Cabin Stewards are so Cautious......

sail7seas

Anything like this ever happen to you?

DH brought a new pair of leather sandals on our recent Westerdam cruise. He wore them two days of the cruise and they hurt his feet. I know he tried them on when he bought them as I was with him but they hurt. I saw no reason to bring them home as he wouldn't wear them again. They sat in the closet the rest of the cruise and when I started to organize things to start packing a few days before our 14 days aboard would end, I put the sandals in the wastebasket. I hoped the steward would find someone who could use them.

That night we returned to the room and found the sandals on the counter. :) Steward must have thought we made a mistake and was taking care of them for us. He could see they were hardly worn.

Next morning, I put the sandals back in the basket and sure enough, Steward 'rescued' them again. :)

Third time, he finally removed them. I appreciated his verifying so carefully we really meant to discard them. AND I sincerely hope he found someone who might find them comfortable and enjoy using them.

Have you tried to toss something and encountered such care from your Steward?

No, I cannot say that I have ever been involved in a scenario such as this. But, I am sort of curious why you didn't just present the sandals to the steward personally and ask him to give them to someone who might be able to use them?

No, I cannot say that I have ever been involved in a scenario such as this. But, I am sort of curious why you didn't just present the sandals to the steward personally and ask him to give them to someone who might be able to use them?

Because we did not often see him. He and his assistant did a wonderful job taking care of us but they have so many cabins to do, I didn't feel it appropriate to carry the sandals down the hallway to look in other people's cabins to see where he was working..... to do my personal errand. Their time is carefully measured for them to take care of everyone and had I seen him in our cabin I would have done that but we did not ever enter when he was cleaning.

In years past, we used to get chatty and spend a few minutes gabbing with our stewards. Seeing how many cabins they now have to take care, they do not have time for that anymore. A shame, we miss it.

DH brought a new pair of leather sandals on our recent Westerdam cruise. He wore them two days of the cruise and they hurt his feet. I know he tried them on when he bought them as I was with him but they hurt. I saw no reason to bring them home as he wouldn't wear them again. They sat in the closet the rest of the cruise and when I started to organize things to start packing a few days before our 14 days aboard would end, I put the sandals in the wastebasket. I hoped the steward would find someone who could use them.

That night we returned to the room and found the sandals on the counter. :) Steward must have thought we made a mistake and was taking care of them for us. He could see they were hardly worn.

Next morning, I put the sandals back in the basket and sure enough, Steward 'rescued' them again. :)

Third time, he finally removed them. I appreciated his verifying so carefully we really meant to discard them. AND I sincerely hope he found someone who might find them comfortable and enjoy using them.

Yes, it is almost impossible to throw away something that appears to have value. I now put a signed note on such things, relieving their uncertainty and protecting them from any suspicion of theft by, for instance, a supervisor. "(name), these shoes don't fit me. Do you know anyone who would like to have them? (signed)"

I've had that happen on two occasions. The HAL stewards are honest and trustworthy. I rarely lock my camera or IPad and have left money lying on my bed when rushing out to an excursion or elsewhere. Nothing has ever disappeared. Maybe I'm being foolish, but I have always felt totally safe on HAL ships.

At the end of 65 days on the Amsterdam I, too, had a pair of shoes that hurt my feet and were not going home with me. I offered them to the bar waitress who serviced our mini-bar. She would only take them if I wrote a note that it was a gift. I guess they have to be very careful.

This is my DH favorite tip of travel worldwide...the bulk of his suitcase is "giveaways"....things that he's outgown (physically or fondly)! We ALL have closets full of these items! (don't deny it!) He begins by packing all those items - none of the clothes are shabby or treadbare! After gently wearing each item, he leaves them for someone along the way. Whether it be on the ship or in a hotel room, he leaves a note "this is my donation for you or any one who can use it". The benefit is twofold: for my DH and me: More room in the (almost empty) suitcase for take home purchases! For the recipients: typically "perfect" attire for those who want or can use it. A "win-win" for all!!

