Room Service

UpcountryTravelers

This may seem like a silly question but how do you tip if you aren't paying with your cruise card? Also coming from the UK where our tip culture is different how do I know how much is usual to tip for things like room service etc?

Thanks

When room service delivers, you have to sign for it and you have the opportunity to add a tip to the ticxket. I always add 15-20% as the tip and I base the amount what I would pay for that item in the USA.

Room service staff are included in the daily gratuity that is charged to your onboard account. However, many people also like to tip a dollar or two when a delivery is made.

If you add a tip to the ticket it will be shared by the room service staff. If you give a cash tip, it all can be kept by the person who made the delivery.

This may seem like a silly question but how do you tip if you aren't paying with your cruise card? Also coming from the UK where our tip culture is different how do I know how much is usual to tip for things like room service etc?

Thanks

I usually pick up a roll of $1 bills before a cruise and stash in the safe. One for each person served by room service each time. Seems to be appreciated (and of course doesn't rule our $5 or more cash tips for exceptional service).

This is a little off the original question but might help.

I was told by the purser on the Sapphire Princess recently that 35% of the tips charged on the folio to each cabin goes straight to the steward and 65% is split among the others on the tip pool. If the passenger leaves the tip on the folio as charged, the steward may keep any cash tips that are given to them. If the passenger chooses to decrease or remove the folio tips, then any cash tips given to your steward is split. He said all cash tips are supposed to be reported by the steward to the hotel manager and once the audit is done, if the folio was unchanged, the steward would be allowed to keep the cash. Stewards can lose their job if they fail to report their tips. I am not 100% clear who all is on this tip pool, but I know the bartenders are not included.

I always use the tip envelopes and write our name and cabin number, along with the stewards name on the envelope.

When room service delivers, you have to sign for it and you have the opportunity to add a tip to the ticxket. I always add 15-20% as the tip and I base the amount what I would pay for that item in the USA.

Rusalka42,

As stated by sunneesmile's post above...you can add what extra tip you want to give to the room service sign ticket that the staff will hand you, which will be added to your Sign & Sail card...or (as I do) give a cash tip also. This tip will be distributed to the entire staff and not given just to the one person who brings the food to your cabin.

Thanks

Room service is included in the daily fee they put on your card but you can double tip, they don't mind.:D

This is a little off the original question but might help.

I was told by the purser on the Sapphire Princess recently that 35% of the tips charged on the folio to each cabin goes straight to the steward and 65% is split among the others on the tip pool. If the passenger leaves the tip on the folio as charged, the steward may keep any cash tips that are given to them. If the passenger chooses to decrease or remove the folio tips, then any cash tips given to your steward is split. He said all cash tips are supposed to be reported by the steward to the hotel manager and once the audit is done, if the folio was unchanged, the steward would be allowed to keep the cash. Stewards can lose their job if they fail to report their tips. I am not 100% clear who all is on this tip pool, but I know the bartenders are not included.

I always use the tip envelopes and write our name and cabin number, along with the stewards name on the envelope.

Your waitstaff is included in the tipping pool (and that includes those in traditional, anytime, Horizon dining rooms). So the best thing is to leave your autotips alone. If you give a tip to the room service server, they will let their supervisor know. That way, when they check to see if you remove the autotip or not, that will decide if the server (and anyone else in the tipping pool for waitstaff and cabin service) can keep that money.

• 2 weeks later...
for instance, I could write in or call for breakfast pancakes,etc??:confused:

We always sail in a regular balcony and have always called room service and been able to get omelets, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels etc. Not sure about pancakes but it never hurts to try. We have always found the room service staff to be very accommodating.

• 4 months later...
Could someone repost the room service menus, please? The link for the former posting seems to be broken.

Thank you!

The link is not broken, but my free usage for displaying the pictures on that web site has been used up for my 30 day period. It will be visible again on July 14.

However, if you e-mail me at caribill at yahoo dot com I will e-mail the photos to you.

Thanks

I do not because it is included in the $12 daily charge. Others will say they do tip so it's a personal choice you have to make.

Archived