# of suitcases

mtaylor04

My DH and myself have three suitcases between the two of us. I wonder if we are bringing to much stuff. We had everything in two suitcases but one weighed 47 pounds and the other 41 pounds so I spread the items out among three suitcases. Last year after we brought gifts in alaska one of the suitcases weighed 50 pounds and it cost us an extra $50 at the airport.

How much luggage do you typically bring?

Mary

1 full-size checked, 1 carry-on pp. This time we're schlepping scuba gear so we'll have an "extra" checked bag. We really load up our checked bags, though, because I'm a platinum flyer on AA, and they never charge me for over-weight bags (he said confidently as he packs for a Friday departure!! :rolleyes: ).

Our first cruise was a 12 day Med... two suitcases each: two large rollers, one medium roller, one rolling garment.

It only took one trip more for us to realize that one medium roller and one garment bag were sufficient for the two of us, and that holds a tux too!

We (meaning I) do laundry and repeat on formal nights. So what?

I admit that I've gotten in the habit of filling my carry-on with laundry and souvenirs and checking it on the way back:)

We bring 3 suitcases, 1 golf bag and 1 or 2 carry on. My DH says I pack for a month rather than just a week or more. But I hate to do laundry while on vacation.

We did a 18 day cruise and had to ship 2 boxes home from Miami (Fed Ex) just to get on airplane home. We bought hammocks in Nicaragua. Plus one of my bags was still overweight (an that was when it was 70lbs) had to unpack and repack into other suitcases or pack in carry on bag. But it all worked out ok. We made the weight and had 3 suitcases, 1golf bag and 2 carry on. What a load.

We do the formal night with tux one night and white dinner jacket the next and of course different fromal dresses for me. That takes up lots of space.

We have gone to Alaska 2 times, needed jackets for 1 day only each time. Otherwise we had sunny weather in 70ies. I would not pack extra sweaters, gloves etc again for an Alaska cruise - would probably be in 40ies tho.

At least with the golf bag I can add extra shoes to its pockets so that helps.

This next cruise I am flying alone- DH is not joining me. So I will just make it work with 1 suitcase and 1 carry on (extra clothes if big suitcase is missing)

I am slightly disabled so will have $$ ready for skycaps to help me.

I hate packing! I also believe you should never take more than you can handle by yourself. For me that means 1 medium sized suitcase and one carry on. Both wheeled!!

edited to add....Maybe I'm not taking enough stuff :D !

I usually bring way TOO much stuff!! (sigh)...

But I guess I would rather have too much, than too little!!! :D

Here is a useful web site about packing for a cruise:

http://cruisediva/focus_fashion.htm

(For some reason, the link isn't working... just go to www. cruise diva. com)... but leave out the spaces... For some reason, that word is "blocked" as tho it is a curse word or something!!)

We usually take one carry one each and that included when we went to Alaska. We never check luggage. This time were going to Europe for 10 days prior to our cruise so we are each taking one back pack and one small day pack for cameras, etc. I did a trial run and mine weighed 17 pounds including the bag. I always end up doing laundry on the ship and this time I'll do it on the first day.

For my 21-day cruise, I brought one 25" rolling suitcase, one medium-sized duffle and one rolling backpack for a carry-on. I filled the suitcase and duffle only just over half-full each to accommodate purchases and I still had plenty of room left over when I returned.

For a 7-day cruise, I just use the 25" rolling suitcase and leave plenty of room in it, plus the rolling backpack. If I can't lift the suitcase, I take stuff out.

One of my packing tricks is to pull everything out I think I might want to take and put it on a over-the-door hanger. Then, I go through it to see what matches, what will go with what, etc. It's amazing how this helps to see that I really don't need two blue dresses or two yellow shirts.

Typically for us, one medium (24" or 26") suitcase and one carry-on apiece, with a shared foldover garment bag for tuxes, dresses, etc.

Prefer to take too much rather than not enough!

We did a 2 wk Hawaii cruise last Sept. My DH took more than me:)

We took 1 large suitcase each and a garment bag. We have a small folding suitcase that we pack incase we (I) buy to much that we can put stuff in.

One thing I've learned is that during the day on a cruise all I ever wear is a bathing suit and coverups. So I hardly take any daytime clothes anymore. Same with shoes and purses. Not need to bring so many. A couple pairs of shorts, tops, sandals.

Were doing a 18 day repo cruise through the canal next May on the Coral Princess. I figure that because Princess as laundry facilities on board that I can even take less. Doesn't take much to do some t-shirts, underwear, etc a couple of times.

As we are sailing into our home port of Vancouver we won't have to worry about packing anything we bought during the cruise:D

Archived