Yes, I had placed several items of clothing in the trash can that I no longer wanted only to find them on my bed that evening. So the next day I informed our room guy that I no long wanted these items of clothing. Well, two days later when we were in port my DW spotted a crew member wearing some of the clothing that I had discarded.

Let's suppose that something that looked to have some value accidentally fell into the trash,yes even more than once, and the steward threw it out. Boy what a stink that would make. He is better off taking it out until you specifically tell him to dispose of it.

No, it has never been a 'problem' for me! I usually discard my old pair of Asics walking footwear in the garbage receptacle in my stateroom toward the end of my cruise & they are always disposed of with the rest of the garbage! :)

Yes, it is almost impossible to throw away something that appears to have value. I now put a signed note on such things, relieving their uncertainty and protecting them from any suspicion of theft by, for instance, a supervisor. "(name), these shoes don't fit me. Do you know anyone who would like to have them? (signed)"

I would have done the same thing. Notes work very well.

Let's suppose that something that looked to have some value accidentally fell into the trash,yes even more than once, and the steward threw it out. Boy what a stink that would make. He is better off taking it out until you specifically tell him to dispose of it.

I dunno. If a person is dumb enough to leave something in the same position knowing (after the first time) that it could end up in the trash (or on the floor) maybe they deserve said heartache. If I knock something off a table and onto the floor, I am going to put it back on the table further from the edge.

Never had anything like that happen as we have never had anything to throw away on a ship.

If we anything like new shoes, etc., we wear them several times at home to make certain that they are all right.

Walking around the house a bit in sandals is hard to gauge, REAL walking. It's not possible for those of us in New England to do REAL walking in sandals in winter weather. :eek:

The theory is fine and rather obvious but there's the question of practicality and reality. :D

Yes.

I have no question he was following instructions that have been firmly implanted during their training. When I hear some of the things cruisers carry on about, imagine if a steward tossed out their favorite ------- (fill in the blank)

Nothing short of a free cruise will COMPENSATE. (Grrr, I hate that word.)

Left a straw hat bought on HMC and worn once, before disembarking Noordam Monday, with a note, "for Rah," our sweet young sub-steward.

Hope he likes it.

J

;) IF he mentioned he liked it, how nice of you.

This reminds me of a few years ago, when we tried to discard a garbage can that was past its usefulness. We put it out at the curb twice, empty, but the garbagemen just left it there, thinking it was just another can. Finally had to put a note on it, and then they took it away.

Yes I have and the steward would ask me later in the day if I really meant to thrown them [shoes & clothes] away. Told him yes and to please put them in a box for charity as I know HAL donates such stuff. I buy good clothing & espensive shoes so I am not throwing crap away. If I have a garment that malfunctioned, I will cut it up before I stick it in the garbage.:)

In Alaska, we bought a soft-sided duffel bag for some extra items. Turned out the wooden frame smelled strongly (to me) of wood smoke, so I put it near the trash can with a note asking the stewards to dispose of it. It looked PERFECT and new; it just had a woodsmoke odor.

The steward wrote on our note, "Are you sure you want to throw this away?"

We then wrote "Yes, please dispose..." and we signed the note.

Only after that was it taken away.

We appreciated the extra care the stewards take to be certain they are not disposing of anything valuable.

In other news, while ashore on our recent Westerdam cruise I noticed I'd lost a very inexpensive little bracelet I'd worn since Istanbul last year. Upon return to our cabin, there it was, center stage on the bar counter ... where the steward knew we'd see it. He'd rescued it, I guess, from the floor. Well done!

Instead of throwing the sandals out, I would have put them on the counter with a note telling the steward the sandals could either be given away or thrown away and thanking him for taking care of the matter.

When we threw away a backpack with broken straps, we put it in the trash but put a note with it explaining that the broken straps made it unusable for us on our journey home, but if he or someone else could use it, feel free to take it.

We wrote the note for two reasons. One was so the steward knew we meant to throw it away. The second reason was to give him permission to take it since we didn't know what the ship's policy was.

Archived