! If you. An bear to stay up late for second I'll even let you have some of mine!

Currently waiting in Glasgow's sky lounge for my Emirates flight to Dubai for my next Costa cruise. Trying to get my £18's worth! Actually their merlot isn't bad! and the coffee was very good. Add in free wifi and the complete absence of little people squawking and it's worth it for sure!

Tim.

We really enjoyed the wine in the Allegrissimo, especially the Rosé, this really was very good!

So we would never spent the costs for wine instead of taking the Allegrissimo.

..................the bottles were left a discreet distance away for the waiter to pour - when he had nothing else to do. If we had waited too long we would occasionally help ourselves knowing that we shouldn'.

Yes, and that would be the experience. So, help yourself without guilt, and don't worry about it.

Any idea whether the included wines in Yacht Club are any good? I won't be terribly impressed if we pay so much extra and end up with horrid wine! I'm resigned to the fact that there is only a handful of cocktails included but I will be very sad if I can't enjoy a couple of glasses of nice wine each evening.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

We are also booked on the Divina for a back to back in May.

Having never sailed on MSC, I called them and asked them what pkges they will offer, and this is what they told me they have as of now;

1)Allegrissimo Premium, approx $57. a day per person, ($114.x7days=$798 for 2 people) all adults in cabin must purchase, and includes all mixed drinks, beers, sodas, water, etc.

2)Allegrissimo Classic, $44. a day per person, ($88x7days=$616.for 2 people) all adults in cabin must purchase,and includes many mixed drinks(not top labels), draft beer, soda, water, etc.

3)Allegrissimo Escape, a voucher program where you purchase 15 vouchers for $72., and you purchase what ever amount of vouchers you think you'll use during your cruise. They can be used for all drinks in the Allegrissimo Classic, except for draft beer.

4)American Beer pkge., a voucher program where you purchase 14 vouchers for $52.. These vouchers include most bottled beers.

There is a soda pkge that is $8. a day per person for soda, bottled water.

There are also 2 bottled wine pkges where you order 7-10 bottles of wine, but this wine is only to be used in the Restaurants, not sure of the prices.

What is important to know is you can purchase these pkges. on board the ship, but they will add a 15% grat. to the price, so its cheaper to buy by phone to MSC, or online ahead of time!

What reviewers of past cruise have told me so far is the prices on MSC are less then other cruise lines, mixed drinks $7.25 plus grat., bottled beers $5. plus grat., bottled water, and soda around $2..

Good luck, have a good cruise!

Any idea whether the included wines in Yacht Club are any good? I won't be terribly impressed if we pay so much extra and end up with horrid wine! I'm resigned to the fact that there is only a handful of cocktails included but I will be very sad if I can't enjoy a couple of glasses of nice wine each evening.

Beware of the "two reds, two whites and a rose" choice. While the wines may change as they did on Poesia, the Divina wines mentioned above were not great over Chirstmas. One of five, the Italian "merlot" was OK, and the rosato a close second, but the other red needed much airing, and we found the two whites a bit tart. While we were not YC people, we did order the "dinner wine" package @ $120us for ten bottles. At that price we could not complain, but if paying YC prices, one would hope for a better selection.

In the YC LeMuse, we found the choices of wine very good. If you tried one and didn't like it, they would bring another. They change the kinds available each night but will be glad to bring something else that would be "included". Of course, they have a wine list if you want to order something different that is not included. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know the answer to this question: If we have purchased the Premium Beverage Package, and we are on the private island Great Stirrup Cay, do we still get the beverages included from the Beach Bars?

We were on GSC from Divina over Christmas, and the beach bars menus were limited, although they did honor the coupons. But, as everything MSC, it is evolving, and perhaps improving. Hint, there was better selection farther from the tender dock, apparently less demand and not so sold out.